Mx-5 gone, pug 107 and 300C now here.

paulplom

5 hours ago, PrinceRupert said:

I've always kind of fancied a 300C with the 5.7l Hemi.  At the same time, I wouldn't actually want to spend my own money on one.  What's it like inside, as plasticky as I imagine, or a nice place to be?

You stop caring about the plastic with the hemi. Robust, not very squeaky/rattly, just SOLID like a van or something, but with a quiet, torquey V8 doing all the work

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. You can tell it's not European or Japanese. It's 100% yank.

In other news I walked down the garage and the guy was busy welding up an '02 avensis. I asked him about the chrysler and he said he's chasing a wiring fault for the abs and tc. Exactly what he told me five weeks ago. He reckoned he spent a couple of hours on it last week. Funny as it hasn't moved from outside where it's parked in about six weeks. I mentioned we're struggling as my mother keeps lending the pug and he offered me a '10 meriva for a loan as long as I want. No thanks. He started going on about prioritising and other peoples cars etc. I said you've had it eight weeks man why not prioritise that ffs. He just mumbled on and I waked away.

It's the fourth time I've chased it up and I think he's taking the piss. I'll give him a fortnight and if it's not sorted, I'll collect it and take it somewhere else. Bit of a shame as I struck up a rapport with him.

Sounds like he's hoping you'll get fucked off and sell it to him cheap. I'd get it out of there ASAFP.

Shiny bits:

The grille is Startech. Proper tuning arm for Chrysler. I hate them, but they're a legit thing that many left with from the showroom. Stick an eggcrate on and you'll stand out in a sea of 300Cs.
Satnav is standard.
You can do some tricks to see running hours of the engine and stuff in the digital dash displays.
The tortoiseshell wheel was associated with a higher spec trim on some

Oily bits:
Merc diesel spits inlet manifold lining into the turbo, the swirl pots got mentioned a lot - basically take the bits off, inspect, put back together is sensible as then you can see what's degrading and fix it before it lunches the engine
Gearbox is Mercedes 722.6 and needs the fluid changing every 44K because they said it was sealed for life and then that came true. Also the pin bushing seal for the gearbox loom leaks. It's cheap and easy to fix.
Front suspension is related to Merc S-class IIRC, rear suspension is Merc W211 E-class, but where Merc might have used cast/aluminium Chrysler used cheaper components.

There is nothing on that car that should stump any mechanic capable of dealing with an old E-Class diesel.

Get parts from Rockauto. Do not go to Mopar/ex Chrysler dealers as you will wonder at what point inflation reached early 20th century Germany levels.

24 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do they definitely all have satnav?  I've seen quite a few which didn't appear to have it, unless it's hidden away somewhere?

V6 petrols might not,  but I've never seen a 300C CRD or Hemi without it. SRT Design had an upgraded system.

• 5 months later...