Scottish private track day - thoughts?

Cheezey

3 hours ago, garbaldy said:

Is crail not the cheaper option?   I'm sure it was around 30 quid from 10 till 3 on the track attack days.

crail is an even bigger safety hazard, been looking at driftland, it isnt a msuk approved facility so no gravel traps or tyre walls just earth banking, unsure about marshalling and medical cover, from the videos i have seen i am not impressed... i might be a relative newbie to trackdays having only driven knockie in their own cars (bend it then ach well there is plenty more), i am a msauk licensed official of over 10 years so i know my stuff

I'm assuming it'd be on the 'drift' track and not the oval? And would it be run it as a track day with a few cars on track, or a sprint session of a few laps each a time? (Its a small track)  Also do Driftland allow you to rent it for use as a track day for non drift use? I know they did supercar drives there for a while, which was literally just nursing the car for a few laps...very little scope to get above 40! 

Would be great to finally throw the Abarth about on a small track, s put me down as a 'maybe' as would be job pending (Still unemployed).Even if I don't come for track action, I'd be up for attending just as a meet up! 

9 hours ago, Tayne said:

Aren’t they all broken at the moment?

source.gif.44f895c6e2d60e632b1663ac794e74d1.gif

Current status :

S4: back together, not the ideal choice for here though.

Kangoo: good to go, due a timing belt though

MR2: ready for action.

Locost: should be MOT'd in a week or so.

I know, I surprise myself sometimes...

59 minutes ago, dome said:

source.gif.44f895c6e2d60e632b1663ac794e74d1.gif

Current status :

S4: back together, not the ideal choice for here though.

Kangoo: good to go, due a timing belt though

MR2: ready for action.

Locost: should be MOT'd in a week or so.

I know, I surprise myself sometimes...

Time for something new and broken then...

It would be the Drift track not the oval. 

The track is bigger than that aerial photograph suggests. I think it would be big enough for a bit of fun. That’s the key thing with this. It’s a bit of fun with a small group of trustworthy people not going mad. We can lay the track out as we please in whatever direction. 

I’m still enquiring with Driftland on the viability of it all but I’ve heard of groups hiring the track before. 

I’ve fancied one of Crail’s track days for a while but never got round to it. 

48 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Somehow missed this.  I would be up for this in the MX5 assuming i can get it through an MOT which is eluding me right now.

I’ll need to check with Driftland but I think open top cars need a roll bar/cage of some description. That’s what scuppered me doing this before with either of my MX5s. Not sure if it just applies for drift events though. 

As a BMW owner I dutifully read the safety stuff.

Whilst I agree with requirement for recovery points, i think their exclusion of screw in hooks (because they don't like being recovered at angle - most recovery pints are designed for a straightish pull) would apply to almost all modern cars. Slightly curious as to why they've pulled so many at angles... 

I'd also question that if must have recovery hooks, why do they have T&Cs relating to recovering cars without hooks?

1. @Cheezey

2. Cheezey‘s pal

3. @Tayne

4. @Supernaut

5.  @dc2100k

6.  @320touring

7. @bigmancaff

8. @Flat4

9. @snagglepuss

10. @dome

11. @cort1977

12. @gm

13. @17-Coffees

14. @captain_70s

15. @paulplom

Hopefully I’ve got the rough list of those that have registered interest correct. Is everyone ok with me following up my enquiry regarding a booking around late July or August? I assume a weekend would be best for everyone. 

5 hours ago, Tayne said:

As a BMW owner I dutifully read the safety stuff.

Whilst I agree with requirement for recovery points, i think their exclusion of screw in hooks (because they don't like being recovered at angle - most recovery pints are designed for a straightish pull) would apply to almost all modern cars. Slightly curious as to why they've pulled so many at angles... 

I'd also question that if must have recovery hooks, why do they have T&Cs relating to recovering cars without hooks?

I'm thinking the idea with the tow eyes/straps, etc is more of an issue for wannabe drifters, who can end up at all sorts of funny angles. I can't see it being a problem for any of us as don't think anyone is feeling they are the next Chris Harris. 

@Cheezey I'd say I'm more an maybe for the actually taking part in track action, depends on if employed and such by then. if not, I'll gladly be a visitor (if any of us Aberdeen lot would be kind enough for a lift, if allowed with new lockdown rules, etc)   

18 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

I'm thinking the idea with the tow eyes/straps, etc is more of an issue for wannabe drifters, who can end up at all sorts of funny angles.

I suspect its more their shonky recovery operation, after all if the drifter hits the wall forward you pull him out backwards and vice versa. I can't see some wee lad from Fife doing the full Russ Swift and parallel parking his badly painted e36 between a Sierra 1.6L and a Cavalier 1.6L.

And yes, assuming this happens, and assuming you're allowed to get in the car I'll give you a run down the road.

the msa outlawed the fabric straps a couple of years ago due to most being utter shite and causing more bother than they were worth, a strap snapping under load is not good. you ed 4 of these now fixed to a solid chassis member https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/pitking-products-wire-towing-eye-1070258/

means you are spreading the load more evenly

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

I don't suppose you have a spare roll bar for a mk1?

You bought a mk1 ? Nice one, more info please :)

no spare roll bar, I’m afraid, but plenty of other bits if you need anything ? 

(edit) found it, looks like a good ‘un 

I saw that, seems a bit extreme. I’ve not heard of any other circuit requiring such scrutiny. Maybe for competition use but a trackday is taking the piss I think.