Bought in 94. Thing I've owned the longest how sad is that

They ask daft money for them tho

Also have the xj220 issue also

Concorde never got on it - used to always buy the Xmas issue of autocar

Used to buy autocar every week when was at skool

IMG_20200523_135841.jpg

IMG_20200523_135844.jpg

IMG_20200523_135816.jpg

I had a Daily Express world cars 1992, bought back then at the newsagent where I delivered papers which I think I still have. Well thumbed and pre internet the only source of obscure information to me such as there existed a Daewoo Le Mans that looked like an old Astra Belmont (which had whitewalls IIRC) and there was a Brazilian ford that looked just like a Cortina (del ray something?) I was really blown away by that revelation!

I remember there was an ad for the classic Saab 900 advertising the “xs “ edition (in its last throes of production) I remember ringing the “brochure hotline” and having one sent to my house. What a waste of a stamp for Saab UK.

This is from 1990

They took a k series metro round the 12 euro capitals

If they've done it since for the 27 since ( has to be massive nerd here that might know)

even then it was bought only for that article (always interested in geography (look at me now ?‍♂️) been to 14 must do the others *FULL ON NERD

IMG_20200523_135806.jpg

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

is this the photo where they did the riddle of the sands poster (yeah nerd again i remember that far back :D )

@eddyramrod look a good one :P

@Conan - id still mazda although tego runs it close :D

IMG_20200523_141849.jpg

IMG_20200523_142036.jpg

IMG_20200523_142112.jpg

Oh gee thanks m8 for reminding me.

I've been reading car mags since I was 11 or so, starting with Hot Car.  I sought out old copies of Small Car from the 60s, the mag that grew into the much-revered Car which I also devoured.  Along with Custom Car, Street Machine and various others.

I used to keep the Autocar and Motor magazines I occasionally bought as a schoolboy. Over the years these have been progressively chucked, sometimes after first removing favourite articles and road tests. About 15 years ago even the pile of saved pages got the chop.  Currently, I buy Practical Classics most months and have a Classic Cars mag on subscription because I can't be bothered to cancel it.  These modern magazines go for recycling not long after I've read them.  I blame the internet. I can access almost any car subject from my armchair.  The same information is probably available in my bookcases upstairs or in storage boxes in the loft.... but the effort, dust and cobwebs means the internet always wins.

I do however still  have quite a few Motor Show editions of Autocar and Motor plus special colour supplement show editions from the Mail and Express or whoever did them in the 1970s/80s. In the 1960s and early 70s I had the Meccano Magazine. All of those are in a box in my bedroom somewhere.  

I think the earliest magazines I've had in my own possession/bought by me date back to around 1982. Auto Performance, Custom Car, Street Machine and Classic & Sportscar. The latter was the first issue, I got given it when I had chicken pox around the time of my 12th birthday.

8584503468_9628c7a147_c.jpg

Classic & Sportscar April 1982 First Issue by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

6602540659_95ef6eac89_c.jpg

Auto Performance Magazine 1st Issue October 1982 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I also picked Auto Performance as a first issue, I ended up buying every issue of it. Still probably my favourite, it had a great mix of stuff.

By the time I started work in 1986 I was buying about 5-6 magazines every month.

Until I moved to our current place I did have to limit the size my collection. With the shed I have at the bottom of the garden that is no longer an issue - I don't think anyone here has seen quite how much I now have, but moving house next time could be an interesting proposition....

I've got a cupboard full of CAR magazines from the late 60s up to when I stopped buying them in about 2010. There's lots of great stories and features but one of my favourites is February 1977's 'Convoy' where three staffers bring a factory fresh trio of Lamborghinis back to the UK from Italy.

I'll never part with this one either.

img339.jpg

7 hours ago, hairnet said:

the other one i wont get rid of is the F40 vs 959 test where they drove from stuttgart to fiorano and asked ferrari if they could go round the track in the 959

ferrari said yes

im upset as i cant find it atm

s-l1600.jpg

I've got his one too somewhere. The only old car magazine I've kept as I always had a thing for Porsches and the 959 in particular.

Up until the age of 11 , I used to get hand me down Autocars and Motorsports from my Dad’s fiend. Then in late 1975 my parents bought a newsagents shop and we lived above it. Apart from flogging individual fags, sweets and dirty mags at school, this meant I could read ALL the magazines, which from memory were Motor, Autocar, Motoring News, Hot Car, Custom Car, CCC , MotorSport and maybe Classic Car

. Oh, and Car. The first one I read ( and still have) was Jan76.

E37897B1-65F8-41E4-A518-8543AE678423.jpeg.98f63e7934eba09d22ea487f99aea66e.jpeg
DC33F836-BE6D-4FC4-ABC4-315FC3B5948B.jpeg.34f7f8ae0c5462ee4e3cdfe9ef00089a.jpegThe Supercar test blew me away. But the 4x4 one where they slated theLand cruiser and printed the letter from Toyota complaining  about the damage, 

Also the Giant Test criticised the 2000E Cortina , something I’d never seen before, all had me hooked. The shop copy of Car was officially earmarked for me, literally, all of my 1976. Copies have my name written on them in biro. We left the shop after less than a year for another short lived business venture, but Car stayed with me until about 1994 , when I got bored with it. I ve dipped in and out since and now I’ve got Readly I do read it every month again, but I get more from Octane. , C&SC , Autocar or Evo..

