Schrodinger's Diversion Restoration/Rebuild/Something something dark side

TheMokrite

Hullo all a bit of a follow on from the collection thread - 
https://autoshite.com/topic/40575-attempting-to-collect-schrodingers-two-wheeler/
I am aware this has two wheels less than the preferred version of shite here but this bike definitely qualifies as Shite. So here's my 'new' '95 XJ600S/N.

As a Motorcycle obsessed adult I have recently decided it is time to get myself a 'big bike' and stop running around on Chinese hairdryers with the same sized engine as my dad's lawnmower. So me and @stereotypewent to collect the bike after a bit of a viewing in what would be considered a sketchy part of town. The bike had been used as a 'field bike' (no fields nearby) and had no ignition barrel which honestly amazed me the bike was still there as no keys required (aware this is a red flag right there but did confirm as not stolen before purchase).

After speaking to the owner on the phone it seems the bike had been purchased to ride about with his son as the son had a dirtbike but the owner wasn't a fan of 2 wheels and had no intention of getting it back on the road. The asking price was £350 which for a 600cc motorbike would barely get you an engine and a frame these days. So after looking at the bike, totting up the parts required to get this through an MOT and road ready (these can be two different things sometimes), and haggling down to £280 I socially distance shook hands and pushed the bike home with @stereotype's help on the hills.

Now if I was a more sensible person then I likely wouldn't have purchased this bike, but as my Dad said -A bargain but alot of work, just how I like it-. I'm no stranger to swinging a spanner but the list of jobs is quite long, though more on that later. For now here's some pictures as bought.

received_2596087950638257.thumb.jpeg.b8fd889aa06c8b6ec2d89d3a85adae4c.jpeg
Little tired pushing it up a hill

IMG_20200506_184324.thumb.jpg.583386c23bf515db0bee48848582bfaf.jpg
Finally back home

received_655110238382293.thumb.jpeg.7bdad11ba963c96649d8be9ea40dfab8.jpeg
Trying to convince myself I love wiring on bikes (And failing)

received_1296356074042433.thumb.jpeg.238e14b647a7eb73599706aa18feea93.jpeg
Pretending I can go broom broom choo choo

So onto the nitty gritty of what is to come, here is the list of jobs that will be happening to the bike over the next however long (depending on variables such as other projects, work, money, life, cheesecake)

Chain and sprockets need replaced - a job I would do with most 2nd hand Bikes
Speedometer assembly fitted - Have recieved the unit from eBay but will need frame fabricated to mount 
All 3 locks replaced - Ditching the silly eBay non locking fuel filler and fitting Ignition barrel and replacing seat catch so can use same key for all 3 (too many keys in my life as is)
Replace front fork seals and dust covers - Fork seals somewhere between seeping and gushing hydraulic fluid 
Rear shock - Super crusty and very soft, though unsure if that's a Divvy level of soft or a replace me level of soft
Brake discs and Pads Front and Rear - Likely with stripped and cleaned calipers
Plastics and Fairings - Plastics on the bike are a bit haggard and pretty sure this was once a fully faired Divvy so still deciding which direction to go (fully naked wasteland or fibreglass fairings)
Full Service - including Valve clearances and carb clean/rebalance
Fuel Tank + Petcock need a good clean
Exhaust sorted - deciding whether to just replace right hand muffler or sploodge on a stainless 4-1 system to remove muffler from centre stand area
Wiring - Wire in eBay Ignition barrel and reloom lighting circuit for indicators and front light unit (and tidying the mess seen in the above picture)
Fit indicators all round
Add some mirrors
Either rebuild or replace both brake master cylinders
New Clutch and Throttle cables
Either align current headlight or fit replacement if adding fairing
Both new tyres
Add a rear grab handle and possibly a frame to hold luggage
Also considering full strip, rust removal and repaint as is quite crusty in general.

As I said before, long list, and any project always includes at least 10% more jobs than anticipated. Am I a muppet for buying this? Probably. Do I regret it? Not yet.

35 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

How did you two NOT get a chat with the polis, pushing that? ?

Alternatively, top bombing!  Looking forward to the rebuild fred.

I do look like a lost puppy so maybe they just felt sorry for me

29 minutes ago, Tickman said:

What is this meer 10%, I don't understand, think at least another 0 is required.

