Save some Mazdas?

warninglight

20 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:
The owner of the cars just sent me this.

Bad news
All the cars have been scrapped by the yard owner. This was against what his solicitor's letter said.

Blimey.  

As @HMCsays - sounds very complicated and would have probably ended up as a world of pain trying to do anything anyway.

LOVED seeing the "28 Days Later" style photos up the thread from here. Really captures the bleak scene!

I'll take a run up tonight to weather permitting but that all sounds very definite and final.

For what it's worth, the last time I went to that yard it was a different owner or perhaps his son. He looks about 25 and rocked up in an AMG A Class of some sort. He was the rudest person I ever met. The guy in front of me who asked if they had any BMW alloys in stock (it says they sell alloy wheels and tyres at the gate and they have a lot of BMWs in stock so a reasonable question) really got short shrift from him.

I'd never go there for any parts again.

So he was either fed up of people taking the piss or is just that sort of guy.

It's a shame they were scrapped but I'm sure they could have gone to a good home a few years ago if the owner had just let them go.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

I know where those units are, I went to visit a contact there for some seat bolts for my Corsa.

I may take a state mandated bimble....

I think everyone has taken to the canal paths for their daily jaunt. 
There are few yards at the canal with interesting cars. Trying to remember the last time I was along that way. I seemed to spend last year walking up and down the forth and Clyde continuously. 

Damn, what a shame. Reminds me of that mental guy in Ireland that bought up all the Fiat 132's that ever came up for sale then let them all rot to bits in his field like a twat. When his family had to clear his estate there was like  1 or 2 out of a large number of cars that had any chance of survival. Anyone else remember that?

3 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Damn, what a shame. Reminds me of that mental guy in Ireland that bought up all the Fiat 132's that ever came up for sale then let them all rot to bits in his field like a twat. When his family had to clear his estate there was like  1 or 2 out of a large number of cars that had any chance of survival. Anyone else remember that?

There are people who just like the idea of owning as many as possible, just to prevent others having them.

It does remind me a bit of a Trebus like character who amassed a collection of 2CVs in mid Wales when they were just old bangers, during the 80s/90s.

They were stored on his land in fields/woods and about 15 years ago the local council served an enforcement notice for removal (we are talking at least over 50 here, poss 100ish). The whole thing was a bit convoluted as they were on his own land - I think the crux was the council thought he was running a business and he had no proper storage i.e. Hard standing. The removal enforcement was on environmental grounds. 

After it went back and forth in the courts for a while the council ‘won’ and sent in their scrap men.

IIRC the 2CV club had a look to see if anything was saveable near the end of this saga and if memory serves they said one car was roadworthy and a couple were good for parts!

TL:DR: leaving a car in a field in mid Wales for more than a couple of months is NOT saving it....

P.S. there may have been the odd Trabant as well, just to mix things up.

Although not in the same league as these, are there any proper Mazda lickers in here that are wanting a challenge?

A mate has a 323 (the v6 1.8 one) sat in his yard that I know he had mentioned moving on. All I know is that it was sat on a drive for years which has done it no favours, but it does run and I think is definitely saveable.

Drop me a message if genuinely interested and I’ll sort out some photos.

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

It does remind me a bit of a Trebus like character who amassed a collection of 2CVs in mid Wales when they were just old bangers, during the 80s/90s.

They were stored on his land in fields/woods and about 15 years ago the local council served an enforcement notice for removal (we are talking at least over 50 here, poss 100ish). The whole thing was a bit convoluted as they were on his own land - I think the crux was the council thought he was running a business and he had no proper storage i.e. Hard standing. The removal enforcement was on environmental grounds. 

After it went back and forth in the courts for a while the council ‘won’ and sent in their scrap men.

IIRC the 2CV club had a look to see if anything was saveable near the end of this saga and if memory serves they said one car was roadworthy and a couple were good for parts!

TL:DR: leaving a car in a field in mid Wales for more than a couple of months is NOT saving it....

I think he was a Trabant hoarder, in Derbyshire, although there might also have been 2CVs around the place. Seems he wanted to build up the largest private collection of Trabants.

The local authority certainly had some choice words to say about it, including "eyesore".

A bit of hoarding seems to be good with aims in mind but Hoarding 2.0 sometimes ends up as the hoarding itself being the aim rather than a more general plan for individual cars, selling parts etc. 

There’s probably some psychology to be unearthed there. 

For the preservation of a particular model it can be a disaster as it’s no doubt “safer” from a preservation point of view if there are several people with small groupings of cars but one massive stash being kept in less than ideal conditions and then suddenly being met with a “change in circumstances” has a massive effect.

That of course assumes that there would be several such people with such a focussed interest on 1980s Mazda saloons in the first place.

19 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Nick Low was the guy's name

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2cv-plea-fails-2927448

17 hours ago, Shandylegs said:

WTF happened there ????

There is a delete button about here, click on options and it appears.

\/

\/

\/

the main problem with hoarding cars, especially in britain is our shite weather, i remember reading about a guy in an arid area of portugal who had a huge shed locked shut since the 80s with a load of chod in it. All in remarkably decent condition, i mean the rubber stuff would still probably be fucked, but there's zero point doing it in britain with our climate.