The Low Cost Low Liability Thread

320touring

11 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Sub £1k for a car with full MOT in reasonable order seems ok to me:)

It doesn't matter the make or model - it's about (relatively) sensible buys.

I wouldn't WANT a vectra, but I'd buy one if I needed something to "Car" for a while with minimal effort.

I'd also know @Split_Pin would take it off my hands when done:)

I doubt it would go down in value providing you kept it in good condition ?

In 1996 I bought F456PLA a 1300 "Merit*" Astra estate from Basildon auctions for £not much. About a 800 IIRC. it would have been around 7or8 years old at the time, and my MK1 Astra had failed it's MoT earlier in the day in a fairly spectacular fashion.

The Merit had around 60k on it, big wodge of history, IIRC Lex Leasing was the first owner, I was 3rd.

The minute I drove off the compound I hated it. 

BUT

In the 4 years I had it - before someone stole it - I did nigh on 100,000 miles in it, and the only expenditure barring topping up the oil (leakage) was tyres and a couple of light bulbs. It didn't get serviced - I figured that as I was constantly topping up the oil, it would be renewed as I went along, i think it got washed about 3 times - the paint pogged after about 3 months, and I couldn't be arsed. 

After it got nicked the insurance paid me out £500, by my maths it's £300 depreciation, circa £200 on sundry bits, so 100k for £500. 

I don't know, to this day, how I put up with the thing for that long, but I suppose it earned a bit of respect by refusing to die. 

(I MAY* have towed a Dodge Ram with a trailer with Sapphire Stockcar on the back for 15 miles, I MAY* have driven to MIldenhall 4-up with a generator, a Cologne V6 in the boot, 3 tool boxes and 4 spare Granada wheels on the roof....)

On 5/31/2020 at 10:34 AM, Supernaut said:

This thread is dangerous. In the process of being interested in that Rav 4 yesterday I realised my finances at the moment allow me to comfortably buy some cheap chod and insure it etc.

Find some more vaguely interesting vehicles in the NE of Scotland, please. :D

This isn't even remotely interesting, but it's cheap, and those VW TDIs are fairly robust aren't they? 217k miles and 11 months MOT for £400.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/vw-golf-mk4-11-moths-mot-diesel-/1374136635

$_86.JPG

Oh look! The Yaris from the first post (which had sold) is now for sale again by a flipper trying to make a £100 profit! It moved from Westhill to Bucksburn and in 24 hours has somehow gained £100 in 'value'.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-yaris-1.0-vvt-i-colour-collection-3-door/1374129087

$_86.JPG

This is proper misery spec. Hyundai Getz 1.4 with an MOT until May 2021, £750.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hyundai/2006-hyundai-getz-1.4-cheap-mot-till-may-2021-cheap-road-tax-and-i/1374045556

$_86.PNG

Check out the interior!

$_86.PNG

There are few cars as robust as the Hyundai Getz in my experience. Truly horrible to drive, but after the nuclear apocalypse they‘ll still be there, along with the cockroaches.

On 6/2/2020 at 12:02 AM, AnthonyG said:

BUT LOOK AT THE COLOUR!

Brown, adds at least £400 to its value....at least on here anyway!

but if you wanted to spend that kinda money would you not pick something worth it (to you not money)

23 minutes ago, hairnet said:

but if you wanted to spend that kinda money would you not pick something worth it (to you not money)

But what can you get that is interesting for £950

I am asking this hoping somebody will show me something I want

2 hours ago, 320touring said:

The RAV4 was vaguely interesting because it was a beige 4x4. That's just plain dull. No thx.

Find me an IS200 plz.

Or this one is £860 so far, seller says it's had new lights, so possibly a CAT D or whatever they call it nowadays, but he's not specifically said it. Looks OK to me though. (Edit in that Wales)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS200-2005-Low-mileage/293596628540?hash=item445bb9063c:g:ymEAAOSwajFe0Xou

s-l1600.jpg

Also remember that the X Type is mechanically based on the Mondeo. So Ford engine, gearbox, brakes ect. Makes for lower running costs but Jag style. As for corrosion, well that's no  different to many other older cars. As with all these things, you pays your money and to makes your choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...