Mr and Mrs Brownnova's new arrival! The human arrival arrives!

brownnova

1 hour ago, TheIsleofShite said:

So I posted earlier saying I think 2cv ownership has sailed past me. 

This has just come up for sale locally to me, it needs to be seen in person but how much of a money pit do you 2cv connoisseurs think this could be? I do love a bamboo!

https://www.wightbay.com/yarmouth/cars/citroen-2-cv-1987-5840370/

A2A0F8EC-BC23-469F-A1F0-93BB0D101D72.jpeg

Wow! Are rolling projects really this much now? I have truly missed the boat.

1 hour ago, TheIsleofShite said:

This has just come up for sale locally to me, it needs to be seen in person but how much of a money pit do you 2cv connoisseurs think this could be? I do love a bamboo!

Worth a look.  The seller seems genuine and it has a good history.  You need to check the floors, sills, lower bulkhead, and as far as possible the chassis for rot, but if it is reasonably sound in those areas IMO the price is OK.  It should not be a money pit unless you are aiming for a concours restoration.   Parts are mostly reasonably priced, and they are easy cars to work on, once you get your head around the design.  You will have fun..

5 hours ago, TheIsleofShite said:

Mr Pastry has summarised the main bits to check. Chassis is all important. I wouldn’t buy one that hasn’t had a galvanised chassis on for that price unless the chassis was perfect.

Wings are easy to source, and not too expensive second hand, and who wants cosmetically perfect anyway!?! 

I’d say its a fair price, but how good a price depends on how it views in real life, and how solid the key bits are. 

Definitely worth a look. 

Just now, Stinkwheel said:

Mr and Mrs Brownnova, let me just say, you are winning at life. That is all.

Why Thankyou... ?

I feel a Dyane and an Acadianne need to join the fleet too... indeed someone has indicated they’d be happy to sell me their Dyane, but I’m trying to get him not to sell.... yet.... 

7 hours ago, TheIsleofShite said:

No mention of the rust situation- bendy A panel could mean the chassis is on its way out.  Bamboo is quite rare now.

My kid brother has owned a green/white dolly on a G from new. I've not seen it for a couple of years & I know that it spent about ten years just garaged. The chassis was replaced under warranty and it was recomissioned a couple of years ago. He used to drive it to the end of the world.

They are not really my cup of tea.

Today is the due date for our other new arrival... as yet no sign of that...

So I’ll update you on the progress so far... 

We left it be for a few days as it rained (turns out this one leaks even worse than our other one!) On the dry day I needed to go food shopping and used this as the opportunity to give it a more thorough run, and see how well it goes. The answer is very very well. In fact I’d go as far as to say that it drives slightly better than our yellow one! Brakes are a little spongy, maybe need bleeding, but the engine and gearbox are lovely (I’m not too concerned by the noise in neutral, will monitor), the suspension glides beautifully over the bumps (with none of the rattling and speaking of the yellow one) and when you’re inside you forget that you’re driving something quite so tatty on the outside! Even looks nice from a distance... 

D80F013A-0C90-4C45-B71D-E3FA1B47B925.jpeg

Also hot started perfectly, so I think this is a really good base to work from.

From close up the rust is more evident. 

C48E180A-B029-443D-A5B0-130CA0C83D6D.jpeg

I used Kurust on the key areas of rust to slow the spread. The front two wings may* be saveable with a bit of work but the back two are “utterly fucking fucked mate” I think if we may well just replace all four, and repair the front two as “just in case” spare wings. The drivers door is a bit rusted, but again I rust treated it, and will try a repair first as it looks like with some sanding back, treatment and a bit of filler it may be ok. Good doors do exist, but most 2nd hand ones do need a bit of work. And as this is never going to be a concourse car but a useable regular car repairing the existing one should be ok. The rear light panel does really need replacing, as do the rear bumper brackets. So they’re on the shopping list. 

Once Wales is a bit more free to move I’ll head down to pick up some parts and get fitting! 

56 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Once Wales is a bit more free to move I’ll head down to pick up some parts and get fitting! 

Good luck on the new arrival.

Are there any rumours regarding Wales opening up? We’re wanting to view a property and obviously can’t right now.

1 minute ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Good luck on the new arrival.

Are there any rumours regarding Wales opening up? We’re wanting to view a property and obviously can’t right now.

Review is next Thursday but Mr Drakeford (First minister) said that he won’t be influenced into opening up too quickly however loud the clamour.   I’m keen for it to open, I don’t want my parents to miss out on meeting their first grandchild in the first few days... As far as I’m concerned I can’t see them leaving it locked down and open schools. That makes no sense. 

Whereabouts in Wales?  

Thus far the opening in england doesn’t seem to have created a spike but i’m no scientist.

The house is on the Llyn Peninsula, near Aberdaron. To be honest we’re really keen to view but we’ve been super careful during all this so not wanting to do anything silly.

20 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yup, very much locked down and housing market entirely on hold.

Softer brake pedal could just be because the rear brakes are working properly. They can get sticky over time and still pass an MOT even below par. Once freed off, the pedal feels very different.

Thanks, that’s a good area to investigate, I’ll take a look at the back brakes too. First press of the pedal seems soft, but quickly releasing and reapplying the brakes seems to improve things... 

I’m sure no ones noticed I’ve been quiet here lately, but there is a reason. 

Some 20 days after the 2cv arrived... 

The baby arrived!! It’s a girl!! Thankfully not delivered by WorldofCeri (no offence I’m not sure of his midwifery skillz) but @Mrsbrownnova did an amazing job of expelling the womb raider. Mother and baby doing well. 

Sadly she was not transported from home in the 2CV, indeed She’s yet to have her first ride in either 2CV, but it’ll only be a matter of days. 

Best Father’s Day present ever!