1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2) - Gone :(

SiC

Ken has had to leave now. No post clean shots as it disappointingly doesn't seem to be that dirty. After much vigorous scrubbing with strong chemicals, what looked like ingrained dirt didn't shift. We're pretty certain they're actually supposed to be like that and part of the design!

We also went for a drive afterwards and I'll let Ken give his own write-up and verdict on that. 

Front calipers definitely must be sticking as even after a short drive, the front wheels are noticabley hot. Even in this weather they feel much hotter than they should be. I'll take the calipers off, clean off the moving parts and possibly lob new pistons + seals on it. 

Engine temperature gauge after the drive was just above the normal marker. Higher than on the previous run. But then it's currently 32C outside and probably at the top of the original design limit for the standard thermostat! Possibly if it was this temperature more often it should have a hot climate one in. Certainly didn't appear to be boiling over, so quite happy with the cooling system. 

Finally the volts seem normal after a run (12.7v to 12.9v after a few minutes shutdown), so the dynamo appears to be doing its job. However I don't have a whole lot of trust on the system to not cause me grief and especially fear those cut-off contacts welding themselves together after a run. For the sake of the cost of a £40 alternator plus £15 of bracket and bolts, I'm seriously thinking of just lobbing an alternator on for piece of mind. 

Need to figure out exactly what I need to do it though. I think it's just an A-series alternator bracket that supports the rear of the stud and associated hardware. Then expected simple rewire of the electrics to remove the control box. 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:38 AM, Slowsilver said:

Electrically shouldn't be a problem as a Lucas 17ACR has an internal regulator so only needs one heavy-duty cable to the battery and connection of the existing charge warning light wire. Mechanically, the Renault has a similar 3-point fixing but it depends if you can space it correctly for the drive pulley on it to line up with the existing drive pulley on the end of the camshaft.
On old BL stuff like Minis you could simply fit a piece of metal tube as a spacer to the long bolt on the top mount, as a Lucas alternator is shorter than the dynamo, connect the same two wires to the alternator as went to the dynamo, then remove the voltage regulator and connect the B and D terminal wires together, the F and WL terminal wires together and leave the E(arth) wire disconnected. No extra wiring or loom modifications needed. Or if you wanted to keep the voltage regulator for aesthetic reasons you could remove its innards and make the new connections internally.

Recently posted this in the Renault 6 Rescue thread. Same applies to the ADO16, although for this you can use a long bolt and a spacer or, as you say, buy an alternator rear bracket which bolts to the same two holes in the engine block but is longer to accomodate the shorter alternator body.

There are two B terminals that connect to the control box. One is the feed to the battery and the other goes to the ignition circuits. So both need to stay connected. 

My current thinking is a direct feed from the alternator output to the battery/starter solenoid. D terminal on dynamo end onto Field terminals on Alternator. Earth disconnected. Cut-out terminals have tape or similar to disable any possibility of closing. 

If D terminal on dynamo end too big (probably), then crowbar link to field winding terminal on the back of the regulator. Then use field terminal on the dynamo end. 

Idea being I don't need to modify the control box in a way that isn't easily reversible. Likewise the connectors are kept the same without chopping off. Feed from alternator to battery prevents any power loss and risk of original cables being too thin. 

Just back tracking a wee bit to the other day....

Having seen this little 1100 in the vinyl so to speak, I can confirm you how nice it is, it is a totally and utterly inoffensive little car.

It is nippy enough, happily squishy to drive and with the couple of piddly little odds and sods sorted will be an utter charmer to own. I reckon SiC is in possession of a good'un. 

Love the non-standard blue too. I reckon the alternator conversion is a must.

All in all, an amazing day was had despite the tarmac melting heat.  I really enjoyed popping over and the day was way too short.

PS..... the Porsche is a neck snapper when prodded. 

18 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

All in all, an amazing day was had despite the tarmac melting heat

Yes it was hot!

IMG_20200812_141222.thumb.jpg.8de18bfbb0e953a6e5a0d981192b9b7c.jpg

Admittedly that was localised heat from the tarmac radiating it's stored heat but still was 33c off that... ?

41 minutes ago, sharley17194 said:

The racks from Earlparts were shocking, we got through 3 before giving up and ordering a bush from Australia, the same rack was fitted to a Ferrari and upgraded bushes can be found. I purchased 6 in total but I'm down to my last 2.

Nice to see it out on the road.

Very useful to know! I suspect the bushes are shot already in my recently fitted reconditioned rack from Longbridge Motor Spares (formerly Earlparts). 

Do you have any part numbers for the Ferrari bushes?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Now sold and off to a good home. I'm sad as I loved this little car and haven't had much of a chance to buzz around in, but the cash is useful for my other projects!

Won't be my last ADO16 though. But when I get another, it will have to be my ideal spec - 1300 with 2drs. Or maybe GT....

Alternatively I'd still get a Mini if I could find one for sane money.

• SiC changed the title to 1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2) - Gone :(
35 minutes ago, sharley17194 said:

Thats just sad! Hopefully it's off to a good home. Good luck finding a mini at a sane price. I own one and that feels expensive!

It's a hope I can get an "affordable mini" but an unlikely one! But then I'd be very happy with a 1300 2dr ado16 too. Right now though, after just getting a new kitchen fitted and also needing a new garage door, the cash is really useful right now.