Triumphant return

bigstraight6

I got the Triumph up and running at the end of last week since it had sat dormant in the garage since last September,  it started first time easily but protested at this long period of inactivity by bursting its clutch slave cylinder when I attempted to select a gear, an eBay sourced replacement and a bit of spanner twirling soon sorted that and I’m now using the car as my daily, burning lots of the now fairly cheap petrol but it’s all about smiles to the gallon with the glorious exhaust note and driving a proper car.

I really have to address some bodywork issues, but I unfortunately don’t possess the skills to do this properly. Both front wheel arches are now quite moth eaten with the dreaded tin worm. This will require repair panels and weldage and I’m trying to find someone who knows what they are doing to sort this. The other smaller bits of grot I will have a go at myself with Vatcan, but I will not attempt any painting with rattle cans after previous disasters, does anyone know where I could get some Valencia blue coach paint I could brush on for that authentic giffer body repair look as I think I could get away with it in the effected areas...

A7618CAF-E7CA-4A69-9D00-4BE7554E1B99.jpeg

2D9AB6A1-18EA-4ABF-9FFB-D44FDBBD594E.jpeg

24BF6545-FCE4-4151-900A-2234B6EF15EC.jpeg

20 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

does anyone know where I could get some Valencia blue coach paint I could brush on for that authentic giffer body repair look as I think I could get away with it in the effected areas...

Nice idea, but for an authentic giffer repair you need to use a slightly different shade of blue.  Trafalgar should do it.

It might just be the lighting, but that car doesn't look like it's Valencia Blue now, maybe that IS the giffer shade!  I remember Valencia well, for that was the colour of the family Herald that wore my L plates 43 years ago.

Unlikely to be an exact match due to fading and the like, but Moss do that colour as a touch up or aerosol:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/spitfire/body-chassis/tools-consumables/classic-car-colours-paints-spitfire-53437.html

Alternatively try a local car paint supplier. Just make sure they don't try looking at Triumph motorcycle colours. 

12 hours ago, bigstraight6 said:

I got the Triumph up and running at the end of last week since it had sat dormant in the garage since last September,  it started first time easily but protested at this long period of inactivity by bursting its clutch slave cylinder when I attempted to select a gear, an eBay sourced replacement and a bit of spanner twirling soon sorted that and I’m now using the car as my daily, burning lots of the now fairly cheap petrol but it’s all about smiles to the gallon with the glorious exhaust note and driving a proper car.

I really have to address some bodywork issues, but I unfortunately don’t possess the skills to do this properly. Both front wheel arches are now quite moth eaten with the dreaded tin worm. This will require repair panels and weldage and I’m trying to find someone who knows what they are doing to sort this. The other smaller bits of grot I will have a go at myself with Vatcan, but I will not attempt any painting with rattle cans after previous disasters, does anyone know where I could get some Valencia blue coach paint I could brush on for that authentic giffer body repair look as I think I could get away with it in the effected areas...

A7618CAF-E7CA-4A69-9D00-4BE7554E1B99.jpeg

2D9AB6A1-18EA-4ABF-9FFB-D44FDBBD594E.jpeg

24BF6545-FCE4-4151-900A-2234B6EF15EC.jpeg

Have you tried AM Restorations at Kay Close, Plympton for the body repairs?

The thing I love about cars of this era is the fact you do not need a fully equipped workshop to fix them. The clutch slave cylinder goes. It is bolted to the outside of the gearbox. You can get to it. Undo the union, a couple of bolts, redo the union, quick bleed and you're on your way. Modern 'improved' cars have the slave cylinder inside the bellhousing as part of the release bearing. When it goes, gearbox or engine out. Not a quick roadside repair. Progress? Really?