Cort1977's Fleet - Saab MOT, results are in

cort1977

17 hours ago, Pete-M said:

Cosworth used Mk3 Granada brake calipers.  I fitted Scorpio  Ultima rear discs to my Cosworth as they're vented, Std Cosworth ones aren't. 

With a V8 I'd recommend fitting a Cosworth LSD but with the crown wheel and pinion from a 2.3 diesel. Nice long gearing. I did that to my Cosworth, it did 155 in 4th, but with 528 bhp the standard gearing was too short to be usable.

Noted on the brakes.  Weren't they five stud though?  Did you change to five stud hubs?

A bit of research shows the Mustang had a 8.8 inch live axle with a 3.08 ratio so a Sierra diesel diff 3.18 is close enough I'd think.  Currently 300-350 on ebay.  Given the price of Cosworth parts I looked at the Quaife ATB - over 1000 pounds!  

At this rate the back axle will cost more than the car...

I think you have to add a spacer for the rear ARB mounts - I was looking at fitting all of the oily bits of my Scorpio Cosworth into my Sierra, with an XR4I 5 speed box. I had everything to do it but ended up selling it all in the end.

Have continued to fiddle about in the evenings this week.  All cam followers changed, unexpectedly Burtons sent me a pack of eight but only charged for one.  I wonder if the packer realised what they were or just didn't expect someone to be so mingebag as to order just one.

Finished fitting them today, set the clearances and she started first turn and idled away nicely with none of the usual clatter.  Happy with that I went for a very careful drive 20m down the cul de sac.  The brakes are a little spongy but work, the clutch works, the gear lever is laughably vague but you can find the gears and the steering wheel rake adjustment isn't locking. 

More seriously there is comedy amounts of blue smoke and the plugs are black.  First thought was the valve stem seals but before I do that I did a compression test.  Results were:

No. 1 - 162

No. 2 - 167

No. 3 - 170 

No. 4 - 180

20200611_202049.jpg

The first stroke got up to 90 and then another 3 or 4 got them up to full pressure.  I think that's not too bad?  Would prefer if they were consistent but even 160 is all right for a pinto from what I can gather.  I think this points to the piston rings being OK and the valve stem seals leaking being the cause of the blue smoke?  

So while I don't want to throw much more time and effort at this engine I'm considering doing the valve stem seals.  On the other hand is that worth it for an engine that's going on ebay shortly and would most likely be refreshed at the least before going in a kit car or whatever?

I'm also in two minds about whether to get it through an MOT before starting the engine swap so it is mobile during the process.  Would be easier to get it to a rolling road if drivable instead of trailering it for example.  

Any advice welcome...

20200611_202127.jpg

That's way too rich. If it's got a 32/36 DGAV fitted they wear over time and throw fuel in at idle, if they get really bad they only really seem to like to run properly when going at full chat. A rebuild kit from Aldon's about 25 quid iirc? I'd try and get a few more miles on it and see if things clear up a bit before condemning it.

28 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

I was thinking the same because I started it again last night and gave it some gentle revs and it already sounded better and had less smoke.

It'd have to be pretty fucked to be smoking blue constantly. Even when pintos get well worn they only really used to give a puff of smoke on re-applying the throttle after coasting for a bit. Maybe the bores are just contaminated with oil that's drained down from the head over time while it's been sat if you're lucky? Worth cleaning all the plugs, getting it to operating temp, making sure the choke is off and an Italian tune up?

• 1 month later...

So progress has been slow on this, had a rash of mots on the rest if the fleet but all that unpleasantness is out of the way now.

Got some new wheels, 17" tsw alloys of some description, on the basis that all the tyres were lethal, I will need to fit bigger brakes eventually and they were cheap. 

20200806_211019.jpg

Amazingly, a kit car type off gumtree gave me 40 quid for the old ones.

20200712_172617.jpg

Rides surprisingly well with the big wheels and the steering is not at all heavy which surprised me as a run out special Azura doesn't stretch to power steering.

Also fitted a stereo because priorities, complete with full ipod integration, a bold leap in to 2003.

20200806_211053.jpg

Found a couple of minutes here and there to do some cosmetics, paint wiper arms and refit the rear view mirror.

20200806_211035.jpg

Plan is to change the cam belt, cam cover gasket and oil this week and then bite the bullet by removing the seats and carpets and hope the small hole in the floor pan is just that...

