gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - unlowering the green machine

gm

Just now, gm said:

Form an orderly queue :) 

Although the prospect of bringing this three hours north to Knockhill is a little daunting - might need to buy a ski suit !

The Locost is great* fun on long journeys. I think the furthest i drove it was Lanark which is 50 miles each way, and you end up in Lanark at the end of the journey ?

I was knackered after that! Much more fun to blat about the lanes near me!

10 minutes ago, dome said:

The Locost is great* fun on long journeys. I think the furthest i drove it was Lanark which is 50 miles each way, and you end up in Lanark at the end of the journey ?

The A70 is a cracking bit of road up to carnworth, I used to drive that a lot when I lived in Balerno. Lanark mightn't be the best but New Lanark is worth a visit, there's a nice 6mile trail run along the river banks that I did a few times, quite hilly but lots of mud :) 

1 minute ago, loserone said:

I've driven it and it's a bit hard core for me, it's brilliant but my spine would not take it.  Also, I'd need much more money than I have.

Hardcore ? What do you mean, man ? It's got a radio :) 

Cheers, I'll do a proper ad later on but I'd love it to stay in the AS fold - if the bucket seats are a concern, there's a pair of standard ones I could refit for the next lucky owner 

6 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

you need a volvo and trailer now, trailer the kitcar to location of hoonage with plenty of bits in the back, go and enjoy hoonage, have a well earned snooze in back of volvo, tow car home

And if your sporty car doesn't want to play, do the track day in the Volvo. (That was one of the funniest things I ever saw at Prescott hillclimb, where the trailered car wouldn't run properly, so to get his points the chap went up in his Volvo estate, tow car)

5 hours ago, gm said:

The A70 is a cracking bit of road up to carnworth, I used to drive that a lot when I lived in Balerno. Lanark mightn't be the best but New Lanark is worth a visit, there's a nice 6mile trail run along the river banks that I did a few times, quite hilly but lots of mud :) 

The A721 from Carnwath through Elsrickle to Peebles and beyond is a great bit of road.

Congratulations on the kit!

1 hour ago, dc2100k said:

The A721 from Carnwath through Elsrickle to Peebles and beyond is a great bit of road.

Never better than in my e34 M5 on the way to Peebles for some biking. That thing was a monster, in the best possible way ?

18 hours ago, gm said:

and today's news is..............

Big Excite - I've just paid the deposit for my very own Exocet kit !!1!!!!11111!!!!!

time to get stuck into those subframes and have everything ready for when it arrives :) 

I think I'll post another pic of that black one, just for the hell of it 

IMG_2364.JPG.bfda47659716f9a7e12899dcaee7b0c7.JPG

Sorry if I've missed this earlier in the thread man, but what kind of wait are you preparing for between ordering the kit and delivery?

17 hours ago, gm said:

Sounds like one of those magazines you see advertised on telly, compete in only a hundred issues ! 

With this one, you just hire a van and collect everything at once, there's not much you can do without the frame other than what I'm already cracking on with. 

Twelve weeks ! It's going to be agony waiting that long. At least I should have everything ready to bolt on when i do collect it.

3 months by the look of it.

Where does it need collecting from? Would it fit in my custom? I could give you a hand.

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Do you still have the doors from your donor? My drivers side one is very rusty.

I’m still tripping over them in my spare room :) fit both and pretend black doors on a silver car is a design choice 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

3 months by the look of it.

Where does it need collecting from? Would it fit in my custom? I could give you a hand.

I suspect they have had trouble with folk bringing the wrong size of vans judging by this post on their forum

Let's start with the kit dimensions. 2950 mm long and 1360 mm wide.

The width and height is no problem for any van but lengths are shown below.

Ford Transit LWB 3494 mm.

Merc Sprinter MWB 3364 mm.

Renault Master MWB 3083 mm.

Vauxhall Movano MWB 3083 mm.

Peugeot Boxer L2H2 3120 mm.

Citroen Relay L2H2 3120 mm.

Fiat Ducato MWB 3120 mm.

VW Crafter MWB 3265 mm.

Please check the above dimensions with your hire company before booking and advise if any of the above is incorrect

1 hour ago, Jim Bell said:

Sorry if I've missed this earlier in the thread man, but what kind of wait are you preparing for between ordering the kit and delivery?

Anything up to twelve weeks, normally eight but their suppliers have been shut during lockdown. Will give me time to get organised :) 

54 minutes ago, gm said:

Anything up to twelve weeks, normally eight but their suppliers have been shut during lockdown. Will give me time to get organised :) 

Yes, but probably best leave it all till the last minute just for the adrenaline rush panic at the end. 

19 hours ago, dome said:

???????️?️

29OFFS3.jpg

:P

I suspect they have had trouble with folk bringing the wrong size of vans judging by this post on their forum
Let's start with the kit dimensions. 2950 mm long and 1360 mm wide.
The width and height is no problem for any van but lengths are shown below.
Ford Transit LWB 3494 mm.
Merc Sprinter MWB 3364 mm.
Renault Master MWB 3083 mm.
Vauxhall Movano MWB 3083 mm.
Peugeot Boxer L2H2 3120 mm.
Citroen Relay L2H2 3120 mm.
Fiat Ducato MWB 3120 mm.
VW Crafter MWB 3265 mm.
Please check the above dimensions with your hire company before booking and advise if any of the above is incorrect

It has a good quality roof rack

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk