Mx-5 gone, pug 107 and 300C now here.

paulplom

As he says, it's a solid bit of kit - I've had it fitted to my last two track cars and am confident that it is up to the job. Does take a bit of work to fit but is worth the effort. Aside from the protective element, it adds extra stiffness to the chassis - you should certainly be able to feel the difference when pressing on :)

handy place to mount a GoPro too 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Panel in boot removed.

What's the next step @gm?

looks like it’s time to start cutting ! there’s two little shelves that run along the side of the seatbelt towers that need to come off and you’ll need to take a chunk off the parcel shelf - should be fairly obvious if you hold the roll bar in place 

6 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

No idea what those wires are. Heated rear screen maybe? Looks like a bodge, but not one I remember!

My Wife's Monza was originally supplied with a hardtop, and the wiring plug sits in the passenger side of the parcel shelf.  We replaced the knackered roof, with one with a glass heated screen, and It was a case of plug and play.  The switch was already on the dash.  The guy that sold it, had a guide for those without switch.  The wiring is all there waiting to be used. 

5 hours ago, paulplom said:

No idea what this wire and relay is.

Mayve @motorpunk could shed some light.

20200803_155551.jpg

That big croc clip is presumably to connect to the battery, so the presence of a relay suggests it could be for a heated rear screen, there is a black wire running along the top of your parcel shelf that isn't standard and would go to the right area for the heated screen terminals. Seems a messy way to hook up to the battery though. Is there anything attached to the leads that come off the glass rear screen ? Your car is early enough not to have the loom as standard, even early hardtops had a plain glass window.

After a bit of a struggle it was finally in. I marked all the holes up and took it out again.

I bought some proper quality bosch hss drill bits in a fancy tin. Like you'd get in a fab shop. That was about a month ago and can I fuck find them.

It looks like I'll need an angle drill to get some of the holes too as the roof/metal panel is in the way.

I've packed in now as it's stupidly hot and the sweat keeps running in my eyes and affecting my vision/making me very angry.

20200807_150907.jpg

20200807_150913.jpg

On 8/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, New POD said:

My Wife's Monza was originally supplied with a hardtop, and the wiring plug sits in the passenger side of the parcel shelf.  We replaced the knackered roof, with one with a glass heated screen, and It was a case of plug and play.  The switch was already on the dash.  The guy that sold it, had a guide for those without switch.  The wiring is all there waiting to be used. 

My hard top has heated glass and there's also a switch on the dash. It's not connected as I bought the hard top separately. Does this mean I should have the connection somewhere under the carpet?

3 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

My hard top has heated glass and there's also a switch on the dash. It's not connected as I bought the hard top separately. Does this mean I should have the connection somewhere under the carpet?

I'm guessing:

yes.