Judge my Convertibles!!!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

apart from sic everyones dissed the beemer

Because it appears to many on here to diss performance Bimmers because of that badge. Despite them being extremely competent machines and with a lot of history of making very good performance stuff. 

1.      1970 Triumph Vitesse

2.     1996 BMW M3 Evo – 

3.    1994 Mazda MX5 1.8i

4.     1999 Mercedes CLK 320

5.     2002 Chrysler Sebring 2002

6.    2002 Peugeot 306 1.8 16v

Says a lot about how undesirable I find the Peugeot and the Chrysler that I put a Mercedes in 3rd place. Chrysler were not quality products when I worked at their dealership, no disrespect to you or your vehicles. I have never owned a cabrio, an itch I wish to scratch one day.

29 minutes ago, SiC said:

Because it appears to many on here to diss performance Bimmers because of that badge. Despite them being extremely competent machines and with a lot of history of making very good performance stuff. 

Not me Si. I've had a lot of German stuff and it's been peerless. Tbf so has my French and Italian stuff too. Still on a 22 Ur old golf and a 17 yr old bmw as daily drivers. No problem to em whatsoever. It's a bit trendy to knock the Germans. Probably their own worst enemy though through pushing their products as better engineered than others. That hasn't been true for donkeys years. Still good cars though

50 minutes ago, New POD said:

Can I ask why and how you ended up with so many convertibles. ? 

We have around 30 cars in running order so 6 of those being convertible is not so many?

Mrs6C likes cars and so the usual limits does not apply and sometimes she will insist we add a particular car to the collection. There is no plan it just evolves.

Each car in our collection has its own story, we both will buy something we like. Then occasionally I can’t resist a bargain to experience and sell on. Trouble is sometimes I keep the car and the M3 is a case in point and I have now had it 6 ½ years.

49 minutes ago, SiC said:

Agreed.

I didn’t diss the BMW, I put it second.  I rate E36 2-doors highly (I can’t get past the dull styling of the 4-doors). I’ve not driven an M3, but the E36 328i is a peach of an engine.

I was disappointed with my 428i Gran Coupe. Competent, very quick and it handles, but lacking in charm, and the ride is harsh. But that’s experience, not the badge.

12 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Still broken and marooned in Scotland.

When we are allowed out again I'm more than happy to assist in retrieving it. 

The only problem I have with the MX-5 is having owned a Cappuccino.  It just feels bloated, and the engine is lacking compared to the howling three pot in the Cappo.  It's been a long time though, so my memory might be a bit jaded!  The only area the Cappo lacks a bit is space, it's a tiny car and it shows.  The only car I know where putting your seatbelt on has to be done before you close the door or you can't reach it.

In the real world if I had to pick one and only one it would probably be the 306.

Fantastic looks which are only getting better with each passing year, comfy, competent and still more than capable of putting a smile on your face on a good road.

Never driven a Sebring so don't feel I can comment on that - though generally the yanks are pretty good at making earth comfy barges...so wouldn't be surprised if I were to rank it highly if I knew it.  Likewise I've no personal experience with a Vitesse.

Ones I'd add to the list:

[] Morgan 3-Wheeler.  The new one from a few years ago.  It's just bonkers and I love it.

[] TVR Chimera.  A car you need to take by the scruff of the neck and show who's boss, but fantastic fun once you've come to an agreement with it.

[] Fiat Punto Mk I.  In yellow please.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

When we are allowed out again I'm more than happy to assist in retrieving it. 

I did originally have an offer to get it further South so we will see what to do when it is fit to drive. I have nearly gathered all the parts now including a drop gear coupling from France.

I also have the Rover 216 SLi Auto to collect from Tavistock when we can travel.

As my feelings about the 306 are well documented, I guess I don't get a vote ?

I wonder whether I just don't like soft top cars, not sure I've got the balls to try again. 

It's telling about my sanity when I prefer the driving experience of a 209,000 mile Rover over most things though... 

1: Mercedes - To me convertibles should be all about gentle wafting appreciating the scenery, not driving like your trousers are on fire.

2: Sebring - Is this the one you bought from Alan in Glasgow?

3: MX5 - Fun but a bit small for me.

4: BMW - Perversely I'd have scored it higher if it was a 320/325 auto. See first comment.

5: Puggy - Looks lovely but I can't get the memory of that 5th Gear crash test out of my head.

