Mx-5 gone, pug 107 and 300C now here.

paulplom

I've never priced up a paint job but that doesn't sound bad for the whole car, you could pay a good few hundred just to get the wheel arches done. Are the sills needing done / included in that price ?

It’s had the front resprayed, as you know. I reckon £800 to properly weld the arches, paint those new doors and see to any other bits is pretty good. The paint is weirdly thin above the windscreen, for example. You’ve taken a different approach to ownership than me and I’m honestly loving the results. Please can I have first dibs when you come to sell? 

Slightly different subject - are you going to garage this over winter? It was always garaged when I owned it as I was convinced it would dissolve quicker than a sugar cube in hot tea if it was left outside in shite weather.

Yes, I'll be garaging it. If the council ever get round to fitting a new door.  It was burgled in March where they pulled the up and over garage door off it's hinges and knicked all my stuff.

I had to board it all up with cls and security screws and I haven't been able to get back in since. They pinched around 5k of tools and plumbing gear in broad daylight and nobody saw a thing.

It’s had the front resprayed, as you know. I reckon £800 to properly weld the arches, paint those new doors and see to any other bits is pretty good. The paint is weirdly thin above the windscreen, for example. You’ve taken a different approach to ownership than me and I’m honestly loving the results. Please can I have first dibs when you come to sell? 

Slightly different subject - are you going to garage this over winter? It was always garaged when I owned it as I was convinced it would dissolve quicker than a sugar cube in hot tea if it was left outside in shite weather.
As the manic street preachers said, 'everything's for sale'.
I'll give you 1st dibs, but I'd need at least my money back.

I messaged him on Saturday asking for pics and progress. He said it was almost ready for primer. I don't want to push him.

I was working for a mutual friend on Sunday and he mentioned he'd split with his wife and is getting divorced. I imagine he's got a lot on his mind.

He's worked for me before and his work has always been faultless. He did the arches on a metro gti about 10 years ago and in the 5 years before I sold it, They were as good as new. He'd packed them with grease.

The majority of what he does are insurance jobs, so his work has to be A1 on a day to day basis.

34 minutes ago, paulplom said:

The majority of what he does are insurance jobs, so his work has to last at least until he's been paid.

Edited for my experience of approved body shop work. 

That is: you have found one that actually gives a toss. Lucky Bastard. 

19 minutes ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

Wow, didn't realise it was getting a full blow job. It'll look fantastic! One thing though, why's he not removed the numberplate and rear lights? Unusual. 

That’s how you turn an £800 paint job into a £2000 paint job! And not before all the brittle plastics crack and fall apart and you start buying new bits of trim etc because none of them will go back on properly! And the the rear light wiring cracks and the rubber seals deform and... you get the picture.

4 minutes ago, dc2100k said:

That’s how you turn an £800 paint job into a £2000 paint job! And not before all the brittle plastics crack and fall apart and you start buying new bits of trim etc because none of them will go back on properly! And the the rear light wiring cracks and the rubber seals deform and... you get the picture.

True. I'd not really taken in the fact that he's sorting the arches and painting the whole lot for 800 notes. Proper barg!

The big risk you run not taking trims etc off (beside overspray) Is that you can get cracking/flaking where the lacquer stops behind the trim. If you have a bare shell you can paint and clear coat up to and over the panel edge; obviously this can’t happen with the trim on. If you do see this in time you might have to take the bits of trim off where it happens and sand the flaking clear coat back and make some local repairs. Not a huge issue unless it’s widespread. Your car will look smart enough unless you’re hoping for concours (I hope not for £800).

Sometimes it’s better to pick your battles and remove major bits of trim yourself before you deliver the car, eg. Remove the roof water channel, front and rear lights, badges, door and roof seals. You’d get these off carefully in an hour and back on again in a couple of hours. Door handles, glass, etc is a lot more time consuming. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:09 AM, paulplom said:

Paul, I wrote quite a big feature for MotorPunk magazine on the car, but I can’t remember which issue and don’t have any spare copies or I’d send you one. I’ll see the publisher sometime in the next few months and will try and pick up and post you a copy of the right issue mate. Keep up the good work!