Cort1977's Fleet - Saab MOT, results are in

cort1977

The ford 302 weighs approximately 210 kg the pinto 135kg . You might just get away with V6 4x4 springs ( don't get the legs as there different dia & aren't interchangeable with 2wd ones).

You probably be better getting coilovers as springs are cheaper & avl in infinite rates MK1  focus fit but drop the car at least 60 mm from STD .

The XR8 used a Granada diff the whole axle is a straight swap just needs the hubs swapping for 4 stud Sierra ones ( cossy ones have lsd as STD) most people only want the V6 eng/box & don't realise the back axles origins.

Get a V6 rad ,pas would be a good idea too. You'll probably need bonnet vents to help cooling in traffic (under bonnet temps can get high).

You can't hold your hand on bonnet of my 302 powered MK3 Cortina when stood.

Run out Sierras could have either CVH or Pinto in 1.6 flavour. They’re totally different to look at - the Pinto’s look as old as Father Time himself whereas the CVH has a giveaway silver top. 

23E38FE4-40C9-4CF2-B245-E1CDBCD9B186.jpeg.4f33ed7431a158f740332d40646d77f1.jpeg

That’s a CVH. Pinto is also distinctive

8F5A4977-0F19-428C-BA1B-9CBC93C8A915.jpeg.3cdbe25be1b3e951b0eb108cb62b21d1.jpeg

I’m really keen to see how this turns out - mainly because the obsession with Cosworth replicas has been done to death and I’d love to see one done well with a V8. 

21 hours ago, andy18s said:

I have no idea,according to wiki there were so many engine options over the years it gets a bit hazy

I'm betting that Ford just threw in whatever parts they had lying around in the final years of production 

The very last Sierra Azuras has the left over 1.6 Pinto in them. Presumably they had stocks of them left over.

3 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Yep my crayford has the 1.6 pinto (unleaded ) from a k reg azura & remember a colleague having a 4 year old one in 96 they all seemed to be dark metallic blue too lol.

Weren’t the Azuras only available in blue or white.

Started stripping down the donor engine last night.  Nothing stuck and it went quickly but I'm fully aware this is the easy part.  Judging by the smell and pecan nut shells something had been making a home under the intake at some point.  Went as far as i could without taking the inlet manifold off as going to do a compression test tonight.

20200602_184355.jpg

20200602_191528.jpg

Genuine Texan pecan shell.

20200602_212242.jpg

Got this running today, think timing was 180 degrees out, I just started again, cable tie in no. 1 cylinder to find tdc and then followed the haynes BOL and set the belt tension.

Fired up with a bit of fiddling with the distributor position but sounded even more rattly than I remembered them sounding. Got the cam cover off and all was revealed. Managed to find the broken off piece.

Good practice would probably be to replace cam, followers and spray bar but think the way forward is a new follower, cam cover gasket and cam belt and see how it goes.

Great to hear it going, major mojo boost.

20200604_203500.jpg

2 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

What sort of output would this engine have when it was new? About 150bhp on a good day? I think the later Chevy 5.0s with TPI made something like that? 

Its a HO (hign output) engine so i think it was around 220hp. By the 90s they werent quite as strangled as the real smog era. 

I think im going to get aluminium heads which will reduce weit and raise the output by 60hp.  Thats probably enough for an old sierra...

Did they sell the Sierra  to you as a runner? Do you recon that snapped then the fucked around with it trying to get it running right without knowing what they're doing?

Hopefully no sparkly bits have made it down into he engine.

2.8i xr4i's with 150bhp are still pretty quick  so this will be a total tyre shredder.

Not sold as a runner but close, 'think the timings slipped a bit m8'. 

I found the sparkly bits so think it's OK.  The pinto is coming out soon, just wanted to get it running to see if it smokes etc and give a better description when selling it.  Not that there's much market for a 1.6 boat anchor I suspect.

8 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Its a HO (hign output) engine so i think it was around 220hp. By the 90s they werent quite as strangled as the real smog era. 

I think im going to get aluminium heads which will reduce weit and raise the output by 60hp.  Thats probably enough for an old sierra...

Those engines were tuned for low end running, that's where they spend most of their life and the emissions report is helped by the fact. Two foot long intake runners help with getting it torque in the 1000-1500 RPM range. It'll be a nice cruiser and B-road machine in stock form.

It's not all about the power... 200hp sounds good until you find the engine has 85lb/ft max at 6500 rpm and the peak power band is 200RPM wide. These engines, even all smogged up give the wheels a hefty twist across the bottom half of the rev range, even if they are pretty gutless nearing the redline compared to expectations.

Phil

Didn't do that much on this at the weekend, working up the energy to take the engine off the stand, take the flywheel off and put it back. I did unpack the gearbox and put it on a dolly, pinching a good idea from @gm

Mustang gearbox mount is quite complex and includes exhaust hangers so will likely replace with something more simple.

Wasn't planning on doing much to this beyond cleaning and wire brushing it a little, any real benefit to painting or laquering? I am going to paint the block as it's pretty rusty.

20200607_205707.jpg

20200607_205347.jpg

On 5/31/2020 at 11:20 PM, cort1977 said:

Not sure yet  there are a few options for brakes but mostly cosworth based so not cheap.  Its struts up front so shouldn't be too difficult to make some bigger brakes fit. Rear brakes I will go with sierra discs in place if the drums it has now.

Not sure how much heavier the v8 will be than the pinto, will need to look in to that and try to work out the spring rate required. 

Cosworth used Mk3 Granada brake calipers.  I fitted Scorpio  Ultima rear discs to my Cosworth as they're vented, Std Cosworth ones aren't. 

With a V8 I'd recommend fitting a Cosworth LSD but with the crown wheel and pinion from a 2.3 diesel. Nice long gearing. I did that to my Cosworth, it did 155 in 4th, but with 528 bhp the standard gearing was too short to be usable.

8 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

If you remove all the gubbins the v mount from an mt75 box bolts on then it will fit the normal ford rubber mount.

So I need a v mount and a new rubber mount and then I can use the existing type 9 gearbox cross member? 

1 hour ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

How many minutes are you wanting the Type 9 to last? Surely better off getting an RX8 gearbox?

I think he is using a T5, a medium duty Borgwarner (tremec) gearbox ,,unlike the comparitively weak ford produced type 9/mt75 

2 hours ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

How many minutes are you wanting the Type 9 to last? Surely better off getting an RX8 gearbox?

I didn’t know that use of RX8 gearboxes elsewhere was a thing.

Its a genius idea I though, there must be plenty about, all low mileage and good for 260bhp at very high revs.

Yep, got a T5 with the engine. 

RX8 would be good gearbox although maybe not matched to the characteristics of the engine?  Low speed high torque from the V8 vs the Mazda rotary which is the opposite.

Just had a parcel arrive with some Pinto bits so hoping to get it moving later on.