BMW E65 7 Series - The Chris Bangle One - Discuss

S2000

I have no need or desire for a big floaty barge but I keep seeing and warming to these....... I have no space on the drive and realise doing a ‘KLF’ and burning the money may be more fun than the shit and pain it will cause me...... Discuss my wise flock....

I don't care how good they drive, if they do 70mpg and never break, I just couldn't drive something that wilfully ugly. The front end is a mish mash of unrelated lines and gawkiness and the rear looks like someone's tried to fit an E36 bootlid onto a completely different car.

I'd have an E38 7 series in a shot, but not one of these.

the e38's are one of the best styled saloons in car history IMO.

The bangle models that replaced them are FUGLY, but the facelift turns it into a far better looking car. Not sure much was ever done about the fact they rarely seem to actually be working, though.

Fwiw, i'd go for the older E38, i think the 728i will be a little underwhelming, would try to aim for the 'big' V8, the 740i.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but they look ugly to me and I have never got used to the boot shut lines.

My friend had a one to replace his E38 and it proved capable of dishing out unlimited pain, in fact so much he replaced it with a Honda.

He still has the E32 he had before the E38 and loves it.

Agree with comments re the E38. Had three and loved them all. Only the 3.0l and the 2.8l's though.

2.8 was a great engine, but bet the higher capacity ones are just as good. (Some great videos on Youtube of some german guy "i think" recommisioing an e38 v12. Scary stuff.

Do like CHris Bangle, think the Z4 is a work of genious, but to my mind just does not work on the E65.

7 hours ago, Mrcento said:

the e38's are one of the best styled saloons in car history IMO.

The bangle models that replaced them are FUGLY, but the facelift turns it into a far better looking car. Not sure much was ever done about the fact they rarely seem to actually be working, though.

Fwiw, i'd go for the older E38, i think the 728i will be a little underwhelming, would try to aim for the 'big' V8, the 740i.

I've had a couple of E38s, sold a 728 MSport years ago which was in hindsight a massive mistake, in true AS fashion the E65 fits a bill of shite!

Friend of mines dad had a 760Li (the V12 version) when we were ar school with the Logic 8 sound system (unbelievable sound quality) and 22" Chrome wheels bought from a place in Cricklewood which I dont think is there anymore. The car was unbelievable and went like shit off a shovel. I tried buying it when I was 19 but as is expected insurance was not ermmm feasible LOL 

He averaged 13mpg mixed.

Ah just remembered him telling me over 800 electrical systems in that 760 and the logic 8 sound system uses fibre optic cabling I believe.....

This was the first BMW to have idrive and anyone with an early e60 5 series will know how bad it is .  The interface itself is okay I guess  but they got carried away with the amount of configuration they could now do. Things that would have had 1 button now has 16 modes. 
On my e60 I couldn’t get it warm enough through the heaters and it’s because the heaters had different temp modes controlled via idrive. Totally baffling .

I had an e38 740i with 240,000 miles on it and it was a nice car . I’d like to try an e65 but only at leave it the side of the road when it goes on fire money.

This is from memory so probably totally untrue. Remember one of the guys on the Saab forum purchased a 760 e65.Lovely car but i vaguely recall pictures of him having to take the front bumper off to change some light bulbs.

I'm going to see if I can find if this is true or my memory playing tricks on me, 

EDIT:

Cant find the thread on UKSaabs, but does seem to be true
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526286

I think in another dimension, Leepu from "Chop Shop" got Chris Bangle's position, and Chris Bangle ended up in a London workshop fibreglassing random shapes of metal onto 30 year old cars. His concepts are rank and I just don't get how they got approved, especially by a company like BMW.

The biggest market for the 7 series is China, and they like really chintzy, blingy, ugly crap so it makes sense.

25 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

The 7 series is currently languishing in that spot between quirky classic and reliable modern, the sweet spot for those brave enough to buy one. Let’s call it ‘shite o’ clock’. 

I like them, but am not brave. The E34 is more my thing.

The E34 is an awesome Car, several years ago they were in the 'less than a grand' territory but now they have started to command more serious money......

54 minutes ago, abelw44 said:

Not sure it's entirely related, but this guy does fantastic videos of working on big German barges that scared the crap out of me...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLLpxcworT8275nBXODXyqw

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I love his channel . I noticed he has steered away from bangle era stuff but has just imported a manual e60 m5 from the states  

Never been a Merc Man unfortunately, ex wife had a couple of SLK's and I had an ML that drank more than a bus load of Vicars at Peppermint Rhino's but would have a W140 for angular charm if I had to choose.

The W220 as @Fabergé Greggs quoted about the E65 is Solid Gold Shite but I prefer the pain of a BMW with many many issues......

I was given a brief test drive of a V12 a few years ago; as you'd expect it went shit off a teflon-coated shovel but the i-drive stuff would give me the fear and it reminded me of a puggy machine with all the ZOMG£££ lights, although that might just have been the one I drove.

GIB, obvs.