Vespa 50 Special

face

Hello all, I have been hankering after a scooter since I was early teens but something always got in the way of me ever getting one.

There is a nice 50 Special that has come up for sale: https://www.gumtree.com/p/piaggio-motorbikes/vespa-50-cc/1369700491

I know little about these really. But read up on what to look for and at least on the face of it, that one looks worth a look. Tax and MOT exempt. Current owner seems nice and knowledgable too.

Im not worried it’s only a 50 as I quite like 50s, won’t need to take a CBT or use L plates. I could always put a 75 kit on later. This is the slightly higher powered 4-speeder, not the 25mph flat out one.

I live in the sticks and this will be a fair weather scooter for meandering runs through the countryside villages.

Am I nuts? Any pointers?

45 minutes ago, face said:

Yeah definitely a direct import from Pisa Italy. Paperwork backs it up.

That would also have been my concern - pretty much anything restored* in India, Vietnam, Bali etc. will be a death trap, crammed with filler and a frame snot welded together from pieces of about three bikes. These shitters are easily identified by the use of gash accessories and non-year appropriate parts, e.g. they like fitting glove boxes to pretty much anything; 10" wheel conversions on 8" bikes is another favourite. The end result generally looks like something that fell off a Christmas tree, like this:

bluebodge_10363.jpg.473dd51a8a79572f57555f96f7951d6f.jpg

The one you're looking at just looks like a nicely restored smallframe. £2500 sounds a lot for a fiddy, though, but then I'm a bit out of touch with market values for such things!

I will try and barter it lower of course.

This will be an absolute keeper, so if it’s a good one, then I’m happy to pay.

I was going to go for a Royal Alloy, but by the time I’d fucked about with a CBT and light motorcycle test so I could ditch the L plates, would have been about £3500 in for the 125 GT. The GT 50 is not a two stroke, otherwise would have considered that.

They're nice enough, but if I’m dishing that cash out then I think I’d appreciate a classic more than a modern.

• 2 weeks later...

So it arrived last night. Ordered some 6.5X6.5 black and silver plates and fitted the new wheel cover.

Fires up lovely, nice noise and great 2T smell, but was getting a lurch on selecting first (I expected a clunk of some level). Scooter lurches forward and stalls.

Bearing in mind I am a spannertwat, I set about adjusting the clutch this afternoon and after a few goes - SUCCESS - no lurching.

So took the old girl up the village, shifted from N through to four no bother. But, it will not go to neutral or first when pulled up stationary. Only way is to kill then engine and select neutral then (which can be don sans clutch). Fire up again and off she goes like a 44 year old Italian MILF back home - I even hit 45kph!

Tried to kick the scooter over with the clutch pulled (should kick free) but it catches on the first two kicks, then is free. So I think I am maybe almost there with it.

So will have a go at the clutch cable tomorrow - internet wisdom suggests tightening slightly. Stories of clutches not taking too kindly to inactivity (this has been nowhere in 18 months since restoration).

If all fails a mate of a mate locally is a scooter racing wizard and he will take a look.

61289657418--1A6764B4-CE74-4AF8-B0EB-C1E90C2FF484.JPG

I imagine in terms of sheer cool and chic there is little to match a genuine Eyetalian Vespa. The only issue is that you'll need the outfit to go with it. A  raw silk Cerruti shirt, some quality Chinos and hand stitched loafers won't get you much change from a bag mind.

1 minute ago, warch said:

I imagine in terms of sheer cool and chic there is little to match a genuine Eyetalian Vespa. The only issue is that you'll need the outfit to go with it. A  raw silk Cerruti shirt, some quality Chinos and hand stitched loafers won't get you much change from a bag mind.

Once it's fully up and running (including insurance and tax...) then riding it will be a bit of an occasion for me. So will be smartly presented - but not as smart as you suggest above!

iirc, I had to go onto the dvla webshite and declare my previous Lambretta as MOT exempt. I had MOTd it in the past, but after sitting on sorn for a few years, I wanted it to be road legal again ready to sell. Click of a button and it was done, I think. 

