gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - look who’s back

gm

How I checked if I had a LSD on mine was jack up both back wheels, press the brake pedal and clamp off one of the brake flexys so that brake is locked on, start the engine clutch down engage first gear and slowly release the clutch pedal, if the engine stalls then you have a LSD, if the engine keeps running and one wheels turns then you don't. 

52 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Is there a way to tell the diff is an lsd by looking at it? 

The one on mine looks to have cooling fins, unless they were all like that.

as your's is a 1.6 it will have either an open diff or a viscous limited slip diff - to see if you have the v-lsd, jack up the back end and with the handbrake off and in neutral, turn one wheel, the other side should turn the same way, now put it in gear and do the same, the whelks should turn in opposite directions. 

or go do a burnout - open diff will leave a number 1, lsd will leave number 11 :) 

On 6/9/2020 at 5:03 PM, gm said:

as your's is a 1.6 it will have either an open diff or a viscous limited slip diff - to see if you have the v-lsd, jack up the back end and with the handbrake off and in neutral, turn one wheel, the other side should turn the same way, now put it in gear and do the same, the whelks should turn in opposite directions. 

or go do a burnout - open diff will leave a number 1, lsd will leave number 11 :) 

You'll know if it's a VLSD as it'll feel weird and change how fast/if it even locks up at all depending on the weather, temperature and how it feels. They really aren't very good in my experience - haha.

Type 1 Torsens are a fair bit snappier than Type 2's that'll stay locked for a tiny bit after you stop giving it the beans - Type 2's are generally the preferred ones. Import 1.8 MK1's generally came with Type 1 Torsens. MK2's with Type 2 Torsens, MK2.5 with the Togichi Fuji LSD which likes to eat itself alive.

These will help:

https://www.miata.net/garage/diffguide/

https://www.beavismotorsport.com/guides-tech/differential-guide-for-miata-mx5/

Also - just give it some revs and dump the clutch - then you'll know if it's open or not at least!

Also - if anyone has a Eunos rear plate panel - I'll most likely buy it!

no Mazda news for a few days as i'v been busy painting the spare room - such fun 

but I'm back onto it now. I took a drive down to see the "mazdadudes" in Darlington and picked up parts to replace the ones I butchered with the grinder last week

https://mazdadudes.business.site

one offside hub and long bolt purchased

IMG_2384.thumb.JPG.87d1820abe3c8aab2ddb50b4cc039273.JPG

arriving home, I parked my mx5 outside, flung a dust sheet over the nice clean engine and set about the wishbones with the wire wheel

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.e7634a38f378cf4f1313a0f98a7a1cec.JPG

what a horrible job, but the results aren't too shabby

IMG_2388.thumb.JPG.7e3cc4263477f0939b64c97c9eb82038.JPG

I've saved the worst until last - the rear subframe is huge and rusty as fook - that can wait until tomorrow :( 

what paint would be suitable for this lot ? something like Hammerite ? suggestions please, folks 

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

Have you a blow torch? I have a few spares.

Could I borrow one for a couple of days, please ?

I was going to buy one but the cheap ones all get crappy reviews and I’d rather be  spending my budget on parts for the damn thing :) 

12 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

Goes straight on.

Once dry it is tough as old boots. I bought it because it was from a proper welding place.

I bought some because snaggle used it in one of his threads and I'd seen it mentioned on  a landrover YouTube channel.

Goes really far, dries very quick! 

Ordering more soon to paint a chassis.

Brilliant, thankyou. Do I just go to screwfix for gas bottles ? 
I did think there was a torch in my dads garage but I can’t find it, maybe he loaded it out and it never came back :( 

Just now, Andyrew said:

I just drill old bushings out, clamp in the vice and drill a series of holes into the bush around it then Push the centre out. If the bush has an outter sleeve I feed the blade of a hacksaw through. Connect it up and cut a slit into the sleeve and knock it out. 

No smoke, no fumes.

I hadn't thought of that option - could be worth a try ?

6 minutes ago, paulplom said:

You'll want a decent face mask. I can't imagine burning old rubber will do your lungs any good.

One gas bottle will last you no problem. I get a year plus out of them.

sounds like a plan, are you around later on this afternoon ? I'll nip through and pick it up if convenient