• 1 month later...

Quick progress report on this.

Brakes were binding and not likely to pass the test so I decided to replace them sooner rather than later.  After some good advice on here I have sourced some Focus ST discs, Mondeo calipers and the appropriate bolts and spacers.  Calipers cleaned and painted and ready to go.

On dismantling the front suspension one of the TCA bushes had failed so I thought I might as well fit some polyurethane replacements.  Then I thought I might as well take the ARB off and clean that up.  Went at the clamp bolts gently, penetrating oil, worked it back and forward etc. Etc. Still managed to break the weld on the captive nut inside a box section.  Brilliant.  Leaving aside that disaster for later I cracked on with the TCAs, got them off and cleaned up but on inspection one is aftermarket I think.

Quick question for the Ford gurus on here if i may?

In the picture below there is a lip in the centre of the hole for the ARB bush.  One of my TCAs has that, one (the aftermarket one) does not.  Does that matter too much?  The replacement bush will be less supported internally but is it worth finding a factory TCA for the amount of difference it will make?  The Burton website sells replacement TCAs but also states they are not suitable for poly bushes and I'm wondering if this is the issue.  Or am I just overthinking it?

Name:  PijlDraagarmmetPUbus.jpg Views: 840 Size:  141.8 KB

• cort1977 changed the title to Sierra V8 - TCA question
  • 2 months later...

So Sierra progress has slowed, mainly due to a lack of enthusiasm for upside down welding.  Still going to get it done but have been distracted by the arrival of a new fleet member.

@Tayne sent me a message "I know you like Fords, V8s and cars not originally sold in the UK so how does a 2007 Mustang sound?"

Interesting, Mr. Tayne, tell me more...

"Its languishing on a driveway in Aberdeen as the owner is rather busy with a house move, new baby and sometimes works away.  The mot ran out in Oct 19 but apparently it hasn’t suffered any major failures.  It’s metallic grey with a slightly peeling Shelby stripe and a red leather interior. I believe the same chap may have owned it since 2008."

Oh FFS.  Well, the wife was asking what I want for Christmas. 

After a bit of discussion with @Supernaut Tayne and I went and had a look at it at the weekend, Tayne did the sensible checks with the code reader, fluids and pointed out the rust and dents in the side while i just made 'brum, brum' noises and pretended to know something while struggling not to say 'just shut up and take my money' to the seller.  The sellers son had spent some time in the US and on his return had imported the car new.  The family were clearly quite attached to it and wanted it to go to a good home.  So despite having loads of shite to be getting on with I found myself agreeing to take the beast on.

IMG_20201221_131923056_HDR.thumb.jpg.1ebf877a9cf081916833c4248f58e27c.jpg.0782510965063ac3cce14cdacf5169e0.jpg

So what shite have i bought this time?  It's a 2007 Ford Mustang with the modular 4.6 litre V8 putting out around 300 bhp in this application.  It's only done 61000 miles, the interior is good, tyres are good, only two advisories for the last MOT and generally seems mechanically sound. 

IMG_20201221_133721026.thumb.jpg.c61846cb3d866e67e0a1b85b9fe6dec2.jpg

Unfortunately, the body is definitely not sound, in fact it appears to have been valet parked by Stevie Wonder.  But for the asking price I can live with that.

IMG_20201221_133633282.thumb.jpg.1565d08ac91e7e18640745e84379e9b8.jpg

IMG_20201221_133623720.thumb.jpg.7b5745c7d8e60597fb1db807c66629c8.jpg

Plan was to take it for an MOT but I noticed the passenger mirror was cracked so didn't take it for the test in the end because I thought the 10 day retest period might expire before I could get one.  Collected it with Supernaut for moral support and went straight to the nearest Asda petrol station.  Some issues were immediately apparent.  it suffers from the infamous 'slow filling' issue where the pump keeps cutting off - TADTS apparently.  Then the downside of having the steering on the wrong side made itself felt as it was one of those poxy drive through pay windows so i had to get out.  Then i put my foot down leaving as I usually do in the diesel passat and nearly launched it in to orbit - there is 'sufficient' power.

Supernaut and I had a bit of a poke around, the body didn't get any better but we didn't spot anything too bad.  Then it wouldn't restart.  The seller had advised the battery wasn't amazing and he wasn't lying.  My jump pack came to the rescue once we had worked out how the immobiliser worked. 

