van engine belgian/swedish banger - tuning box fitted

Lacquer Peel

I love these! My first Volvo, 9 years ago now was an S70 TDI. I put it through a hedge backwards on my commute one morning, learning in a couple of seconds why the Wanlis it came with on the back wheels were called ditchfinders. It held up well, taking out about a dozen well buried fence posts with one of the rear doors, which still opened and closed perfectly.

I've had much more modern Volvos since (and some older ones, maybe 25 in total) but I do love the old TDI lump. The last one I had, I should have kept. It's still posted about on these pages though! 

9 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Top tips, thanks. 

I hope I don't have to take the hub off again,it should be easier now however. 

The ABS sensor bolt looks like it's rusted into the hub, I don't look forward to trying to remove it. I bought a newish looking sensor from U Pull It, from the same C70 convertible I got the cupholders from but it's a different type.

The hubs changed in I think 1998 around the time the engine management changed etc.

I found that out when I sold a hub from a 1998 V70 to someone with a 1998 V70, and he played hell that I sold him a pup. I'd have been apologetic if I hadn't charged him £10 and delivered it by hand. ?

15 minutes ago, warninglight said:

I love these! My first Volvo, 9 years ago now was an S70 TDI. I put it through a hedge backwards on my commute one morning, learning in a couple of seconds why the Wanlis it came with on the back wheels were called ditchfinders. It held up well, taking out about a dozen well buried fence posts with one of the rear doors, which still opened and closed perfectly.

I've had much more modern Volvos since (and some older ones, maybe 25 in total) but I do love the old TDI lump. The last one I had, I should have kept. It's still posted about on these pages though! 

I'd kind of like an S60 D5 or S40/V50 D5. Should I hang on to this instead?

I sold my 2005 S60 D5 with 160k to buy my 1997 V70 TDI with 230k(?) and had no regrets at the time. The S60 is still a great car and 100% Volvo, but there's something about the older ones which I really like! 

Having said that I'm currently driving a 2013 S60 D3 daily. Same power as your S70 but £30 to tax. For all that, on a long, gentle run, it doesn't outdo the old TDI on economy. On a Cumbria-London-Cumbria run in my V70 a few years back, doing the return leg with the contents of my girlfriends student flat, it did an actual 60mpg (indicated 67 on the dash). I would really struggle to better that in the S60, not to mention it wouldn't have carried that lot!

ex vag mechanic chiming in.i worked with a master tech years ago that would set the pump timing whilst running, then plug the laptop in, and it would be bang on. guy was a genius. ended up working for vw oz. he knew the setting for a bit more fuel aswell. did a caravelle that was running like shit, i had a thrash after and it was bloody rapid.

8 hours ago, warninglight said:

I sold my 2005 S60 D5 with 160k to buy my 1997 V70 TDI with 230k(?) and had no regrets at the time. The S60 is still a great car and 100% Volvo, but there's something about the older ones which I really like! 

Having said that I'm currently driving a 2013 S60 D3 daily. Same power as your S70 but £30 to tax. For all that, on a long, gentle run, it doesn't outdo the old TDI on economy. On a Cumbria-London-Cumbria run in my V70 a few years back, doing the return leg with the contents of my girlfriends student flat, it did an actual 60mpg (indicated 67 on the dash). I would really struggle to better that in the S60, not to mention it wouldn't have carried that lot!

Frankly I'm a bit of a car luddite but I don't suppose it can go on forever. I like the comfort of the Volvo and its mostly mechanical engine that I can fix myself. 

2 hours ago, sloth said:

ex vag mechanic chiming in.i worked with a master tech years ago that would set the pump timing whilst running, then plug the laptop in, and it would be bang on. guy was a genius. ended up working for vw oz. he knew the setting for a bit more fuel aswell. did a caravelle that was running like shit, i had a thrash after and it was bloody rapid.

Aye it has dynamic pump timing, I am not sure mine is 100% right as I don't think most garages have the Volvo software but it goes well enough and the MPG readout is almost bob on unlike the VAG ones which tell you you're covering 15 more MPG than reality. The 0-60 time below is only .3s off the Parkers figure. 

Screenshot_20200615-195144.png

• 1 month later...

How does one improve faded 23 year old black metallic paint?

In other news I replaced a <10k mile wheel bearing because it was getting noisy. The hub nut was ridiculously tight after I paid a garage to do the CV boot, did that kill it?

