North West Frontiering

Jerzy Woking

In a more essential trip than Mr Cummings, I am off to collect a car. Been in isolation for about  8 weeks now, so flame me if you must. Masks, gloves and sanatiser packed as my journey essentials

Taxi to the station (no buses).

Now on the train to London, on which I have a carriage all to mysellf20200526_121822.thumb.jpg.96dcd3aa2850273fe8c9e882d879e223.jpg

20200526_122435.thumb.jpg.61477f561b7b99252422ff005ddeedfb.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Train stopping here now

Still  a bit further to go....

20200526_154259.thumb.jpg.d1e72dccd0e14ac8c9cd6e02792797b8.jpg

I'll tell my Crewe story again to pass the time while we wait

I came back home to Warrington on the train, got as far as Crewe and then rail replacement bus , no trains running past Crewe

There's loads of buses all heading off in different directions with a guy directing passengers to the correct buses, I was just about to ask him which bus I wanted when this old woman full of he own self importance got there first with a not happy face on

I've paid for a first class service , having to get on a bus is a second class service , it's a disgrace, you should be getting me a taxi blah blah blah

The guy was nothing but polite and professional, I do apologise madam, track maintenance , advertised on the website for weeks , sorry for the inconvenience etc

She reluctantly accepts railtrack aren't springing for a taxi so bluntly says which bus for Runcorn, no please or thank you

He says this bus madam and helps her on with her bag

As it leaves I notice the display scrolling through the 8 or so stops dotted all over the north west with Runcorn being the final stop

Next bus pulls into the now vacant slot and the guy shouts

Runcorn , this bus for Runcorn, Runcorn only on this bus

I looked at him and started laughing , he gave me the , don't piss off the bloke with the clipbaord look and smiled

It is indeed DavidB's Avensis. Quick swap over at Social Distancing and I was off.

Quick stop at Sandbach services, and it's a nice drive. No chunks or rattles, and cruises at 70 mph fine.

Few little jobs to keep me busy for a couple of days, but nothing that a bit of Kurust, filler and a few cable ties wont fix.

20200526_181542.thumb.jpg.11d495a02abcfa6bcbf6baa2252946b2.jpg

Ok, it's not the fun car my 300bhp Saab was.

I was reminded that we had one at work I had completely forgotten about. So must be really bland and forgettable....

However, it was bought for a reason, and covered the 240 miles back home (how very Cummings!) adequately. And then I looked at the fuel computer to see the mpg for the trip. Will check it first thing when I refuel it before parking it up for a few weeks, but for a 1.8 petrol it's not bad.

20200526_215309.thumb.jpg.e5f20bb154c4a83032dbc4468f76ead7.jpg

Had many a ride home in unlicensed Minicab Avensis’s (Avensii?).  Several thousand east Londoners who have no idea where Essex is can’t be wrong.  I always found them perfectly acceptable and always liked their dashboard displays at night.  Funny what you remember

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

55mpg from a 1.8 petrol in a car that size?!

Dafuq?! I know of superminis that can't even manage that! Witchcraft I tell thee.

It was! Just rebrimmed the tank, and my calculation is 43.96 mpg. Which is still bloody good for a 1.8 petrol.

Shame the onboard computer is as accurate as the one in my Saab was. In that the average mpg was never more than 1 or 2 mpg out.

And agree with Parky, the dash is well lit up and  I like it. 

5 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

I see your trip through London was as eerily quiet as mine was. :D

It was. I saw your post and thought that my route would be busier.

Evidently it was very similar. First time I have enjoyed a train journey. All other times I avoid trains and the tube like the plague.

Surprised how busy the roads were.