On a Mission - Hilux Surf - Oh no, someones stolen all the electricity!

808 Estate

Well got home safely after a relativerly uneventful day. Last time I was in London, it was for a club event, so On a Mission seemed appropriate. :)

A couple of quick snaps of the beast. She's a Mk3 SSRG KZN185, 3L intercooled with centre diff, overdrive and winter pack. One owner since import in 2004 and 16 years worth of history and receipts. It was undersealed on import and remarkably rust free. There are a number of minor battle scars, or "patination" to use the current popular euphemism. It has been used offroad and as a shooting wagon and offroad camper, so its to be expected, but theres nothing major. 149K on the clock, so just about run in. Drives remarkably well. Surprisingly comfortable and quiet sitting at 75 on the motorway.

She pulls very slightly to the left, but only really noticable on long straight roads. Apart from that, needs a bloody good clean and the aircon compressor is toast.

I will see if I can find a jetwash tomorrow. ?

20200524_183047.jpg

20200524_183058.jpg

20200524_183104.jpg

20200524_183113.jpg

My mate had one, a 2.4 litre I think. Only things I remember are twin batteries (he reckoned it had a 24V starter?), an electric window in the tailgate, and him flooring it to enable more noise, but very little extra forward motion.

23 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

My mate had one, a 2.4 litre I think. Only things I remember are twin batteries (he reckoned it had a 24V starter?), an electric window in the tailgate, and him flooring it to enable more noise, but very little extra forward motion.

That sounds like a mark 2 (one before this), mine's a 2.4 with twin batteries.... they are 12v though, they just start, ALWAYS!  They have a 'Power' setting, a button you press by the gear selector that holds the gears lower for longer, making as you say, more noise if not more acceleration! 

Great fun, well bought 808.

1 hour ago, 808 Estate said:

Apparently the "power" button is useful for towing heavy trailers uphill.

Also has a "high idle" switch. Keeps the revs high enough to make the alternator work properly. Usefull when winching. Or brewing coffee from the fag lighter socket.

I want one!

Have had these on my "rainy day" list for a while now, mainly because 80-Series LCs are reaching silly price thresholds and these seem to have all the same capability for 1/3 of the price and 1/4 of the size. This looks like a good 'un, hope that proves to be the case!

On 5/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, 808 Estate said:

Also has a "high idle" switch. Keeps the revs high enough to make the alternator work properly. Usefull when winching. Or brewing coffee from the fag lighter socket.

Our Granvia has that as well. Great idea!

3 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

The mud on the inside door trim was almost 1cm thick.

It's been used as intended then? ;)

Well bought. I will have a Hilux one day.

Well a quick visit to Half Frauds where I was liberated of 50 quid, but I left will armfulls of cleaning products.

Spent the day scrubbing the interior with foaming upholstery cleaner and attacked the outside window rubbers and plastic moulding edges and door jambs with a toothbrush in a brave attempt to divest the vehicle of its acquired moss.  Then another as the first one broke. Then another as the second one ran out of bristles. By now the outside looked worse than yesterday before I jetwashed it, so had to wash the  outside again. Cleaning duties ceased at about 4 as I had used my entire new pack of cleaning cloths as well as all my bike cleaning cloths and had to chuck everything in the washing machine.

There are a couple of big squares of dried dhesive on the roof that appear to have evolved enough to support a vegetative habitat.

20200526_135037[1].jpg

After using almost a whole can of label remover and a hand full of coffee stirers, theres still a load of hardened glue left. If anyone has any ideas for shifting it, please let me know. :D