You can polish a turd.

Bradders59

Production finished in 2003.  Adding up all the costs, apart from purchase price (which wasn't a lot) , fuel, VED and insurance,  Ive spent around £12 a week on it.

This will decrease greatly from here on in as there isn't much left to do to it. Cambelt kit will probably cost just over £100, but other than that its just general servicing and tyres , hopefully.

Cheap motoring by any standard I think. Fuel consumption isn't great at around 24mpg, but it doesn't get much motorway use.  I have the 1.5 dci Clio for commuting and general running around and that does over 60mpg. 

When you think that even a basic Fiesta cost over £300 pcm on a PFC then the cost of this car is minimal. We all run cheap cars, some cheaper and more shite worthy than others. If we all had a new driveway ornament, for lets face it, that is what most cars are, the world would be a much poorer place.

I was outside checking it was locked early this evening when a dog walker stopped to tell me he often admires it as he walks past my house. It turned out he was retired flying squad and said he used to drive them in the job. He said how nice it was to still see one around in such nice condition. Little things like that make the effort of looking after it more worthwhile to me.

I don't often drive any distance these days, but I drove it to Norfolk and back on Sunday. A round trip of just under 120 miles. It reminded me of what a nice old thing it is to drive. It was a real pleasure to spend a couple of hours behind the wheel.

Im considering buying something else soonish,  but I might just keep this as well and use it even less than I do now. One of the few things Im still sentimental about is cars, and I don't like the thought of parting with this one.

Some cars get under your skin for whatever reason, and this one has got under mine. 

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

Will do Jon. If my memory serves the climate panel came from you via OOF. I used to break them for parts myself, but too old and knackered now.

I did actually think that climate panel is bloody mint ?  I only tend to break the odd manual one these days but have a decent stash of bits