Vespa 50 Special

face

Went for a ride this evening and got 500 yards and it bogged and cut out. Wouldn’t start, so I had to roll it back home.

I noticed there was some fuel seeping from the filler cap - turns out no rubber seal is fitted so I ordered one. Not sure if there is a vapour lock issue, so will make sure the little hole in the top of the cap is clear. Will try starting without the cap on first.

Then I guess onto checking the plug to make sure I’ve a good spark. But it was running fine yesterday, tuning issues aside and I hadn’t touched that side of things since.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, warch said:

I imagine in terms of sheer cool and chic there is little to match a genuine Eyetalian Vespa. The only issue is that you'll need the outfit to go with it. A  raw silk Cerruti shirt, some quality Chinos and hand stitched loafers won't get you much change from a bag mind.

And hope you don't have an 'off' cos the gravel rash makes a mess of your arms and your silk shirt

5 minutes ago, jonathan_dyane said:

On reflection the brass thing looks like a jet that should be tight - I think you need a handbook!

After further research I agree, should be tight like you say.

Knurled screw is for the idle mix as stated above.

CA31C13F-0E63-4705-B957-8F8BC4CD08CD.png

2 hours ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

How old is your fuel? Carb could have dragged up crap as well. Fresh fuel and let her tick over, warm up and a few twists of the throttle to see how she's running? 

New fuel mate, but there was maybe 2 litres in there already. Just waiting for the plug to arrive and will have another crack. She’s not starting at all presently.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out in the sunny high wind weather the other day - got to 40mph on the flat wind assisted, but 15mph coming back! That is just too slow to be safe, so the wasp is booked in for a spot of tuning work - DR 102 cylinder kit, clutch overhaul, 16mm carb, Polini exhaust, gearing tweaks etc. Will give plenty more torque and a 15mph speed increase - enough for me what with the primitive brakes and suspension.

Was originally going to go for a 133/135, but that would mean the engine would need opening up and the crank replaced, plus clutch and electronic ignition fitted - was quoted an eye-watering amount for that from another workshop. The work I am having done, plus the cost of shipping the thing there and back, is a third of the 135 quote without the shipping.

• 3 months later...

I need to run it at fuel/oil ratio of 33:1 for the first 150 miles.

I have a can of fuel left from July. I’m fairly sure I premixed the standard 50:1 back then but cannot be sure.

HTF do I tell if the petrol has any oil in it? Anybody have an idea how I can tell?

The oil I use is reddish, but not enough to the fuel.

Tbh, best rule of thumb is probs to just launch that old fuel and get some fresh stuff then do the mix. It wouldn't be worth (potentially) knackering up all that hard work for the sake of a few quid.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Looks awesome, my PK has a 102 kit as well, what gearing have you gone for?

Mine came with I think 24:72 primary which should mean about 50mph top speed I think? Obviously speed is a secondary consideration to looking cool as fuck.

Thanks man 👍🏻
As far as the gearing goes, I don’t know the ratios but it’s equivalent to a 90SS (I had a workshop do the rebuild).

Like your PK my Special should be good for 50-55, which is plenty on potholed roads with 1970s suspension and brakes!

I wouldn’t have bothered as like you say, the speed is less important than the looks! But mine was woefully slow up the hills, I mean awful - down to 15 fighting between second and third. It was tiring and unsafe, hence the 102 kit etc.

It spins round to 40 comfortably (still running in).

• 8 months later...

First proper ride of the year today.

Fresh fuel, I altered the mixture from 33:1 to 40:1 on its way back to 50:1 as it’s pretty much run-in now.

Head wind on the flat tops at an indicated 55 Kph and coming back the same way saw an indicated 70+ kph, so maybe pushing 45-50 mph.

Lots of steep hills where I live and before the mods were done, it could drop to 15-20 kph, now it’s 25-30 and is far better climbing than it was.

The switch block for engine cut out and lights is not working, so I have to stall it to shut off the engine. Need to look at that sometime.

Ended up taking the mirror off as it won’t stay in position, I think the inner thread is shagged. Will put my fairing mirrors back on, they’re shit and make the scooter wider to edge around in the garage, but they look good.

35AED3CD-0D8C-4DE7-A470-96BDBA51E431.jpeg

118BA357-5B72-482F-99FF-600DCB3D7C0E.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Update, the wasp is now run-in so back to normal oil/petrol ratio.

I don’t hammer it but managed an indicated 80+ kph this evening on a relatively flat road. I guess that equates to about 45mph but I need to GPS it to see.

Anyhow it’s far better on the hills now, used to drop down to 15 mph before the rebuild, now more like 25 mph. I know that still fuck all but it makes a difference.

Anyway, a couple of pics from my ride this evening.

B4E08FF6-2991-4A01-AF6A-132A840E37E8.thumb.jpeg.7f7cff91999a9a15bacb0d8f5222b50b.jpeg

86C02494-C444-4780-837B-944F09B13557.thumb.jpeg.f81372d6ef678d68c10f731d85f61290.jpeg

09B01024-1B74-476A-BD35-EC8A5252F5E5.thumb.jpeg.776c05d9356496924ec5dfc04a0751cf.jpeg