You can polish a turd.

Bradders59

It was a bit tongue in cheek. I love the old thing. Its a lovely thing to drive. Ive fitted ex police car springs & dampers on the front. Polybushed the wishbones. Fitted slightly stiffer shocks and springs on the rear and had four wheel alignment done to wheels in motion spec, rather than the standard figures.

Replaced all sorts of other bits and pieces to the tune of well over two grand, in the four years Ive owned it and changed the oil and filters every four thousand miles. Its not worth a lot, but I cant bring myself to get rid of it at the moment, so it doesn't matter to me.

Ive had quite a few of them, and this is the best one by far despite the age and mileage.

5 hours ago, New POD said:

Very very very nice.  Lovely colour.  Are you on OOF ? Is it a 3.2 or 2.6 ? 

Here's mine hidden by bushes.

20200331_170734.jpg

I am indeed on OOF. If you look in the gallery section, I posted the same pics on there a couple of days ago. And yes it is a 3.2

4 hours ago, Tim_E said:

I'd joyride one of these. For the more discerning joyrider!

It looks tasty, I think you've made a compact Holden Commodore there, you've got the V engine and it sounds like you've tightened it up somewhat.

The Elite is very soft and a bit wallowy in standard form. The common mod used to be to swap to MV6 suspension but that's rarer than rocking horse shit now. I was lucky enough to see an ad for ex police front struts just after I got the car so thought I would give them a try. I then realised that someone had fitted estate rear springs which made the rear sit too high. I knew from experience that elite rear springs are very soft indeed, so fitted a new set of standard spec springs. Then refurbed the wishbones with new rear bushes, balljoints and polybushed front bushes.

Then had the four wheel alignment done and was very pleased to find that I had ended up with an example that felt nice and tight, and handles superbly for a big barge yet had lost little of the ride comfort in the process.

Recently the self levelling rear dampers finally gave up. Only available from Germany at £500 a pair ! Fitted a new pair of Sachs rear dampers which has made the rear a bit tighter than it was, so still happy enough, although ideally I would have liked to have kept the self levelling.

Anyway, thanks all for the kind comments about the old girl.

16 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

The Elite is very soft and a bit wallowy in standard form. The common mod used to be to swap to MV6 suspension but that's rarer than rocking horse shit now. I was lucky enough to see an ad for ex police front struts just after I got the car so thought I would give them a try. I then realised that someone had fitted estate rear springs which made the rear sit too high. I knew from experience that elite rear springs are very soft indeed, so fitted a new set of standard spec springs. Then refurbed the wishbones with new rear bushes, balljoints and polybushed front bushes.

Then had the four wheel alignment done and was very pleased to find that I had ended up with an example that felt nice and tight, and handles superbly for a big barge yet had lost little of the ride comfort in the process.

Recently the self levelling rear dampers finally gave up. Only available from Germany at £500 a pair ! Fitted a new pair of Sachs rear dampers which has made the rear a bit tighter than it was, so still happy enough, although ideally I would have liked to have kept the self levelling.

Anyway, thanks all for the kind comments about the old girl.

Sometimes it's worth spending a bit on a keeper ?

That was exactly my attitude to it from the start. I knew it was money I would never get back, but that wasn't the point. I had several Omegas before and always had ideas about what I would like to do to make one ideal for me. Funds were too tight at the time, so when I got this one I decided to do it, just for my own satisfaction and, up to a point, sod the expense.

I even considered converting it to manual transmission, but decided against in the end.

I still have a list of minor jobs to do to it but nothing major, other than the cambelt is a fortnight overdue, although nowhere near halfway on mileage.

The only Omega I’ve ever driven was a 2.0i 16v manual , which I bought when it was 3 years old. Unfortunately at the same time one of my brothers had an ex Police 24v Senator manual with a decat exhaust running on 17”Aztev As.   By comparison it was a blancmange , great cruiser and perfect for my work But soft and wallowy,  Interestingly they were both M reg and the interior of the Omega was light years ahead of the Senator even with cloth compared to the Senator leather.  I always wanted to try an Omega that went and handled- sounds like this one does.

I drove a couple of Monaros when doing recovery contract work for Monkfish and they did feel very much like Omega coupes, just with poorer quality plastic.
I suppose the ultimate would have been the LS1 engined Omega that almost happened, like a Commodore but with Opel build quality and nice trim.

There are one or two  LS1 engined Omegas floating around which have been built by enthusiasts in this country, Anyway, I had a 24v Senator( which I loved)  for several years before moving on to Omegas. My first couple of Omegas were 2.5 V6,s and I found them pretty disappointing after the Senator.

This one however is definitely a suitable replacement for the beloved Senator. Straight line performance feels very similar, although hard to be precise without back to back comparison. It handles a hell of a lot better than the Senator did though. I do still miss the digital dash of the Senator. Cant forgive Vauxhall for not putting it in the Omega.

The interior of the early (prefacelift) Omegas was in some respects better quality than the later ones. Facelift models have a more modern less cluttered design, but switches and some other areas are coated in soft touch rubber, which wears easily and ends up with a permanent sticky residue if you try to clean it.

For its time it had plenty of toys. Memory drivers seat and mirrors, Bose sound system, rear sunblind, auto dimming rear view mirror,infotainment system with decent fuel / trip computer and built in satnav. Satnav was a bit basic with a mono screen and arrows for direction but a colour version with maps etc. could be had as a £1000 upgrade.

This one had the mono screen version, but I hunted down a colour one, which has to stay with the headunit because they are paired, and retrofitted it.

Will post up some interior pics next week.

Im pleasantly surprised at the amount of positive interest shown about it on here to be honest. I imagined I might just get piss taking for driving a Vauxhall.

That's the problem with brands.  You compare a Tesco value pack of frozen sausages with a Tesco finest range of sausages, and the difference is in the taste.

If you compare the Suzuki waganR with a Vauxhall badge with a Cadillac Catera with a vauxhall badge, the difference is poles apart. The general public however, perceives all Vauxhalls to be shite, because some have been. 

Here's some more pictures of a 3.2 

20190212_150957.jpg

20190823_173143.jpg

18 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

That was exactly my attitude to it from the start. I knew it was money I would never get back, but that wasn't the point. I had several Omegas before and always had ideas about what I would like to do to make one ideal for me. Funds were too tight at the time, so when I got this one I decided to do it, just for my own satisfaction and, up to a point, sod the expense.

I even considered converting it to manual transmission, but decided against in the end.

I still have a list of minor jobs to do to it but nothing major, other than the cambelt is a fortnight overdue, although nowhere near halfway on mileage.

I'm definitely Omega curious!

Abs definitely definitely Commodore curious, and definitely definitely your Omega curious!

I'm my reckoning, and no doubt people will have differing views, if you take the unique owner costs, so purchase less resale, mods, non-servicing repairs etc and if it averages at £1000 per year you are doing well.