As for your clutch, definitely try adjusting the cable first. I'd guess though that whoever has tidied it up has popped a cheap, rubbish clutch in it. Replacements are peanuts and it sounds like you've got the perfect mate to look at sorting it. 

Enjoy!

30 minutes ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

iirc, I had to go onto the dvla webshite and declare my previous Lambretta as MOT exempt. I had MOTd it in the past, but after sitting on sorn for a few years, I wanted it to be road legal again ready to sell. Click of a button and it was done, I think. 

As for your clutch, definitely try adjusting the cable first. I'd guess though that whoever has tidied it up has popped a cheap, rubbish clutch in it. Replacements are peanuts and it sounds like you've got the perfect mate to look at sorting it. 

Enjoy!

Cool mate, thanks will check that out.

I’ve fiddled about with the clutch and had it at various settings but no joy. Down the gears often resists at third. Have put the SOS call out.

2 minutes ago, Mally said:

In my Vespa days I seem to remember hitting neutral just before I stopped.

I might have made it up though, was 50 years ago.

I do know I had to bump start it because the kick start shaft can shear if you fall off!

It just simply won’t go down beyond third or second with the engine running. Stop the engine, wiggle it in gear and then it will go to neutral. Pain in the arse as I can’t really go out on it as it is.

Managed to get the clutch operating. It’s maybe 90% right.

Next job is a tune up. I’ve never done anything like this before, so I’m learning as I go. It’s running fast once warmed up and I think it’s on the rich side as the throttle is a little boggy to pick up.

Warm it up and then set the mixture and idles - baseline them first. Watched a useful YouTube video. So will have a crack hopefully tomorrow.

Anybody have any tips, they’d be welcomed.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, warch said:

Lambretta pal. Vespas work, lammys  don't. But they look cool as fuck ?

IMG_20180611_160109169.jpg

Yep compared to PX, PK and the T5, Lambrettas are so much nicer looking.

Sadly no viable option really for Lammy 50s, hence the Special. But it’s a sweet little thing. Thanks for the comment mate.

Thinking seriously about having a 75 kit lobbed on at some point. Will see, no hurry.

42 minutes ago, face said:

Yep compared to PX, PK and the T5, Lambrettas are so much nicer looking.

Sadly no viable option really for Lammy 50s, hence the Special. But it’s a sweet little thing. Thanks for the comment mate.

Thinking seriously about having a 75 kit lobbed on at some point. Will see, no hurry.

Worth having the 75 kit for a bit more go I'd have thought. Don't forget Lambretta produced the J Range which was a monocoque frame like Vespas - they ranged from 50 to 125cc.

14 minutes ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

Worth having the 75 kit for a bit more go I'd have thought. Don't forget Lambretta produced the J Range which was a monocoque frame like Vespas - they ranged from 50 to 125cc.

Yeah I don’t want fast, just a bit more off the line pace.

Cheers for the information, but not easy to find a Lambretta 50, saying that there is one here: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C790984

I think I prefer the Vespa over it, mind.

11 hours ago, face said:

Yeah I don’t want fast, just a bit more off the line pace.

Cheers for the information, but not easy to find a Lambretta 50, saying that there is one here: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C790984

I think I prefer the Vespa over it, mind.

Agreed. The J range isn't particularly popular amongst us Lambretti, although they're still quite rare little things. The smallframe Vespa is definitely a prettier design. I think the whole point of owning a Lambretta is the fact that the origins of the company lay in manufacturing tubes, which is the basis of most Lambrettas. 

Back on topic, your small frame Vespa looks great. My cousin recently rediscovered and purchased his old Vespa smallframe which he originally owned in the 1980s. It had been in storage for years and was pretty much untouched, although not running. 

Have you found out any more about who restored yours and what was done? Could be worth digging to find out as a reference point...

3 hours ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

Have you found out any more about who restored yours and what was done? Could be worth digging to find out as a reference point...

It was a chap in PIsa who restores a modest amount of small frames. The previous owners here who imported it are very friendly and I am sure would pass on his details.