Jump to content

Long overdue Renault fleet update


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, HMC said:

Wonderful! Is that the ex- @bramz7 estate?

I don’t think so. I purchased this ver low mileage 1.4 TL about five years ago after a very well-hidden advert on FB Marketplace. It is unbelievable and I love it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

Superb fleet.

 

Okay I will out myself (not that it was a secret) as the V6 Laguna buyer and promise you'll get first dibs when I am inevitably done with it. 

I’d heard you were the buyer. That’s twice I’ve missed it! ?? Enjoy the car, as they are great. I’ve been tipped off that there’s a manual RTi near me, but it’s been sitting for years and getting it fit for the road again would be uneconomical... much like the cars themselves!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Renault18 said:

By the way, some might know this, but my dad ordered that 11 Electronic new from Willows Garage in October 1984 and, as a then nearly 14 year-old, I got to choose the colour! It is quite a special car!

I went with my dad to the Renault dealer in late 1983 - they had an ex-demo 11 in the showroom in metallic blue which I was desperate for my dad to buy - I thought the wraparound rear screen was the coolest thing I'd ever seen (I was 4 at the time).  He decided it was too expensive and bought a 4-year-old 6TL instead, which he kept for years - I have fond memories of that car, it's the main reason I own a 6 myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Renault18 said:

I’d heard you were the buyer. That’s twice I’ve missed it! ?? Enjoy the car, as they are great. I’ve been tipped off that there’s a manual RTi near me, but it’s been sitting for years and getting it fit for the road again would be uneconomical... much like the cars themselves!!

 

Well I will still let you know if and when. I missed out on it the first time, and to be honest I was smitten when Rob let me drive it.

 

I see you have a 1.9D Clio too, is that the red one? I loved my one, even if it had the coarsest engine note I have ever experienced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

 

Well I will still let you know if and when. I missed out on it the first time, and to be honest I was smitten when Rob let me drive it.

 

I see you have a 1.9D Clio too, is that the red one? I loved my one, even if it had the coarsest engine note I have ever experienced. 

Many thanks for that - unless a 9 or 11 crops up in the meantime! Chances of a Ph2 11 TXE...slim! Red Clio is 1.9 diesel. I had one back in 1997 and loved it. This is low miles. It has had only one owner and she obviously liked to treat it to a good spruce up using wire wool, the odd Blow with a hammer and tins and tins of Naples Red spray. Several litres of cellulose thinner, a few gentle taps with a hammer and the purchase of a da polisher and I now have a beautiful Clio again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing a phase 1 Laguna again makes me realise that they have all very suddenly disappeared.  They were everywhere a few years ago and now you can go months without seeing them.  Definitely one that has just 'gone'.  Pleased to see everything looking so pristine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I realise this may be a silly thing to say with (TWO) incoming Renaults but I have never had issues with any Renault. Three 19s, two Clios, an 11, 21, 18, Laguna 2.2DT, Safrane....nothing at all, not even a whiff of FTP. And usually they have been far cheaper than their rival products. 

Did the 11 start the love affair?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good lord what a lovely collection! I especially love the 18s and the 11.

I bumped into somebody at work whom I was certain was the son of a very good friend of my dad's. I recalled we went to their house in the mid 80s and my dad's friend showing me his 11 Electronique. It turned out I was right about my colleague and we both remembered that car very well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

I realise this may be a silly thing to say with (TWO) incoming Renaults but I have never had issues with any Renault. Three 19s, two Clios, an 11, 21, 18, Laguna 2.2DT, Safrane....nothing at all, not even a whiff of FTP. And usually they have been far cheaper than their rival products. 

Did the 11 start the love affair?

In over a hundred Renaults, the only one that I really lost my rag with was a brand new Megane 2 back in 2003. God, that was bad. I put up with it for five months before demanding that Renault took it back. They probably wanted to argue, then looked at how many times the car had actually spent in their workshops. I went back to a Scenic which gave no trouble.

My love affair started with dad’s 1969 16TS which he bought when I was four - more specifically Willows Garage which is the first dealer I remember seeing with all the flags outside. Going there was a proper day out!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always enjoy your posts on Facebook!, Your green  R18 TL was jaw dropping beautiful, i was having serious thoughts about buying it myself when i first saw you post it, I've always had a thing for 70s and 80s Renaults as i grew up opposite a now long gone dealer in Essex for my first 10 years, i used to have a lovely photo of the forecourt full of R21 and Fuegos but can't find it anymore so here's me in about 1985/86 instead in front of it.

93365122_225660428534991_5376335220981104640_n.thumb.jpg.f8fa9bc4c374e4629159a721006b654b.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who owned that silver 18 previous to you I nearly bought it 7 years ago from an old boy at the nec classic car show, I emailed him when I got home never got a response, think it needed a clutch, it was lush

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful collection of cars and ephemera. 

 

Have you seen the rather nice all black V6 Laguna on eBay? Bloody nice but price is slightly optimistic at £1995. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving your Renault collection. I've previously owned a pair of Renault 19's. Both J reg. One a 1.9 GTD which I was given for free and the other a 1.4 GTS-X that I saved from a scrap yard.

An I also had a K reg 1.6 D Extra 575 Van which was ace. Wish I still had them all after seeing yours!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, petermchugh79 said:

Who owned that silver 18 previous to you I nearly bought it 7 years ago from an old boy at the nec classic car show, I emailed him when I got home never got a response, think it needed a clutch, it was lush

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
 

Malcolm Bailey owned the 18. He was the ROC Treasurer. He did do the clutch.

I had several conversations with him about the car and eventually contacted him a couple of years back to agree a deal. Tragically, days afterwards he suddenly passed away without warning. His widow eventually contacted me and the deal went through. It’s odd, because I always refer to it as ‘Malcolm’s GTS.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

What a wonderful collection of cars and ephemera. 

 

Have you seen the rather nice all black V6 Laguna on eBay? Bloody nice but price is slightly optimistic at £1995. 

Thank you! Yes and the even more expensive blue one! The blue one went through auction for £370 before being advertised again. It had been offered for even less than the auction figure to any member of the Renault Owners’ Club, but the family were seemingly persuaded to auction in instead. I suppose it’s like any other car, you either like them or loathe them. I love them - but £1995 or even £2795 for a Laguna. No!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, it's frustrating that the car is with a 'specialist' as they likely overestimate its worth - I bet it'll be for sale a long time. French stuff is very esoteric here and has a niche market. There are a few of us old Renault lickers up in Manchester but we're very much a minority... I'd quite like a 16 or an LHD 4 (or perhaps an early 5) myself but for the time being it isn't really practical. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful collection, I'm about to faint...

I paid £380 for the V6 Laguna, which I'd wager is in better condition than the £1,995 or £2,495 ones on eBay.  Kidding themselves!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trigger said:

I always enjoy your posts on Facebook!, Your green  R18 TL was jaw dropping beautiful, i was having serious thoughts about buying it myself when i first saw you post it, I've always had a thing for 70s and 80s Renaults as i grew up opposite a now long gone dealer in Essex for my first 10 years, i used to have a lovely photo of the forecourt full of R21 and Fuegos but can't find it anymore so here's me in about 1985/86 instead in front of it.

93365122_225660428534991_5376335220981104640_n.thumb.jpg.f8fa9bc4c374e4629159a721006b654b.jpg

Already rocking the Christmas jumpers 35 years ago I see!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to add really, other than the fact they rest of us need to stop worrying about trivialities like “space” and “money” and just get on with harvesting motor cars. 

There are two Renaults I’d like to own. A 21 Savannah and a Boggo spec Clio (again)

Great collection. Please keep writing about them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...