Kade's Volvo 940

Kade

On Wednesday I drove over 200 miles North to view this Volvo 940 SE LPT (2.3 Litre Turbo). I've been driving my Mk7 Civic (my first and only car) for 2 years and desperately needed a change (specifically an older boxier car). I fell in love with the 90s interior and shape of the Volvo when I saw it in person. It was really clean all around too, no rust and only one advisory on the MOT. Ended up buying it of course - I'm picking it up on Wednesday.

ve.thumb.jpg.52ca1d235c6b91150b1e1254799672f2.jpgvi.thumb.jpg.1840b945a56fa8e5afcb79e16e664bf5.jpg

I'll start off by servicing it then I'll look into maybe getting alloys or cleaning up the steelies, and there are a few other simple cosmetic and performance modifications I have in mind. I'll post about stuff here as it's done. Ideally I can travel in it in the future too.

Lovely, looks really good in red with the black trim too.

Welcome to old Volvo’s! They’re great cars! I’ll be really interested to see what you do with this, I’ve been gradually sorting my own 80’s 740 estate over the last few years including adding North American market front lights. They’re addictive cars, and make great modern classics.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:07 PM, danthecapriman said:

Lovely, looks really good in red with the black trim too.

Welcome to old Volvo’s! They’re great cars! I’ll be really interested to see what you do with this, I’ve been gradually sorting my own 80’s 740 estate over the last few years including adding North American market front lights. They’re addictive cars, and make great modern classics.

Thanks, I've seen a few different things online I like that I might do. Things like black vinyl on the sides below the bump guards to make it match the bumpers and make the car sort of two-tone.

Love the 740 American headlights. Don't think they had similar ones for the 940(?) My goal for now is just to get it home and just enjoy driving it for a while.

Looks great, I think the US head lights for the 940 were these crappy plastic things that look similar to the European items anyway.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to do anything with my 940 so should probably sell it. 1997 turbo auto anyone? 

That's really low spec for a late 940 (and a 7/900 in general), usually R platers are well specced as they were the very last of the RWD Volvos, and the runout of the 7/940 that'd been in production since about 1983- usually they have some combination of alloys, metallic paint, wood trim, electric windows, aircon, half leather, automatic, leather steering wheel, eggcrate grille, etc etc. I've never seen one like that - that's a real curiosity. Someone was clearly hellbent on a RWD Volvo but as cheap as possible. 

Well bought, looks well kept. 

Loving the low level spec - my kind of car! Back in the 90s my dad had a 940 Wentworth estate. He kept it for about five years, driving it long and hard. It never let him down and was p/xd for a full fat 960 estate.

I’m looking forward to the kolllekshion fred and further updates.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, Lankytim said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to do anything with my 940 so should probably sell it. 1997 turbo auto anyone? 

That's interesting............ ;)

@Kade nice choice on the red!  I do like this shape, but have only had blue or white (so far).  As Dan says above, Volvos are truly addictive.  Since my first in 1996 (1978 244 GL auto) I've had a few, and have come to the conclusion that between them and Cadillac (now on my third) I've spoiled myself for anything "less" which almost everything else is!

8 hours ago, Ghosty said:

That's really low spec for a late 940 (and a 7/900 in general), usually R platers are well specced as they were the very last of the RWD Volvos, and the runout of the 7/940 that'd been in production since about 1983- usually they have some combination of alloys, metallic paint, wood trim, electric windows, aircon, half leather, automatic, leather steering wheel, eggcrate grille, etc etc. I've never seen one like that - that's a real curiosity. Someone was clearly hellbent on a RWD Volvo but as cheap as possible. 

Well bought, looks well kept. 

I'm a simple man with simple needs, less electronics also means less to go wrong which I like. I actually didn't use AC for the entire drive up to make sure I could be comfortable in a car without it lol.

3 hours ago, Broadsword said:

That looks really nice. Many years ago we had a 940 SE 2.3 full pressure turbo with a manual box. Dark green with ally wheels, it was a spectacularly good car. I rather miss it. It was very quick for what it was too, but spectacularly thirsty. Enjoy yours!

Thanks. I will say I prefer these in darker colours but hopefully I can get the red to stand out in a good way. Expect a 'for sale' thread when I spend all my savings on fuel driving to Aldi and back three times.

4 minutes ago, BeEP said:

@Kade  If you'd rather have Volvo wheeltrims (at least until you get some alloys) you'd be welcome to these from a 1993 940 for the cost of postage.  They are a bit scuffed around the edges but not too bad.  Let me know if interested.

2112254518_Volvowheeltrims.thumb.JPG.cdef97b699d586f3241f43cc74950fa1.JPG

I'd love that, thanks. That's very generous of you. Sent you a message

Picked up the Volvo yesterday. Ran some errands for friends immediately after picking it up so in total I drove it about 200 miles yesterday and it never missed a beat. I got about 34MPG for the whole trip.

It's about 5 metres long with the tow bar (noticeably overhangs parking spaces), and incredibly comfortable. Despite this it steers like a car half its size. The interior is very similar to the original Volvo 700-series interior from the early 80s and you can tell. I love the feel and sound of the engine and interior, and the way it looks inside and out.

Photos below. I'll be putting on the wheel trims @BeEP kindly gave me as soon as the car and trims are in the same place, and be looking out for alloys. Servicing it ASAP too.

V2.thumb.jpg.72a39f23624194fe35762d560fa726ad.jpgV1.thumb.jpg.880aa363e579bade13299474fcc5560c.jpg