avensis

theshadow

bought from excellent shiter bramz7,alternator light just came on as he delivered it,price agreed,so not a worry,ive removed the alternator,taken to jeff auto electrics,faulty regulator.£45.00supplied and fitted in the hour,as he said about the brakes,fitted new pads at front,£8.00 from amazon,had a quick look at rear pads,caught them just in time.no discs needed,fitted them this morning,nice and easy on avensis,remove road wheel,undo 13mm nut,swing up caliper,push piston in,no windback tool needed here,aircon works great,just need new pollen filter ,coming from autodoc next week,drives great,have removed the wheeltrims, it looks better,stickers to go on tomorrow..

aven2.jpg

aven4.jpg

I like the one I've just bought from DavidB on here. 

Runs great, drives nice. But bland.

I spoke to a former colleague on Tuesday about buying it, and he said we had one at work as a pool car and said I drove it a few times. I cant remember it at all.

12 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I like the one I've just bought from DavidB on here. 

Runs great, drives nice. But bland.

I spoke to a former colleague on Tuesday about buying it, and he said we had one at work as a pool car and said I drove it a few times. I cant remember it at all.

Even a vectra c is more inspiring. But has more fail to proceeds.

42 minutes ago, Bren said:

Even a vectra c is more inspiring. But has more fail to proceeds.

Interestingly I had, on lease from my company, one of the first Vectras, chosen because I had two Cavalier Mk2's that were brilliant cars. Both covered over 100,000 miles in the 30 months I had them both, and I cannot remember a single breakdown in either.

What a disappointment. Picked it up from our fleet office in Newcastle at 10 am. Within 20 miles it broke down, will all lights coming on on the dash. That was the start of its issues. Had various oil leaks, the worst when it sprayed gearbox over the nearside front brake assembly. Had two replacement gearboxes, half a dozen or so wheel bearings, head gasket failure, complete electrical failure on several occasions and exhausts fracturing.

Then when I was washing it, I noticed the paint was blooming. The paint was coming off and the primer was what I could see. Needed a complete respray. I think the warranty repairs came in at around £16,000 before it was taken off of me by our fleet team.

Before it went back I put little notes in the fuse box, in the spare wheel well, in any place I could find, to let the new owner know what a shit heap they were buying.

This is the only photo I have of it. Probably as it was about to go onto a low loader after another breakdown.

20190709_160810.thumb.png.84f768fee768d27bef27994c8afe2f6c.png

Surprisingly the DVLA database shows it was MOT'd up to 2008. Would never have another.

it serves it purpose,you forgot to tell me it had an alarm on,neigbours know about it,at 4 am this morning??,cheap sunblinds fitted from aldi,46p for 2 ,pollen i got this morning,,yet to fit,have to fit tom jerry front sunblind yet,..cost only 10p...

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

The recall notice is very vague, but seems my one wasnt affected by the airbag. I'd not heard of the fault until I saw Hubnuts video on the Corolla in Australia.

539885786_Screenshot_20200606-233736_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e6dd455baa751696a25b8fee92e8e6e4.jpg

You can go on the Toyota website and put your vin in. This may tell you more info.

It could be that thing where the throttle jams open and loads of Americans were being killed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-unintended-acceleration-has-killed-89/#:~:text=Unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles,recalls%2C the government said Tuesday.

I wouldn't take it to get it sorted, I'd leave it. It would certainly make your commute much less mundane.

Only done a cursory check on my car when I picked it up from @DavidB. Coolant and oil all the right colour, plenty of bright blue screenwash, tyres all good and at the right pressures. 

Decided to check the air filter and cabin pollen filter. God only knows when the either were last changed!

Air filter must have been almost blocked

20200616_102219.thumb.jpg.b1b8c414bb56dc0ad83fe325712e43db.jpg

20200616_102133.thumb.jpg.8a1c90c3003de931f2c10c85f968ef2c.jpg

Pollen filter  was a bit better but past it's best

20200616_102444.thumb.jpg.1510a5dbc5b791f251c243c418298b96.jpg

New Bosche filters were £20, ordered yesterday from Carparts4less, delivered this morning. Never used them before, but will do again.

On 5/30/2020 at 8:36 PM, theshadow said:

now defrocked,looks more shiteness..

IMAG0015.JPG

IMAG0013.JPG

IMAG0014.JPG

Growing up watching the Bill, all of their Astra's never had wheel caps. It was always bare steel wheels like this.

Even now, when I see a car like that, I immediately think it's the Police.

43 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I'm actually thinking that one of these might be a good idea as a boring main car. 

What's the seating position like? 

Drivers seat is fine, plenty of adjustment for and aft and up and down. The padding on the drivers seat in mine is a little compressed, but in its defence it has done 175,000 miles. If I could find a replacement cheaply, I'd swap.it out.

• 1 month later...

Tried to retrofit cruise control on mine today, but my car does not have the fittings on the steering wheel to take the Toyota stalk, despite what the internet says. Completely different to the other Anvensii shown on various YouTube videos. Oh well, worth a try.

Also the VCS and TRC lights are on. Tried everything the internet says to clear them, but none of them work.Both stay lit up on the dash (but the EML goes out when car is started). Scanner shows no codes.  

fuck me, i used to pdi these as a yoof. hated the cloth trim but they were a world better than the prev model that was just a  facelifted carinaE. always wanted a t180 wagon. 

we used to do a lot of 1zz-fe engines as they burnt oil like fuckkery. the last few i did toyota sent us 3zz-fe bottom ends, due to the different bore x stroke meanign less oil useage. so theres some 1.6  engined ones blezzing about.....