gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - unlowering the green machine

gm

Just discovered this thread and following with much interest.

Can't believe it's been 5 years since I got rid of my '5, I do miss it even though it was the soft and squidgy Mk2.5 - it was still great fun to thrash round Knockhill even though I was invariably the slowest thing on the track!

(happy memories of being pulled out of the gravel in your red one too - GM was driving I hasten to add, I'd never have had the balls to go fast enough to be at risk of putting it in the gravel!)

I'm very glad at the price you're selling yours at as it means I can in no way afford to be tempted although it will be worth every penny to someone.

I thought it was the blue one you had a go in ? That red one certainly got around :) great little car, although I don’t recall any of this “going off into the gravel” doesn’t sound like something I would do !??!? 
I’ll certainly miss this one but the exo will hopefully be even more fun, can’t wait to get properly stuck into the build. 

12 minutes ago, gm said:

I thought it was the blue one you had a go in ? That red one certainly got around :) great little car, although I don’t recall any of this “going off into the gravel” doesn’t sound like something I would do !??!? 
I’ll certainly miss this one but the exo will hopefully be even more fun, can’t wait to get properly stuck into the build. 

Hmm may have been the blue one I drove but definitely had a few passenger rides in the red one. I'm sure it was down at Clark's corner you had that wee off!!

Subframes and wishbones have all had three coats and are looking good. Hoping for the arrival of polly's bush tomorrow and some assembly can commence. 

IMG_9167.thumb.JPG.3922dc1b6bd7ca5b5f8eeea0c0b111f8.JPG

IMG_9168.thumb.JPG.d650cc595bc0e1f650a6d5307b092f5a.JPG

IMG_9169.thumb.JPG.9d67a08d868acb277293493ea2f3f721.JPG

not sure what to do with the alloy section of the diff casing - all black might be a bit much but wheel silver might be too bright ? The rest of the build is various shades of black, I might choose a highlight colour for the brake lines and calipers but want to see it sort of built first.

IMG_9170.thumb.JPG.656a4402d35b0d336bf15158d5939048.JPG

57 minutes ago, gm said:

not sure what to do with the alloy section of the diff casing - all black might be a bit much but wheel silver might be too bright ? The rest of the build is various shades of black, I might choose a highlight colour for the brake lines and calipers but want to see it sort of built first.

How about some shade of grey for the alloy casing. Sort of keeps with the original theme without the bling factor of silver

16 hours ago, gm said:

Oh for fucks sake, not again ! 

IMG_9163.thumb.JPG.cebdeb740c406769a719dc4e692c0254.JPG

Easy remedied with a trolley jack but a little embarrassing in front of the neighbours 

I jack the car up nowadays and put the ramps under it. Much easier than trying to drive up it and risk that happening. Can drive back down after or jack up and remove ramps. 

I’m just checking the history folder before someone is due to view the mx5 this afternoon and there are quite a few receipts for brake pads :

7 front and 5 rear in four years !

there were probably a couple of sets bought on eBay too :) 

good service history ftw ! 

there are still two bushes remaining to be removed, this one is perilously close to my nice new cv joint so some ingenuity was required 

IMG_2501.thumb.JPG.dd73c5e9f53eda69fab252a9111dd9ad.JPG

upright in the vice, with a curtain pole supporting the drive shaft

IMG_9178.thumb.JPG.410dc2aa9149f7059669d1c2f67e20e4.JPG

and a bit of scrap metal bent to form a heat sheild

IMG_9176.thumb.JPG.f6ba5d1f0d57f91af759c1bd1930bbf4.JPG

bush be gone !

IMG_9179.thumb.JPG.e8e65787aa481ffb96fda76efbb3306a.JPG

Again, I chose a windy day to minimise pissing off the neighbours.

and that, hopefully, is the dirty part of the build over with :)