Cort1977's Fleet - Saab MOT, results are in

cort1977

Well, it's back and looking good. A massive thank you to @GingerNuttzfor all the blood (literally) sweat and tears he has put in to this car.  Had my boys with me who didn't help the handover process but great to finally meet in person.

Journey back was a little traumatic, the driver's side brake was sticking on so progress was steady with plenty of stops to cool down. Got back all right in the end.

Still got plenty of little jobs to do but at least we're working on a sound base now. 

20220709_093847.jpg

On 7/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, Schaefft said:

Looks like it turned out great, I guess that's what Scotland does to cars. Everything I brought back from there was a rust bucket...

Yep, it's bad for that up here. Ford build quality and no factory rust treatment did the rest.

• cort1977 changed the title to Cort1977's Fleet - Luxury EXport to USa

Been fairly quiet with cars lately, most of them hiding from the salt and any time available seems to be either washing salt off of fixing things on dailies.  

I was working away last month and couldn't resist @davehedgehog31's cheeky offering of a fantastic barge.  He very understandingly kept it for me for a couple of weeks.  Collection was detailed on here but I will update this thread instead going forwards.

Unfortunately, my plan to MOT and then drive it to Orkney was thwarted by a couple of minor things on the MOT.  One was the level sensor for the headlights was broken.  This works on the drivers side rear suspension arm and had failed due to rust.  Some quite bad welding restored the mount, it's been looked at in the past, the  linkage is a bit heath robinson but hopefully I have bodged it enough to work again, the headlights seem to be reasonably adjusted and no  dashboard lights showing so hopefully a fix.

Other thing was a high lambda reading, linked to the blow at the passenger side catalyst, should be an easy one but will let tame garage address it.

With half term holidays and work I haven't been able to get it back in for a retest yet but did find some time to do some two-bucket wrong 'un stuff yesterday.  Polished headlights, cleaned wheels and bodged up tiny holes at the leading edge of the roof.  I love the colour of this thing and the interior is mint.  

476660807_Lexussmall.jpg.64486a05d4326b762cf326d703c51fea.jpg

1868568831_Lexus2small.jpg.87ed5f085735ac2267ec8efef91883e4.jpg

• 3 months later...

Not much been happening with the fleet lately, a cold spring, work and general lack of motivation has meant a lot of things have stagnated.

The Lexus has continued to provide sterling service, did 1300 miles to the Retro Rides show last month and didn't miss a beat.  Must be the most comfortable car I have ever had and was achieving 29mpg on the run down south.  Also dropped in the the FoD on the way home.

The Saab has been laid up for ages with a gear change problem, it lost fifth and then gradually all gears.  @Saabnut told me ages ago it was probably just the rubber linkage in the gear rods and last night I finally got underneath to find he was right, the linkage was wobbling about all over the place.  A couple of cable ties bodged things together again and a quick trip around the private road test track showed the gears were all there.  Felt stupid I hadn't done it months ago. 

Mojo somewhat restored I ordered a new rubber part and will try to get an MOT next week, just in time for it to start raining again probably... 

20230612_212104.thumb.jpg.ef6e28d880cc19bd2880a409b6e47e24.jpg

• cort1977 changed the title to Cort1977's Fleet - Saab MOT, results are in

Saab in for MOT yesterday.  Bit worse than I thought and a couple of annoying things.  Failed on:

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Rear Stop lamp(s) all not working All Rear (4.3.1 (a) (iii))

Repair immediately (major defects):
Headlamp levelling device inoperative (4.1.5 (a))
Front Oil leaking excessively from engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Fuel system component leaking @ filter (6.1.3 (b) (i))
Offside Front Body component corroded and likely to cause injury Bonnet (6.2.1 (a) (i))

Brake lights is the switch I think, noticed the brake pedal felt a bit strange at the top of travel but the brakes seemed to work OK.  Turns out my assistant (11) doesn't know the difference between tail and brake lights.  Filter leak is OK I think, just needs to be nipped up as I probably went a bit gently with the connections when changing the filter.  Got a spare headlight so that's OK and the bonnet has a strange rust patch I've been meaning to fix so that moves up the priority list.  

The thing I'm really worried about is the oil leak, if it's the rear main seal it's likely an engine out job and that's probably more effort than I can muster.  I will wipe it all down and see if I can see what's going on.  On the plus side it rust proofs the underside nicely.