gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - unlowering the green machine

gm

even half way seems a long way off right now :) 

a new clutch slave and the starter motor were fitted

IMG_8913.thumb.JPG.7981ca0065dc6ce197c7df80caab2f06.JPG

the crank lock removed and pulleys refitted, thought I might as well stick the belt on while I was at it 

IMG_8914.thumb.JPG.a45e35d2be22cffe52f1319745d52f4b.JPG

and swung it round so that manifold is nice and easy to refit

IMG_8915.thumb.JPG.807200b097cf3c9fd6d307307fef871e.JPG

having rescued the manifold from that torrential rain earlier, I gave it another coat ( I drilled holes in the worktop to hold it steady for painting )

IMG_8916.thumb.JPG.a062203502c297de22341f291533d3cd.JPG

IMG_8917.thumb.JPG.2d30ea79a1fc6c096344e8d343540be3.JPG

then thought I might as well do the downpipe too

IMG_8918.thumb.JPG.268cc4ec7e6d0fd8084842a92d327428.JPG

and sorted out some bits and pieces for a run through the dishwasher

IMG_8919.thumb.JPG.b73cbf49244a939f5eed6e50cd13107d.JPG

look at the state of that coolant tank - is a finish powerball up to the job ? :) 

2 hours ago, gm said:

look at the state of that coolant tank - is a finish powerball up to the job ?

was it bollocks ! 

IMG_8921.thumb.JPG.95645a8ca84aff71a79acd610c01de63.JPG

i hope that's not some sort of k-seal gunk in there :( 

I'm not planning to re-use the tank, it was just an experiment really. I've filled it with Flash floor cleaner to soak overnight and see if that has better luck :) 

I always wanted an Exocet, properly loving this thread!

I panicked slightly when you mentioned removing the pulleys, and then realised on a K reg (also perhaps 1.8?) that the SNC issue is't a worry here... Also, your donor car has had Mk2 seats fitted at some point by the look. Those ones are the best seats of the whole MX5 range for tall folks (Early Mk2 seats)- I'm 6,2" and they made roadster ownership possible for me as they sit you a whopping 2-3 inches lower than any of the other options, the heated leather ones being the worst offenders for height.

As you're pretty local, give me a nudge if you need a hand with anything help or tool wise. I can't promise anything, but if I can oil the wheels of progress give me a nudge.

you’re welcome to nip round and have a nosey anytime, there a ton of wire brushing and painting to be done :) 

we can take the other mx5 out for a spin if you’re missing yours too much 

this one is just a 1.6 (an S-special) but has the all important lsd. Those seats can be available if you decide to buy something to fit them in :) 

FDA12865-C522-4D6E-A5F1-F8CF6515540D.thumb.jpeg.bac66ce64c48bdfe568f9a41aa48e7d9.jpeg

There was a delivery today after all, nothing very exciting but will come in handy.

39C4F220-7262-4A5C-9D33-C7640A6EB468.thumb.jpeg.165bae10d59b5522857cfbd68b96f6da.jpeg

good news is that I’ve arranged to go visit a local Exocet builder to have a good chinwag about his build and nosey about his car - it is finished but not yet iva’d so we won’t be going for any crazy b-road blasts but I’m excited just to see one for real :)  

I went to visit a very nice chap called Paul who has built an Exocet and is ready to put it through the IVA. He has built several kit cars over the years and clearly knows his onions. I had a good nosey around his car, it's based on an early mk2 1.8 mx5 so mechanically pretty close to what I will be doing. It was great to see first hand how neatly everything fits together, to learn some tips, tricks and pitfalls to avoid during the build, a very interesting and useful day.

Then he dropped a bombshell - he's planning on selling it ! He has another kit car (an MEV Rocket, based on Ford Focus mechanicals) that is his pride and joy, the Exocet was just for the fun of building it. Having spent yesterday number crunching about my own build, it would appear that, on a purely financial basis, it would make way more sense to buy his finished car. 

IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.365bd14ec7e2a95f3d5c05ca1106524d.JPG

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.093e7a5732bc6723d2fc89843fec05fa.JPG 

I don't know if I will but it's certainly worth thinking about.

1 minute ago, paulplom said:

Surely the point is the satifaction of building it yourself?

The iva might be a while yet. My mate has been waiting since before lock down to iva his hellcat. I think there will be a massive back log.

yep, that was always the plan, I can't imagine how good it must feel when you finally get to drive your very own car that you built yourself

and today's news is..............

Big Excite - I've just paid the deposit for my very own Exocet kit !!1!!!!11111!!!!!

time to get stuck into those subframes and have everything ready for when it arrives :) 

I think I'll post another pic of that black one, just for the hell of it 

IMG_2364.JPG.bfda47659716f9a7e12899dcaee7b0c7.JPG

Just now, rainagain said:

Stupid question: with having no windscreen do you have to wear a helmet with a visor whenever you drive it? Or could you get away with glasses/sun glasses? 

I'll be fitting a pair of "fly screens" that are supposed to deflect the bugs away from your face - I suspect wrap around sunnies or a helmet will be needed too - there is a windscreen option but it looks a bit awkward, most folk seem happy with the fly screen option

I really don't want to sell it but will need the space in the garage and the funds for the kit :( 

I'll have a look down the back of the sofa and see if there's any big bundles of ££s that I've forgotten about :) 

1 hour ago, rainagain said:

Stupid question: with having no windscreen do you have to wear a helmet with a visor whenever you drive it? Or could you get away with glasses/sun glasses? 

You don't have to wear a helmet, but as Big Al points out, having a fly hit you on the forehead at 60*mph is not pleasant. I always wear one in the Locost. 

Exciting news on the purchase @gm, do they send you bits as and when you'll need them or do they just send you the whole lot at once? 

Just now, dome said:

Exciting news on the purchase @gm, do they send you bits as and when you'll need them or do they just send you the whole lot at once? 

Sounds like one of those magazines you see advertised on telly, compete in only a hundred issues ! 

With this one, you just hire a van and collect everything at once, there's not much you can do without the frame other than what I'm already cracking on with. 

Twelve weeks ! It's going to be agony waiting that long. At least I should have everything ready to bolt on when i do collect it.

4 minutes ago, dome said:

I can vouch for this thing being one of the most fun cars i've ever driven! Until I get a shot of its replacement that is ;)

Form an orderly queue :) 

Although the prospect of bringing this three hours north to Knockhill is a little daunting - might need to buy a ski suit !