I'm an optimist, though your assessment is probably more realistic lol

Small update,

have spent the last hour or so scouring the internet for parts needed for the build and have created a spreadsheet (yes I am that sad, blame my father) with a link to all parts required, breakdown of costs (which makes my wallet very upset) so I know what I'm getting myself into and can plan the actual work ahead of time like a good and sensible boy (a new thing I'm trying). Also had some parts arrive from an 'Internet Auction Site'

IMG_20200518_181347.thumb.jpg.603a4657f4018586d9d3f1f5c584b48a.jpg
New lock set so will have a matching key for all 3 locks

IMG_20200518_181419.thumb.jpg.072ae2a7687ecd58784bf85f6ada3210.jpg
And a speedo assembly so I can actually see how fast* I am going

Other parts on order is a new speedo cable and front fairing bracket 

On 5/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, TheMokrite said:

Hullo all a bit of a follow on from the collection thread - 
https://autoshite.com/topic/40575-attempting-to-collect-schrodingers-two-wheeler/
I am aware this has two wheels less than the preferred version of shite here but this bike definitely qualifies as Shite. So here's my 'new' '95 XJ600S/N.

As a Motorcycle obsessed adult I have recently decided it is time to get myself a 'big bike' and stop running around on Chinese hairdryers with the same sized engine as my dad's lawnmower. So me and @stereotypewent to collect the bike after a bit of a viewing in what would be considered a sketchy part of town. The bike had been used as a 'field bike' (no fields nearby) and had no ignition barrel which honestly amazed me the bike was still there as no keys required (aware this is a red flag right there but did confirm as not stolen before purchase).

After speaking to the owner on the phone it seems the bike had been purchased to ride about with his son as the son had a dirtbike but the owner wasn't a fan of 2 wheels and had no intention of getting it back on the road. The asking price was £350 which for a 600cc motorbike would barely get you an engine and a frame these days. So after looking at the bike, totting up the parts required to get this through an MOT and road ready (these can be two different things sometimes), and haggling down to £280 I socially distance shook hands and pushed the bike home with @stereotype's help on the hills.

Now if I was a more sensible person then I likely wouldn't have purchased this bike, but as my Dad said -A bargain but alot of work, just how I like it-. I'm no stranger to swinging a spanner but the list of jobs is quite long, though more on that later. For now here's some pictures as bought.

received_2596087950638257.thumb.jpeg.b8fd889aa06c8b6ec2d89d3a85adae4c.jpeg

this is @Cavcraft every time he buys something - DODGEH AS FUCK M9

Pretending I can go broom broom = yeah underneath it with one :D its a 25 yo yamaha :D

this is @Cavcraft every time he buys something - DODGEH AS FUCK M9

Pretending I can go broom broom = yeah underneath it with one :D its a 25 yo yamaha :D

itll be ok once ya sort the rusty fucked bits - theyre dead simple - the hard part was pushing it home

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

itll be ok once ya sort the rusty fucked bits - theyre dead simple - the hard part was pushing it home

The rust isnt too bad, just the frame, swingarm, rear suspension... will be stripped and repainted so hopefully won't crumble at 70(ish) on the motorway

The steel frame on these are pretty substantial; unless its really crispy a bit of Vactan should sort the worst of it. If the swingarm is rotten I'd imagine there are plenty on eBay for a pittance.

Rear shock might have been set to 1/7 pre-load. The adjuster is probably seized but removing the whole thing is easy (and can be done in-situ) and freeing off is only a matter of patience, wilko brand penetrating fluid (1.50 a tin) and a hammer. If it is shot there are plenty of replacement units around still. Not sure if the later xj6 units fit. The one i put back together was have fairly soft suspension. 5/7 on the preload improved things but only a bit and that was setting the sag to the youtube spec heights.

11 minutes ago, hairnet said:

edit: iz run yet?

ran for a little bit with easy start sprayed into the intake, but not sure still how it'll run under its own fuelling as battery is totally shot. Which I just realised isn't on my spreadsheet.  

3 minutes ago, tobyd said:

The steel frame on these are pretty substantial; unless its really crispy a bit of Vactan should sort the worst of it. If the swingarm is rotten I'd imagine there are plenty on eBay for a pittance.

Rear shock might have been set to 1/7 pre-load. The adjuster is probably seized but removing the whole thing is easy (and can be done in-situ) and freeing off is only a matter of patience, wilko brand penetrating fluid (1.50 a tin) and a hammer. If it is shot there are plenty of replacement units around still. Not sure if the later xj6 units fit. The one i put back together was have fairly soft suspension. 5/7 on the preload improved things but only a bit and that was setting the sag to the youtube spec heights.

It's pretty crusty but mostly salvagable so the plan is wire wheel, rust treat and rattle can paint job. Not sure how salvagable the shock is until i get it off though extremely soft. However the internet tells me fzr600 rear shocks of similar year will fit in. I'll try salvage op on the shock if not then will be an eBay jobby. But I'll have a look at where the pre-load is sat first. Though as both seals on the front forks are blown due to previous owner pretending it was a dirt bike, may be prudent to fit fresh suspension anyway