I went to the FF offices near Smithfield Market and met Steve Cropley and Adam Stinson to try and sell them some “ Scoop!” Pictures of the XJ-S  Cabriolet in 1983(?) and it was everything I imagined it would be; scruffy little office above a bank, piles of magazines and old coffee cups everywhere. They showed me the next months cover on an old fashioned drawing board, it had the XJ-S on it! Unfortunately they were a bit patronising, so I thought “Fuck em!” And sold my pics to David Benson at the Standard , who jumped at them after I told him about Car’s big scoop cover the following week! 
Felt disloyal but I did get a months wages for 2 little photographs and if they hadn’t been so condescending, I’d never have done it.

I read my dad’s CARs all through the 90s but this was the one that I remember reading cover to cover as a nine year old. 

0C9D2B5E-F206-4396-9254-4F56CAC1B336.jpeg

Then practical classics through the late 90s broadened my tastes, although I didn’t save them.

the collecting cars podcasts which someone recommended on here have interesting interviews about the glory days of car mags. I still get CAR (free subscription with Lloyds’ bank- ideal) but it seems not to be comfortable in its own skin at the moment. I like evo, perhaps because that is getting quite nostalgic these days.

I love magazines and find it difficult to chuck any of them out. I still have my dad's sparse collection of Car Mechanics and Practical Motorist (which range from 1968 to the mid-80s), plus a few issues of the AA's Drive magazine from the 70s that my dad's mate used to pass on to us. I actually bought a job lot of Drives off eBay a while back to replace some of the ones I remembered but must have got chucked at some point (in particular, the 1978 triple road test of a 924, 260Z and TVR Taimar, which I think was the start of my slight obsession with 924s). Hopefully, one day I'll actually get round to reading them. I've added to that collection with a variety of titles over the years, but for the last 8 years or so it's mainly been PC, with occasional purchases of other classic mags if they have some interesting content.

I Have a complete run of these.

1983_Supercar_Classics.jpg.25a5b145b655fc80cf4dd97873d73fff.jpg

Began to go down hill when it went monthly.  A couple of issues have letters from me.  I haven't looked at them for years, the internet is just a better place for car nerds.

Dad took this from issue 1, about 1964 and I read pretty much all of them, especially enjoying the travel pieces.

s-l300.jpg.21b521e78d69a839616341f7083f48b3.jpg   After pops died I kept on with it until it became "sport and leisure" and full of power-rangers clothing and package holiday ads.

I have a few favourite issues, (bought from the Motorcycle museum jumble pile a few days before it burned down)

Bike was always worth a look for Paul samples Ogri cartoons and BSH for the fascinating home-brewed engineering. 

This only made it to 17 issues - I never got issue 16?

unnamed.jpg.7b3ca1f181025b26936b137b9179db5b.jpg  A shame it didn't make it as it was nicely done.

But while the Wireless World and Motor Sport archives are all free, complete and online, I'll never be short of an old mag fix. 

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/issues

On 5/23/2020 at 2:24 PM, HMC said:

I had a Daily Express world cars 1992, bought back then at the newsagent where I delivered papers which I think I still have. Well thumbed and pre internet the only source of obscure information...

My Granddad (a proper petrol head in his day) used to buy me that every year for Christmas, even when he was really deteriorating with Parkinson’s apparently it was one of the only presents he ensured was bought.

I still have some of them, but sadly not all, the 1996 one completely fell apart I read it that much!! 

Think I got every edition of the Daily Express Guide during the 1980s. Like HMC, I was fascinated reading about all the models we didn't see in the UK... Autobianchi A112, Gurgel Xavante, Tatra 613, VW Gol... Compiled by the legendary Gordon and Joyce Wilkins at that time.

Found an early 70s edition on a stall at a car show recently -  at that time it was the Daily Express Motor Show Review, but the layout was the same. Somehow resisted the temptation to buy it :-)

15 hours ago, Alusilber said:

Think I got every edition of the Daily Express Guide during the 1980s. Like HMC, I was fascinated reading about all the models we didn't see in the UK... Autobianchi A112, Gurgel Xavante, Tatra 613, VW Gol... Compiled by the legendary Gordon and Joyce Wilkins at that time.

Found an early 70s edition on a stall at a car show recently -  at that time it was the Daily Express Motor Show Review, but the layout was the same. Somehow resisted the temptation to buy it :-)

The Gol! I thought it was a typo at the time.

Ive just bought a years worth of CAR as a job lot for not much. It’s 1989 so I’m looking forward to some good reading. LOads of stuff including the @NorfolkNWeigh linked VP1500/ Orion 1600E / Belmont CD group test.

I have a very very similar collection of car magazines ranging from 1953 to 1993 and I couldn’t ever part with them. My best find was on Facebook - someone put a post on a group saying they had a bunch of old, mostly HotCar magazines. I took the image literally and thought I was getting about 15 or so. I got to his house and he gave me this huge box literally FULL of 1970s car mags. When I got home I counted them and there was 150! And he said he has a few more boxes somewhere in the roof and he’ll let me know when he finds them!