IMG_20201221_133441494.thumb.jpg.bfa51680514da84f26259f16e191e187.jpg

First impressions, it doesn't feel that fast and then you realise it's doing 70 in second.  Everything seems to work bar the compass in the rear view mirror.  The engine makes a lovely noise and I can confirm that by pushing the TSC button smoky burnouts are easily available.  

IMG_20201221_135245542.thumb.jpg.44c40e2395b89108f170e13c6511e88e.jpg

Best thing is domestic management clearly quite likes it and genuinely seems happy about this potentially ruinous purchase.  Happy days.

Plan is to MOT it, refurb the wheels, attack it with aqua steel and get some quotes to rectify the worst of the bodywork issues.  Is DIY respraying of lacquer feasible or is it likely to look gash?

IMG_20201221_133611500.thumb.jpg.1820960f4704517e8ed1bdebf90120d7.jpg

• cort1977 changed the title to Cort1977's Fleet - now with hot import action
42 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Plan was to take it for an MOT but I noticed the passenger mirror was cracked so didn't take it for the test in the end because I thought the 10 day retest period might expire before I could get one.

Passenger mirror is non-obligatory. Or at least it is in an older rhd car provided you have a driver’s side mirror and an internal rear view mirror.

However many mirrors it has, it's brilliant. It makes a lovely noise and is definitely faster than a 25 year old BMW 316i. The plan was originally for me to follow him across Aberdeen for moral support. Instead he just vanished. I didn't see him stopped at the side of the road anywhere so just assumed he got home alright. :D

I don’t have a huge amount to add to this.

I have a similar driveway photo to the others, and can confirm it sounds glorious. Perhaps a video is in order?

I’ve never seen it move and am quite glad it did as I was apparently captain sensible on this one

• 2 weeks later...

Sierra track control arms have threaded joints, M12 thread.  That arm you've shown in the picture doesn't.  That reminds me of many years ago, I bought a pair of arms off a motor factor and found them like that and took them back - I remember the man being annoyed (not with me) as they were off something else though I can't remember what.

They're a bit of a pain to fit.  I used to park the car next to a wall and scissor jack the bottom of the tyre in so that the bolt on the inner arm lined up.  Worked a treat, just gotta be a bit careful that it doesn't fall off the jack :) ..... maybe you know all this and have fitted hundreds of arms..... just sharing experience

Made some minor progress with this, new mirror from ebay, not too ruinous.

20210102_140322.jpg

Found some suitable oil in the shed, and a filter from a ford falcon. Like a lot of 'enthusiast' cars there is a load of tosh out there about oil for these. My feeling is that the same engine is used in millions of trucks and police cars, it's not a Ferrari, so Tesco's 5w/30 will be fine. My cheap skate glow of satisfaction wore off however because although the filter is the correct thread and would attach it's too long and wont fit on. So currently waiting on an oil filter after my local factor just sucked his teeth.

Did change the air filter, gen you wine motorcraft no less.20210107_155018.jpg

Also got the wheels off to be refurbished. Not very autoshite but they looked terrible. Makes my yard look more American though, all the best houses have a dented mustang on blocks.

20210107_154959.jpg

Edit - forgot to say - a new battery cured almost all electrical maladies.  69 quid from Tayna for a type 075 that fitted perfectly wasn't bad I thought.  A new button battery also restored the central locking so gradually fixing issues from the car being laid up.

6 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Sierra track control arms have threaded joints, M12 thread.  That arm you've shown in the picture doesn't.  That reminds me of many years ago, I bought a pair of arms off a motor factor and found them like that and took them back - I remember the man being annoyed (not with me) as they were off something else though I can't remember what.

They're a bit of a pain to fit.  I used to park the car next to a wall and scissor jack the bottom of the tyre in so that the bolt on the inner arm lined up.  Worked a treat, just gotta be a bit careful that it doesn't fall off the jack :) ..... maybe you know all this and have fitted hundreds of arms..... just sharing experience

I have done it in the past but it was in the 90s and I seem to recall a ratchet strap was involved.  So cheers for the advice.

Not sure on the arms, the ones that came off looked like the one in the picture.  Do you mean a threaded joint so they can be adjusted to change the camber?  That's not standard is it?