Mx-5 gone, pug 107 and 300C now here.

paulplom

2 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Four screws and you take the black plastic surround off. The top metal part stays on.

That seemed like a really easy way to mess up the alignment every time :S

I noticed a canny bit of rust on the drivers door and although I haven't poked it, it looks pretty terminal to me. The hinges are worn and the door has dropped slightly. Strangely the passenger door is perfect.
Luckily@gm has a pair of black ones for sale so I'm picking them up tomorrow.
d4ec2509ccd3379bac0163d3106c5c6c.jpge5b7ac6ece02776cb192ae57aec6caa2.jpg3c8f71f8bc536a2a34dd5de1000e11a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

all 1.6 (115bhp) up to 1993 then 1.8 (138bhp) came out, in 1996? mazda detuned the 1.6 to 96bhp to make the 1.8 seem more impressive ! Imported 1.6s were always 115bhp. 

don’t know about mk2s, I think they dropped the lower power 1.6 and concentrated on special editions to sell the different models 

7 minutes ago, gm said:

all 1.6 (115bhp) up to 1993 then 1.8 (138bhp) came out, in 1996? mazda detuned the 1.6 to 96bhp to make the 1.8 seem more impressive ! Imported 1.6s were always 115bhp. 

don’t know about mk2s, I think they dropped the lower power 1.6 and concentrated on special editions to sell the different models 

This seems just as quick as my 1.8 NB. Maybe it weighs less. My NB seemed to be quite a bit more refined though.

49 minutes ago, paulplom said:

This seems just as quick as my 1.8 NB. Maybe it weighs less. My NB seemed to be quite a bit more refined though.

1.8 gained extra chassis bracing and door bars that the 1.6 didn't have, mk2 had airbags, abs etc which made it a more comfortable car but did add a few extra kgs.

4 hours ago, gm said:

I thought the later 1.6s were even less powerful than that - I’ve heard the number 89hp thrown about I think. 

mk2s did keep the 1.6, but bumped the power back up to 110hp. To make up for that, that, they also gave the 1.8 a little more power too, and again by adding VVT when they facelifted it. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

I thought the later 1.6s were even less powerful than that - I’ve heard the number 89hp thrown about I think. 

mk2s did keep the 1.6, but bumped the power back up to 110hp. To make up for that, that, they also gave the 1.8 a little more power too, and again by adding VVT when they facelifted it. 

it quite possibly is 89, those numbers were just off the top of my head, the auto is somewhere in the middle with a lower compression engine. I've never driven an auto, it would be interesting to compare.

I’m not sure about the power but my ex had an entry level MK 2 and a half and that was a 1.8.

It must of been one of the very last built as it was on an 05 plate but what surprised me was I thought it would get some toys being a runout model but the only feature it had was a factory fitted cassette deck which wasn’t really much good by then as everyone had gone to CDs 

Lovely car to drive though but it was jinxed as it just kept getting hit when parked up and by the time it was sold a few years later every panel had been repaired and painted.

She traded it in for an R56 mini which was a mistake.

1 hour ago, Sir Snipes said:

I think the low powered 1.6 were all around p-reg, late for a mk1 I 'spose, and had manual windows?

Monza. 1.6 92 bhp. 

Keep fit Windows, no pas, no aircon, no central.locking, no cruise, no airbags, no ABS, no remote boot release, 

Ours is R reg.  And has retro fitted PAS and heated glass rear window. 

If they hadn't fitted the lower output engine, it would be ideal for a track car. Reduced weight and a purer driving experience, makes sense to me.

I do wonder who Mazda had in mind as a target customer ? Someone looking for the driving experience would surely want the more powerful engine, someone looking for a pretty convertible would want comfort and gadgets, there were so many different models and special editions, who would choose this one and why ? 

I'm sure it's still a fun little car to hoon round the back roads, the reason I've never done power upgrades on any of mine is that I enjoy squeezing every last drop out of what is there. I've owned several 1.6 and 1.8 mx5s over the years and there isn't that much between them, maybe it's the same between the two types of 1.6 ? I haven't driven one so can't say either way.

By the way, if you do long for a remote boot opener, I'm sure there's one in my box of stuff that I could send you 

IMG_1987.thumb.PNG.1e22993d872ee8fc52a6769888bb08ab.PNG

this is how many special editions were released in the Japanese market over the 8 years that the mk1 was in production, the uk market was not quite as varied but there was still a good number of special editions available. I reckon this might be where Bini got their marketing ideas from :)