6: Triumph. - Not by bag at all, sorry.

51 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

2: Sebring - Is this the one you bought from Alan in Glasgow?

4: BMW - Perversely I'd have scored it higher if it was a 320/325 auto. See first comment.

Yes the Sebring was bought from Alan with the help of @320touring. When I got it the immobiliser had started to play up and he supplied a replacement immobiliser and ignition lock with the car unfitted. Nothing much has happened because of winter and now lockdown, I am just thinking out loud now but I would like to take it back to Alan and pay him to fit it. So maybe another trip would be fun and I will also have the Visa Cabriolet to collect from Edinburgh in due coarse. 

I also have a 1996 BMW 328i sport coupe manual and in some ways I prefer it to the M3. The 328s performance is much more in my abilities and therefore I can rag it and feel in control. Also parking the M3 is a worry both from getting stolen and car park damage, while the 328 is a bit tatty and I can just enjoy using it.

3 hours ago, HMC said:

How are each of these for scuttle shake? That would be a factor in my ranking as I really hate it. I found ALO the clk of yours to be pretty good in that respect.

M3 - a little scuttle shake but not bad

CLK - as you say pretty good

Vitesse - terrible, as has been said they are just a lose selection of parts flying in formation!

306 - ok

MX5 - very good

Sebring - not bad

The worst modernish car I have experienced was a 1995 Saab 900 Turbo convertible.

I bought a 205 CTi one summer from an auction in Letcworth, driving home, because I’m cool , I’d got the roof down and foolishly rested my hand on the top of the door where it meets the windscreen. I went over a bump and got a massive blood  blister on my finger, now that’s scuttle shake and flex!

3 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I bought a 205 CTi one summer from an auction in Letcworth, driving home, because I’m cool , I’d got the roof down and foolishly rested my hand on the top of the door where it meets the windscreen. I went over a bump and got a massive blood  blister on my finger, now that’s scuttle shake and flex!

Don't ever do that in a Skoda Rapid convertible.

I wound up with my thumb trapped between the door and windscreen pillar.

I'd love a Saab (Classic) 900 convertible, but just as with the later GM version they have the structural integrity of a wet noodle.  Half the thing about a proper Saab is that feeling of utter solidity...removing that makes the car feel most peculiar indeed I found.

10 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I did originally have an offer to get it further South so we will see what to do when it is fit to drive. I have nearly gathered all the parts now including a drop gear coupling from France.

I also have the Rover 216 SLi Auto to collect from Tavistock when we can travel.

Well just keep in mind I've got the van as well and don't mind tagging along as a mission support vehicle, parts hauler, with onboard coffee/tea making and in a pinch bathroom facilities.  For some missions that's probably more useful than others.

21 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I'd love a Saab (Classic) 900 convertible, but just as with the later GM version they have the structural integrity of a wet noodle.  Half the thing about a proper Saab is that feeling of utter solidity...removing that makes the car feel most peculiar indeed I found.

Well just keep in mind I've got the van as well and don't mind tagging along as a mission support vehicle, parts hauler, with onboard coffee/tea making and in a pinch bathroom facilities.  For some missions that's probably more useful than others.

My 1998 Saab 9-3 Turbo convertible did have some noticeable scuttle shake, but nothing like the 900 my friend had.

Thanks for the offer to help collect our cars scattered around the county, I will come up with a plan when we are free to travel again. I certainly don't fancy travelling by train at the moment. I just had to have stern words with myself about not needing a Triumph Toledo in Scotland!

P1210999 broad.jpg

I had a classic shape 900 ‘vert and can confirm it was the car the put floppy into floppytop. 

I love C900s but not the convertibles. Plus why someone, if they had to have one, would buy a t16 version with lower, stiffer springs which just makes the wobbly shell all the more obvious is beyond me.

6E982271-412A-4FF0-B474-BF58D368245E.thumb.png.5747cec651732b7b693db7ab8977b2cc.png
Soft tops- one bouncy, the other floppy

5 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

I have to admit, my forum bike 900 floppy did feel very loosely built.  Some May remember I subsequently had a 9-5 estate which felt much stronger.  I'd still have the 900 again though!

I enjoyed my 9-3 convertible, but unfortunately it ended up needing a clutch and I was being quoted over £600 and decided to sell it on.

Some years ago I had a 900 Turbo 3 door and loved that.

KIF_0460 broad.jpg