Long overdue Renault fleet update

Renault18

12 hours ago, bramz7 said:

I realise this may be a silly thing to say with (TWO) incoming Renaults but I have never had issues with any Renault. Three 19s, two Clios, an 11, 21, 18, Laguna 2.2DT, Safrane....nothing at all, not even a whiff of FTP. And usually they have been far cheaper than their rival products. 

Did the 11 start the love affair?

Sounds as if most if not all of those were made in the 20th Century. Keep it pre 2000 and your good experiences should last.

My Renault. cv is 16 TL, 17 Gordini, 21 Savanna, MK1 Espace GTS, Mk3 Espace 2.2 DT , in all some of the best cars I’ve ever owned. In 2008 I bought a 3 year old Grand Espace 2.2 dCi and will never buy a Renault again, unless it’s from the last Century.

Wow, what an astonishing collection! My own Renault experience is limited to swearing at Bob the R6 and sitting in @RobT's R11 but you've clearly got the Renault bug big time. That 11 is the spitting image of one I see at local shows and both are gorgeous.

42461407502_52f796a498_c.jpg

C994 LUX - 1985 Renault 11 TXE Electronic by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

55 minutes ago, HMC said:

My Renault cv is very sparse. I’ve had the ex @RobT Renault 19 and a 1999 megane and that’s it. Both were Very reliable for the 5 minutes I owned either.

Better than mine - I had a 1998 Kangoo van for a few months back in about 2012 and that's it.  It'd been used on a farm and smelled appalling inside but after a good clean it never gave me any trouble and had zero maintenance while I had it, I'd have another one, much nicer to drive than a Berlingo in my humble opinion.

Good lord, I'm in awe. It's difficult to pick a favourite from that lot.

Your Clio is the spitting image of my other half's current wheels.

DSC00433.thumb.JPG.abae2b9dcfb3607bab3fcc72e5408092.JPG

I too have had pretty reliable service from Renaults (and the Renault engine in my Volvo 340), the only major problem I've had being the shit carb on my R4. They're much tougher cars than people think, what a shame they nuked their reputation with stuff like the Laguna II 20 years ago.

59 minutes ago, Cleon-Fonte said:

DSC00433.thumb.JPG.abae2b9dcfb3607bab3fcc72e5408092.JPG

I too have had pretty reliable service from Renaults (and the Renault engine in my Volvo 340), the only major problem I've had being the shit carb on my R4. They're much tougher cars than people think, what a shame they nuked their reputation with stuff like the Laguna II 20 years ago.

Good God - identical even down to an Autosmart air freshener!

Massive shame about the Laguna 2. It was/is a lovely car and despite terrible problems on those early cars they turn up with starship mileages on them. However, it was a bit too ambitious and let down by dealers, some of whom just didn't know how to sort them, or in some cases even care - mainly because Renault was shafting them over at the time, just so they could go to larger groups.

A brand new 2003 Megane 2 marked my low point with them, yet I had two brilliant Meg2 Sport Tourers and it was as if they were built by a different company. However, although I've got a new Megane estate which I like... 70s 80s 90s are my favourites.

I had an 11 TXE non-electronique in that green colour. Loved it even when the throttle cable kept jamming open.

my other 11 claim to fame is a hire car in the Spanish Isles - a GTC spec with the R12 1289cc(?) engine. Never seen one since.

Lovely fleet. Proper jealous.

Massive shame about the Laguna 2. It was/is a lovely car and despite terrible problems on those early cars they turn up with starship mileages on them. However, it was a bit too ambitious and let down by dealers, some of whom just didn't know how to sort them, or in some cases even care - mainly because Renault was shafting them over at the time, just so they could go to larger groups.

I had one of the first Laguna 2 1.9dci Tourers on a Y plate when it was almost new got with 40k miles and under 3 year warranty.

In the year I owned it broke down with:-

Rear caliper seized
Steering rack leaking
Gear linkages falling off
Threw its gearbox oil out all along the driveshaft all over the brake disc, my mate was driving at the time and discovered this as we came into the dartford crossing toll booths sideways.
Failed to recognise keycards (twice)
Sunroof stopped working
It also would do no more than 35mpg and despite being in the dealer a number of times no fault found..

The final straw though was the turbo going just after I'd bought an extended warranty and I had to do all the running with the warranty company, the repair would of been £1200 so they sent an assessor out to the main dealer who hadn't taken the turbo off as agreed for inspection so the claim was denied. I ended up doing a deal with the dealer to part ex it for 1/2 what I paid the year before and put a bit of cash in and came away with a Mk4 Astra.

At that point I swore never again will I own another Renault !

(Although I do quite fancy a Mk1 Clio or Mk1 Laguna now)

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Did you take your 11 to FOTU back in 2018? I remember there being an Electronic a lot like yours there. In fact the more I think about it, the more I remember you showing me the talking dashboard! Small world.

What an excellent collection. The two tone Renault 18 is a personal highlight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...