I did a gentle tank and it managed 54MPG brim to brim calculated (the readout is close). Not bad for rattly old relatively heavy diesel car. 

IMG_20200917_094057.jpg

This does look great. I've recently gained a great appreciation for the boxy old Volvos, they are so comfortable as well. I've been finding my C70 like a mobile sofa and fairly easy to work on but it does like a good drink.

I didn't know these came with this flavour of engine, I may have to keep my eyes open for one as I'm partial to a clattery diesel saloon but still kind of addicted the boxy sofa like qualities of late 90s Volvos.

9 hours ago, juular said:

This does look great. I've recently gained a great appreciation for the boxy old Volvos, they are so comfortable as well. I've been finding my C70 like a mobile sofa and fairly easy to work on but it does like a good drink.

I didn't know these came with this flavour of engine, I may have to keep my eyes open for one as I'm partial to a clattery diesel saloon but still kind of addicted the boxy sofa like qualities of late 90s Volvos.

I'd like to check out your C70, you're in Falkirk right? I'm next door in Grangemouth. 

The diesels are relatively rare, usually have a billion miles and have been driven into the ground. 

12 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

How does one improve faded 23 year old black metallic paint?

In other news I replaced a <10k mile wheel bearing because it was getting noisy. The hub nut was ridiculously tight after I paid a garage to do the CV boot, did that kill it?

I did a gentle tank and it managed 54MPG brim to brim calculated (the readout is close). Not bad for rattly old relatively heavy diesel car. 

IMG_20200917_094057.jpg

A good machine polish made my black 75 look shiny again. I could probably have gone further and got rid of the road rash on the lower doors but it looked good enough for me!

Happy to assist as you're just down the road from me!

• 3 weeks later...

The van engine belgian/swedish banger has misbehaved. 

Its nearside shock absorber lost all of its oil and became quite unsettling to drive, shuddering and shaking over every bump.

@sdkrc kindly offered his Car of the Future as a loaner while I sorted it out. 

@juular helped to remove the bad strut and kindly lent tools. 

Once the strut was off it was clear to see it was fucked, big time. I wonder how long it's been ropey because driving around roundabouts it kind of felt like the front wheels were shifting about. 

It's almost back together now but I had to sacrifice the anti roll bar drop links in the process so I'm waiting for them.

PXL_20201004_155917165.jpg

PXL_20201009_162351657.jpg

PXL_20201005_210753402.MP.jpg

PXL_20201008_181843996.jpg

15 minutes ago, reb said:

What else have you got in that box of goodies? I renewed the front suspension on my 850 with bits from Polar Parts last year, they seem decent quality and very reasonable prices!

It's good to hear the parts are okay, after I bought them I found mixed reviews. The big box of goodies contained two shock absorbers, bump stops (for an Opel, old ones reused), gaiters, spring mounts and top mounts. 

• Lacquer Peel changed the title to van engine belgian/swedish banger - shocking
  • Lacquer Peel changed the title to van engine belgian/swedish banger - check your TREs

It lives! Two struts, a wishbone (cursed balljoint that is integral with the wishbone), track rod ends and anti roll bar links later

I drove it into a kerb earlier this year in the snow, I didn't think it did much damage...

Changing the wishbone is a right pain in the arse, it's the four bolt type with bolts running through the subframe to threads in the bushes, you have to loosen engine/gearbox mounts and jack up the engine to access the rear two bolts, and also move the hub out of the way so you can line those threads up with the bolts. It's a three handed job. 

I took the scenic route north to test it and it drives so much better now, the steering is more responsive and smooth, it doesn't wallow and wobble over bumps, just a much more stable and comfortable car. 

However it feels like there's a bit of bump steer, could that be caused by the tracking which is a bit off? I also fitted a Rovelo tyre in haste and it seems to be made from teflon. 

PXL_20201020_125443323.jpg

PXL_20201020_125405931.jpg

PXL_20201017_075643242.jpg

PXL_20201019_122347613.jpg

PXL_20201019_184714029.MP.jpg

On 5/13/2020 at 12:56 PM, scdan4 said:

Pep it up for free by smashing the cat out and blanking the egr.

Ronbox ace but iirc they don’t sell them new anymore.

Pump timing very important, but a bit of a cunt to do.

