Mx-5 gone, pug 107 and 300C now here.

paulplom

I know, I'll hang them on the washing line to paint them. Where my daughter definitely won't kick a football and knock one of them into the grass 30 fucking seconds after painting it.

Just go in the house now please.

You just couldn't write a book on my life. No one would believe you.

I've just dropped it at a local garsge. It's creaking and groaning from the front end when low speed manouvering.

It's a garage I've never used before and only 2 minutes walk away.  They do mot as well. They can't be any worse than the one I used previously where they were calling me a liar and refusing to believe they'd made a cock up.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's just a dry bush or something needing a nip up. Fingers crossed.

They didn't find anything. Up on the ramps, on the rollers, pit etc. He reckons it's coming from the offside front.

No charge but I gave them £20 for their tea and biccy fund.

Is there a specific lubricant spray I can buy for the poly bushes. I'll just have to do them all.

Sundries have been purchased. I'll get the wheels off and lube the bushes today if the rain holds off. While I'm under there, I thought I'd top up the underseal while I'm on.

I've been buyiny my car stuff from Andrew James in Walker 8 miles away.

Yesterday while bombing about I discovered a CTS. Top result.

20200801_095535.jpg

Double bollox.

After double spraying all the bushes I could see, the noise is still there. Although it all looks good and nothing's going to fall off.

The other grump is, I've wasted £15 on underseal. It's fully covered under the arches and everythings immaculate ☹

It must be one of the most rust free examples out there now. 

I wonder if it could be the strut top mounts. Can you buy replacements or would I need new coil overs?

20200801_132806.jpg

20200801_133130.jpg

20200801_134225.jpg

20200801_134231.jpg

If you undo the springs you will get less ground clearance, and it won't make them softer, so no improvement in comfort.

Ideally with adjustable spring seats, they should be at around mid position with stock ground clearance, so you can tweak it either way..  That would require longer springs than you have,.  I would guess that you have shortened/stiffened  "competition" springs, wound up to give clearance for road use. 

Height adjustment will affect the geometry, how much is a good question, but an inch or so either way will  not usually make it dangerous.

BTW I am a Lotus restorer - no idea how MX5 experts think! 

I'm sure if you wind the locks down you'll be lowering the height of the spring on the shock and the height of the car? 

38 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I've noticed the springs are fully wound up. If I undid them an inch for a bit more ground clearance and comfort, would it fuck the geometry up?

I was told that the bushes needed lubricating but never bothered. They cost a bomb, as I remember. I think they’re from SuperPro. The suspension was 2nd hand but “nearly new” when it went on. I asked for standard factory height but they dropped it 10mm, as I recall and, again, I never bothered adjusting it.

looking forward to pics of the cage going in!

Cheers. It doesn't look like there's any adjustment left on the springs. The lube must have soaked in overnight as it's silent as a fish now. I've had loads of running about to do today so haven't had the chance to start. Mad busy at work the next few weeks as well. We'll see what happens.

Not sure how that would happen.  It's behind the seat, and the seats have head rests.

In a roll over, I'd rather have the fucker than nothing. Upside down your head and windscreen will be supporting the weight of the car as it skids down the road.

That looks like it bolts to the boot floor. I’d strongly recommend putting a spreader plate at each boot/bolting to spread the load. It’s thin old metal and the weight of an upside down car on it will cause the cage to burst through the floor. Some beermat sized plates of maybe 5mm+ thick would do it. Costs nothing and will save your life. 

/sensible head.