Nissan Primera TSpec would you buy one

Vince70

My old work mate has offered me a very nice looking 06 Nissan Primera TSpec petrol which has done 70000 miles and has every option ticked such as a car phone and sat nav etc and I can have it for the PX price as he has had it in the family from new and doesn’t want to see it scrapped and can have it for the bargain price of £300 so for that I won’t worry about it having issues but it looks in lovely condition and has had a lot of money spent over the years.

The MOT is out  and it will need a new tyre maybe and  front wiper blades plus might need  a back box and I will be getting it for my father and just wondered if these are good Japanese reliability or do they have a hint of the Renault Laguna about them and do I have to look for out for anything after I buy it.

This is not the car but what it looks like.

8D6A7564-7DA6-405D-9DA2-AC9A6323C697.jpeg

For what it's worth, they share no parts with the Renault Laguna, this is a man in the pub myth. They were developed before the Renault/Nissan alliance. Even the "DCi" engine is a Nissan one (also shit). 

I drove a 1.8 one when they were quite new and didn't like it... I do quite like the styling and I think it'd be a fine £300 car. 

I absolutely love the generations of Primera that came before this. Mechanically they were almost all totally unbreakable, They drove really sweetly, everything was screwed together really well and they got the proportions of the car nice but forgot to put any styling onto it, then used every shade of grey imaginable in the interior. Peak Japanese.

These are pretty much the opposite. They actually tried to style them and totally forgot to make them drive sweetly (They aren't bad, just not a patch on the previous gen), build them well (the plastics all feel thin and a bit shit, very Renault in places, in fact) and some of the range loved to detonate mechanically. Particularly the diesels. Although i think the Pez models are pretty much all carried over from the last models and trouble free.

The eGT was one of my favourite pool cars at work. Fast, comfortable, fairly anonymous looks.

The worst thing with this newer model is that they have a very large turning circle in comparison.

I will admit now, for the very first time, it was I that giffered the front offside corner on the new work pool car trying to get it into the work car park.

I started looking at these before finding the xsara. They are very cheap, and it probably makes a good buy (my only experience is my dad having one brand new as a company car for 3 years) 

The built in radio stopped me though. Not a killer for all, but it was for me. Its all built into the screen, so yiu can't just upgrade to an sd card, or Bluetooth or dab... I did read a thread where someone stealthed another head unit in the car, but he had to keep one speaker wired to the old unit as its needed... 

Probably not a showstopper for some though. 

It’s a bit of turn of the century design and at the price why not? When it’s fully optioned like you say it’s interesting to see a) how many still work and b) what Nissan thought our thrusting executive wanted back then. For Better or worse just having another tick on your car CV is good enough a reason for me at least.

I currently have a p12 dizzle estate. The electrics are shit but other than that it's been a superb car.

Mine currently drains battery due to a faulty comfort module, it changes radio station on full lock and the cd changer loves to go nuts for 5mins for no reason. I've only had to change a wheel bearing, brakes and oil in 25k very abusive miles. 

Pleasant seating, good tech, drives well. One of the better cars I've had. Does everything my 2010 A4 estate did but better and at 5% of the asking price.

IMG_20200115_093304.jpg

The one abiding memory when dad had his was the screen going haywire, I was in the car! Radio full blast, air con on full at the floor, it just went amok! Apparently it wasnt the first time it did it and I remember going to the dealer with him and we drove away in something else, but I can't remember what that is. 

Imagine that's gr9 fun in 2020 let alone when it was under warranty, but I wouldn't be surprised if you dig deep there's a how to guide to fix it somewhere by now, if indeed it was a major thing/the computer system at all. 

Bar that it just looked bloody futuristic and amazing to me, think he had it after the Sharan, on a 52 plate (Sharan was 1999/v and on a 3 year lease so it makes sense) 

My Dad now says he doesn’t want the car as he’s checked the tax and it’s even more expensive than his Old  3 litre Jaag S type  he was telling me  it’s £330 a year so he’s given it a miss I think it’s only a 2 litre Petrol so I’m so sorry for wasting people’s time.

A mate of mine needs a new car so I’ve phoned him up to see if he wants it as it does seem a bit of a bargain and My friend who’s selling it wants it to go to a good home as it’s been in the family since new.