For your enjoyment, HOT Cougar action!

Dabooka

Mind testing one round knockhill, thought being a capri replacement it would be rwd or 4wd using jag x type gear... Into hairpin kicked out tail, fucking fucker is fwd. Gravel trap, kerp it out the barrier, photographer throws himself over barrier, dropped to 2nd and booted it and she held, grass and gravel everywhere, new paint stonechipped to fuck but unlike a girl who rolled a puma no damage... How to impress your new gaffer as o had just started with ford and this was product knowledge.. Did cooling down lap and into pits

• 2 weeks later...

I've been digging out a couple of pics from when I first got the car and thought I'd pop them up.

Firstly, and bear in mind this was being prep'd for a Banger Rally to Monaco, a decent service was called for.  Oil, filters, brake fluid (which was brown!), and a good collant flush. Even removed the tank and removed all the solidified sediment.  This car had wanted for nothing* remember.

I stopped short of popping it through the dishwasher, but the tank came up a treat.

8932975805751643364.jpg.2459ae62b22cb4178f34db6b656cd51c.jpg

My mate hard at work....

Service.thumb.jpg.8b3b07c2e3ee505b4ea9542827666da9.jpg

I'd also scored for a set of wheels (Cougar alloys) and better rubber from the owners forum which helped with the ride and noise and I decided to PlastiKote these prior to fitting ahead of the decor. (I'll post that up later).  These are still fitted now and I kept two of the orginals as spares with the scabby ones going the journey.

94410064615615509.jpg.188a1230c9d7c639e7054ff54d1ae086.jpg

We also checked over the brakes as the handbrake in particular was, er, shite.  Turns out one of the rear calipers had a slight* issue with the seal. If you look carefully you may see the problem. 

2007256796_FUBARdcaliper.thumb.jpg.60216ffe30dd355359061bb8e845d7df.jpg

How it got passed an MOT I will never know and to this day I'm convinced the garage just wanted shot of it.  They knew I lived miles away, it was going on a rally and they probably figured that'd be last time it got near a testers. Thankfully the forum came good again and I got a couple or passable spares sent up and swapped over. We'll revisit these later at some point.

Oh, one other thing. I swapped the aux and water pump belts as they were well past it.  The aux belt was really quite shagged but for a few quid and an few minutes it was an easy fix.  I have a pic somewhere of the aux belt, but the water pump one below gives you an idea and although I'm sure you've probably seen worse it was pretty bad in my eyes.

Belt.jpg.ed0dfd153b4e056dec0bc762489bac3b.jpg

Next time it's upgrades* and enhancements*.

• 1 year later...

Well I've decided to start making some plans to progress with the Cougar after noting for a little under two years.  After visiting it the other week the battery, unsurprisingly, is deed and need replacing. All the tricks of trying to get it to hold a charge has failed and I couldn't get it it start even with my booster pack so that'll be ordered shortly.  I'm just glad it's still there albeit dusty.

202100665_IMG_20220123_120948409(1).thumb.jpg.a279fff8054e53ad25536f91b77bab2e.jpg

It's a small thing but today I dropped the spare subframe off at work to be fettled slightly by getting the ARB mounts to be beefed up a touch (they are known to fracture as Ford skimped on the welds). Hopefully it'll be the lecturer but it may be a student let loose on it! Also gave them a rear strut where the pinch bolt had sheered when I was trying to remove the shock. That'll give them a good challenge to entertain them a while. 😛 

IMG_20220206_153524450.thumb.jpg.3ff27876b2732e9a42ef398198920fe7.jpgIMG_20220206_153535042.thumb.jpg.3f43e78b17a2f6f056facc75abc48edd.jpg

I'll probably pick them up next week and then get the subframe off to get galvanised before painting it up. I've decided against getting it powder coated at the same time as I am not sure it'll be durable enough to be under the car? Or am I being a bit over cautious (as it would be easier and more convenient to get them to do it). I was just going to lash it with chassis paint.

Cheers man.  They really get undue stick even by Ford fanbois.

I want to get it back on the road sometime this spring / early summer.  A combination of the 'vid, a house move and protracted home improvements* have meant I've done nothing on it,I figure I need to pull my finger out and get some small bits done that are off the car to give me some motivation.

• 3 weeks later...

Well today I picked up my subby after taking it in to work to have the slightly beefed up supports for the ARB;

IMG_20220316_180717957.jpg

Same on the other side. Next job to get it blasted and dipped, need to get a quote but hopefully not too expensive.

Also took one of the hubs in, I had managed to shear a pinch bolt. Got that sorted, removed the bushes as a bonus and, more importantly, the shock is perfectly fine too. That's a nice saving. Bearings and ABS rings also got a green light and look sorted.

IMG_20220316_180614180.jpg

Next job is to clean these up, take them back in and get new bushes inserted.

Not a bad day at all.

Well I went to see the old girl on Sunday armed with a brand new and fully charged battery.  Battery popped in connected, turned the key and...

....it still won't turn over. Balls.

Tried again and this time realised the fuel pump was not priming.  Checked fuse under the bonnet and looked fine, swapped the relay for a known good one (the horn) but still no joy.  Balls x2.

Plan is now to go down at the weekend remove the rear seat and see if the pump is getting power. Maybe hit it with a mallet or something.  I'll also remember to pack my Bluetooth OBD reader just in case.

Any ideas on anything else to try?  Seems weird for it just to stop even after a couple of years of no use is it not?  Do these seize up?

TIA

Very possible. 

Or pumps can go bad after being put back into use after a while. Depends on a few factors. 

I'd personally try a little spray penetrating oil down it if you can get the filter sock off. Then test it with power after a gentle tap. But I wouldn't trust too much after. For only to be on the safe side. 

But you'll suss it out I'm sure. It's been good reading your progress anyway 👍

• 10 months later...

Well yesterday I found myself with a spare hour and thought I’d get down to the Cougar and set about getting this fuel pump out.  So cordless grinder in hand a mate and I set about cutting a wider access beneath the rear seat and got the pump out, got it home and checked it over. Yes it’s knackered.  Probably just as well as the return locking cap shattered when we removed it.

EB3B88EA-0661-4820-A370-6B3259B74DD4.thumb.jpeg.fd1e482359969b16cc02e5a7e79aa554.jpeg

Now to source one, I do have one somewhere but can’t find it and TBF I’d rather go new if possible for this,

271AF679-C709-4F07-8B3D-31B04C5D7291.jpeg

550061DF-665C-4255-BBE9-A391DC2404BD.jpeg

22 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

Everyone loves a Cougar... 

In all seriousness, me likey your motor car sir. Keep up the good work. 

Just getting to sit in it again brought a huge smile to my face.Not the quickest, or most nimble, or comfortable and certainly not the most practical, but it’s a lovely way to cruise and soak up the miles.

I’m determined to get it on my drive so I can start chipping away.  We know what it’s like having a car in a lockup somewhere, makes it impossible to really make any progress