1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2) - Gone :(

SiC

Ok some live updates.

She's not running that sweetly.

Air filter fit for the bin.
9138959e127225fe1954e9b4cf5f36e6.jpg

Plugs sooted up. I've cleaned these and a little better but not a huge amount. Points look alright. Cap is newish and rotor is a newish red rotor. Not looked closer at condenser yet to see if a crappy or good.
36ddd8406a049d9281fd41ad859c3105.jpg

Float bowl has fuel. Is this enough? First time I've properly got into HS carbs. MGB are HIFs. Doesn't look like it should be a problem though.
3bfd0a0dd001686f8988998763b1025c.jpg

Back of engine on radiator side looks like it's had a watery explosion at some point. Initially thought Hydrolastic but thinking maybe coolant.
8a6c95a78313a6fd67d6e1b743a59401.jpg

Under rocker cover is wet. Breather pipe had actual water come out of it.
72acd2482e99d349812701a45bd9114b.jpg
0fea3eabcca300eccf960e588c894e1d.jpg

Mayo all over.
8c48b27d9ff3802e70a6d01faf7621f1.jpg

Dipstick looks clean though.

Just gone in to change clothes to something more appropriate for car work.

Thoughts/suggestions on what to try next?

My experience of modern points and condensers is that more than half of them are complete rubbish. I was a fan of new old stock, but it's getting harder to find. With the Land Rover it was always the points and condenser I even had the distributor changed from Ducellier to Lucas (or was it the other way around?)  still found it hard to find bits that wouldn't randomly die.

These are cheap points. Contacts look burnt out to me. I suspect usually crappy condenser with these things. Going to have a root around to see if I can find a decent one out of my MGB bits. Almost certainly got a spare set somewhere in this unsorted* garage...
bb77a41fdada9859ebc1cdb32b0f5fa4.jpg
04bd9d6e410202125bbdd73cd33ea6c0.jpg

* What I really should be sorting right now, rather than car stuff!

21 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Vinyl roof?  Shiny paint?

FLOORS!?!?!?!

Lovely.

Think that's what you would call a modified BL car isn't it? Definitely not factory.

Also for the points, for your own sanity would it be an idea to go to electronic points?

28 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Vinyl roof?  Shiny paint?

FLOORS!?!?!?!

Lovely.

I know right!! Still need to take the back seats out and have a look under there ?

27 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

The timing sounds retarded beyond belief. I'd mark the distributor, slacken the 7/16 and turn it to see if it picks up.

Then a compression test. It could be that some clown has run it on UL and buggered the valves. What are the clearances like?

It did run really well apparently. Trying to find my spare set of decent points and condenser. Ignition timing could be well out if condenser is shot. I'll get it gapped and statically timed. If that doesn't work, I'll check the clearances and then compression test. 

Previous advert said it had unleaded conversion to the head done to it. Hopefully not those wanky ball things that was on @RobT

41 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

How old is  the pez? It might have the RON rating of gnats piss.

Precisely what I was about to say.  If it's been sitting in there for the last five years it's probably barely combustible.

I'd not worry too much about a damp rocker cover at this stage so long as the dipstick is clean until you've been able to get it run up to temperature for a decent amount of time.  If it's just been shuffled around a compound now and then for years it could honestly just be condensation.

Even if the head gasket does need doing at least it's not a bad job on that engine.  If I'd just bought it and found a stuffed head gasket was the biggest worry and the rest is as decent as it looks I'd still be well happy with the purchase.

Speaking of coolant, the heater hose furthest to the offside where it connects to the heater valve doesn't look too clever...if it's as crusty as the photo makes it look that would want to be replaced sooner than later.

Love the colour.

As above.  Don't worry about mayo (the one I've just bought had at least that much).  That and the state of plugs/air filter suggests many short runs and not getting fully warm.  In the unlikely event it does have HGF it's only a couple of hour's work to do and won't cost much.  Whilst compression tests and checking timing are never bad ideas, I just think it's running way too rich.  As CtP suggests, is the choke mechanism returning fully when pushed in?  They can stick, or even be adjusted such that they never return fully.  I'd also go for a default carb setting; wind the jet fully up then out by 12 flats.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

Then a compression test. It could be that some clown has run it on UL and buggered the valves. What are the clearances like?

What else would they be running it on, seeing as how leaded petrol is only available in a tiny number of places at great expense? Using u/l should have absolutley zero effect on an old car unless it's a brand new rebuilt engine and you blast up and down the motorway at 80mph all day.

Nice buy btw. I think that's what's known as a 'budget colour' but apart from that and the vinyl roof (and the saggy suspension) it looks pretty good! I really want to have a go in one of these asap.

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

How old is  the pez? It might have the RON rating of gnats piss.

The 5% ethanol crap that they put in unleaded now really can gum the fuel lines up when it "goes off". I'm praying the e28 isn't suffering from this when i finally get it out of the garage.