gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - unlowering the green machine

gm

50 minutes ago, bigfella2 said:

Don't discount the MK Indy too, very similar to the GBS zero, I don't know how it compares cost wise, as it gets complicated when you look at the different options.

I've not heard of that one, more research required :) 

1 minute ago, gm said:

leave the wallet at home and keep the beer intake to a minimum ? :) 

Ha! Not just that, more be very careful what you buy, there's no consistency in kit cars and the fundamental design of some is downright dangerous. 

Have a look at this mag - https://completekitcar.co.uk/ Owned by a mate. You'll find some inspiration in there. 

59 minutes ago, New POD said:

The exocet is a kind of poormans atom. 

It needs a turbo nutter engine to pull off the looks though.  Our 93 bhp 1.6 Monza, ain't going to cut it as a viable donor. 

I'll concentrate on getting it built first, at half the weight of the original it should still go like stink with the tiddly little 1.6 engine.

for all the time I've been mucking around with 5s, I've resisted the temptation to go turbo or supercharged as they change the character of the car, I like that you can drive it at 10/10ths and squeeze every last drop of performance out of it. easy to fit after the build if I do decide to go that way though.

Just now, gm said:

Roll bar - yes, coil overs - possibly, you might need mk2 top mounts 

nice, i might stick a bid in if it stays low. I'll have a read around, see if the coilovers will fit, he's pretty much round the corner. 

just a couple of hours pottering this afternoon, I chopped the vin plate off the shell and removed all of the brake and fuel pipes. I won't be using the angry grinder to chop the shell as it consumed most of a new disc just to cut the vin :( time to invest in a reciprocating saw, me thinks.

power steering pump off, alternator off, remains of loom off

IMG_2118.thumb.JPG.4fd1121c9976001c176bc986126df38f.JPG 

suspension bolts all dowsed with plus-gas in preparation for strip down tomorrow. one broken rear spring will need replaced if I re-use the current (mk2) suspension. I noticed upgraded anti-roll bars front and rear with fancy droplinks, someone cared for this car once upon a time :) 

soundtrack from The Stranglers today - some* of their lyrics might not have been suitable for working with the door open but it wasn't too loud 

I've always said the mx5 would be a great basis for a kit car. The front and rear sub-assemblies look almost made for donation.

I use to set the suspension.and alignment on these regularly. -1 1/2 camber all round, max castor and a smidge of toe in rear - total weapon.

MX5... MX5... think I might have one of those... 

*goes to check* 

B3EF6430-1405-49DF-AD76-72F9196244BB.jpeg

Yep still there... hasn’t moved in months. Do need to get around to doing something with it. Currently sat in the corner of the drive on a space saver after one of the tyres developed severe recurrent flatness issues!! (Amongst many other things which need attention!) 

Your project idea looks amazing and I look forward to reading about it! 

Excellent work sir! I'd be biased and say go for a seven type car, the Atomalikes don't quite do it for me. But, that's the beauty of a kit, you get to decide what you want to build and do it your way!

Me, I went with the already built locost and I'm glad I did. Took me a week to decide on the shape of the new dash I made for it, imagine how long it'd take me to build a whole bloody car!

cheers everyone for all of the positive comments :) @brownnova you should be ashamed of yourself, poor little mazda left all neglected in the corner there  - watch out, I might come and nick it for parts !

tonights minor progress : I started to break down the rear subframe, but hit upon a very stuck 'long bolt' on the lower o/s wishbone - it's a bit too late to be belting things with mallets and breaking out the windy gun so it can wait for tomorrow. 

IMG_2123.thumb.JPG.35e437e19adafc1ef98ae463587d0b3f.JPG

I decided I had better get organised while I tear the poor thing apart

snacky bags !

IMG_2119.thumb.JPG.a87ec94d38b7823cb06f2cfb62cfc61f.JPG

IMG_2120.thumb.JPG.6f648fcb526089a4d2dd792d205c8c7a.JPG

this lot is from the shell but may come in handy later on at some stage

IMG_2121.thumb.JPG.9bc14a39d71a5fbc1f44ca5853fba91b.JPG

not much more to report, cheers all :) 

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

MX5... MX5... think I might have one of those... 

*goes to check* 

B3EF6430-1405-49DF-AD76-72F9196244BB.jpeg

Yep still there... hasn’t moved in months. Do need to get around to doing something with it. Currently sat in the corner of the drive on a space saver after one of the tyres developed severe recurrent flatness issues!! (Amongst many other things which need attention!) 

Your project idea looks amazing and I look forward to reading about it! 

I’m afraid this one hasn’t moved much this year either, mind you it’s alternator is currently on my other one which is awaiting repatriation up north from chez Bucketeer once things settle down on the travelling front.

F5A48AB0-9EAA-4298-BBB8-784AD85BAF86.thumb.jpeg.fdb8d4fe2ad4ab5426e0130420100f4f.jpeg

the car is starting to fight back - the wishbone longbolt is properly seized in the bush so will need cutting free and a new wishbone sourcing - not the end of the world but annoying. the diff was a stubborn bugger to shift too, a lot of persuasion needed to get that off the frame. time for a break before I start to lose enthusiasm :) 

IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.0affd51c09dbcd89ee6c9e087dae36c4.JPG

i had a bit of a tidy up as I was getting pissed off tripping over stuff everywhere - look at all that space now :) 

IMG_2142.thumb.JPG.730cdcefd579966ad8d3e1f4cddb8c50.JPG

not much left now 

IMG_2140.thumb.JPG.fee8b0a895f74b933c98ade504814940.JPG

tomorrows job is to wheel that lot outside and give it a good clean up - apparently mr muscle oven cleaner is good for shifting baked on oil and gunk - I'll give it a go and report back 

IMG_2141.thumb.JPG.eb7ac15ff01283ce45f50a173062156c.JPG

I'm back in two minds as to which kit to build now - the GBSzero uses fewer mazda components than the Exocet which means less hassle cleaning and painting the subframes, it is a little more expensive but not by much. I shall have a few beers and a good think about it (any excuse for a beer, really) :)