@Jifflemon  you wouldn’t happen to still have vol-for would you? 

Love mine. 

Eta new suspenders has transformed the ride on mine. Still not plush mind, but plenty good enough.

Ronbox are still available new, they sell them on ebay, contacted the guy about one for a diesel panda but I wound up not bothering in the end as i read things about the clutch not really being rated for more than the paltry power it was already producing. That was back in june-ish. Late with that tidbit of information, but just thought it was worth noting.

The volvo looks lovely, big boxy and in the right colour! plus a diesel so not bank breaking every fuel up.

Love mine. 

Eta new suspenders has transformed the ride on mine. Still not plush mind, but plenty good enough.

Ronbox are still available new, they sell them on ebay, contacted the guy about one for a diesel panda but I wound up not bothering in the end as i read things about the clutch not really being rated for more than the paltry power it was already producing. That was back in june-ish. Late with that tidbit of information, but just thought it was worth noting.

The volvo looks lovely, big boxy and in the right colour! plus a diesel so not bank breaking every fuel up.

Love mine. 

On 8/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, Lacquer Peel said:

Frankly I'm a bit of a car luddite but I don't suppose it can go on forever. I like the comfort of the Volvo and its mostly mechanical engine that I can fix myself. 

Aye it has dynamic pump timing, I am not sure mine is 100% right as I don't think most garages have the Volvo software but it goes well enough and the MPG readout is almost bob on unlike the VAG ones which tell you you're covering 15 more MPG than reality. The 0-60 time below is only .3s off the Parkers figure. 

Screenshot_20200615-195144.png

What software is that you're using?

• 2 weeks later...

MOT fail!

Not the end of the world like, it'll go in for a retest in the morning after my nightshift.

I took it to ATS as I booked it when I was skint, they were doing MOTs for £18 through Groupon. I was a bit worried that they'd fish for work, and they did adjust the headlights for £18. It was a fair test though and the indicators were indeed flashing white rather than amber. 

@davehedgehog31 gave me a heads up about a similar black S70 at U Pull It, mine deserves a freshen up in some areas (faulty headlight wiper, scraped side skirt, etc.) so it'll get some new bits this week hopefully. 

Screenshot_20201103-235544~2.png

My 850 has the same D5252t engine, and is no slouch, so I would certainly get the pump timing checked (If you managed to get Vol-Fcr, do let me know)

You can set it up static with a DTI gauge, mag-base and a suitable insert into the ass of the pump (if i remember correctly) ... but do note to put everything on timing marks, as you could set it up 180 degrees out.

If you're interested in further 'pep',  there is a gent who used to (may still do) remap these, just means popping the ECU out, soldering in a socket for a new chip, and some laptop magic (all of which he does)

If you ever see a MAF going cheap - Grab it ! , as they are obsolete now (happily pay you ££ for a spare)

Also listen out for a ticking, that disappears when you press / pump the brake pedal, this means the Vacuum Pump needs changing ASAP !!!, as they seize up and wipe out the camshaft.

I have seen chips on eBay for £50 and @juular's other half may be able to fit them for me. Really tempted! 

Mine is no slouch either, it shifts well so I assume the pump timing is fine. The belts are fairly recent. 

I changed the brake vacuum pump pushrod and checked the pump, it seems fine. Mine is a bit tappy but I think it's the hydraulic tappets.

• 3 months later...

This car has been going well, except for a ball joint that showed lots of play only a few months after being fitted. Unfortunately it's integral with the control arm and these "4 bolt" control arms are a pain in the arse to remove, you have to jack the engine up to allow just enough access. Full refund for the faulty part though, fair play. 

I drove it for a lockdown compliant trip to see my family and it averaged 58MPG. I was taking it pretty easy but going quicker than the lorries. The readout is very accurate unlike VAG ones.

It was also quite good in the cold weather, with its heated velour. I did reduce the tyre pressures to help it through the deep snow we saw here. 

I treated it to a tuning box and the results are quite impressive. 

Initially it was slower with the box fitted but playing with the settings resulted in a 0-60mph time of 7.8s down from between 9.1s and 9.6s as standard. I could make it go quicker but this seems fine to me - minimal visible smoke, and it feels much punchier overall. 

PXL_20210216_151315815.jpg

PXL_20210209_094514119.jpg

• Lacquer Peel changed the title to van engine belgian/swedish banger - tuning box fitted