JYD's 1990 Mk2 Golf Gti.

junkyarddog

15 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

I'm not looking forward to refitting the stick on vinyl trim on the tailgate.

The fun and games of reassembling it all with out damage to the fresh paint will be fun too!

Very diluted baby shampoo in a spray bottle with a squeegy to get any air out and you'll be fine.

58 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

Very diluted baby shampoo in a spray bottle with a squeegy to get any air out and you'll be fine.

Won't that stop it sticking?

I don't want to mess it up as I waited ages for them to come into stock and they've sold out again already.

Not to mention the cost,was expensive for what it is.

17 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Won't that stop it sticking?

I don't want to mess it up as I waited ages for them to come into stock and they've sold out again already.

Not to mention the cost,was expensive for what it is.

It should evaporate and then stick in the same way vinyl wrap does and other automotive decals.  

Ask the vendor if they have any recommendations for application, the technique I've mentioned is basically the one we use for larger vinyl stuff and window tint film, and that sticks once the mix evaporates.

1 hour ago, junkyarddog said:

I don't know why Vivas aren't more popular, they are a compact light rwd car that are easy to modify If you want, decent enough steering and suspension too,nice enough styling,just an unfashionable brand and image I guess.

I've fancied one for a while.  There's one in ACAs up and coming classic auction with a dohc engine fitted

Weather has been a bit crap recently, started to get a few bits n pieces back on.

Weather is supposed to get cold and dry,so hopefully I'll get it waxoyled then.

20201029_162607.thumb.jpg.0971e2f0a401b4375af4b6a9fbf27e70.jpg

Tailgate semi rebuilt.

20201030_160113.thumb.jpg.736cd4d8f94b08d2e5980b7cacda9283.jpg

20201030_160136.thumb.jpg.8e493691e8beb3ff70ce535418ce85eb.jpg

Brand new door strikers fitted,from AliExpress!Tailgate has new LED number plate lights,came from there too.

20201030_160148.thumb.jpg.3cf321e6c3c88e9f63cabf5251519b15.jpg

All door locks are now fitted and doors lined up.

Still lots to do,but at least I'm finally at the stage of putting stuff back on.

24 minutes ago, spartacus said:

That's looking great, kudos to you for having the patience. It looks from the pics like it's going to be as good as, or better than new. Will it be a sunny day car or a daily driver?

Thanks,it's been trying at times.

Won't be a daily,but will see regular use.

I do have a 3 door GTI shell too,that I'm toying with the idea of building as a turbodiesel for daily duties,dunno if it'll happen yet.

I'm not a fan of German cars - VW's or BMWs's especially - but that looks totally fab!!! Regardless of your project car, this thread and those freshly painted shell pics are a sure-fire mojo boost to uplift us from this time of lockdownbexittrumpandarguablytheshitestmonthoftheshitestyearofalltime

Keep it coming @junkyarddog