Cento's fleet past and present au revoir Volvo, bonjour Shaguar, 924's, french shite, Xantia Activa 😎....

Cento16v

Having a V60 alongside the XF has made me question the Jag a bit.

Obviously it's a quick car, it'll keep up with a lot from 60-100, it's a great handling car, its a looker, but...its not a Volvo 😂

I love it, I'm not sure what to do, I think its too good which sounds weird. 

I think I'd instantly regret selling it as there's not another with the same spec or low mileage, most XFS' seem to be premium luxury, not many facelift Portfolios with heated/cooled seats, 1200w hifi, extended leather etcs, but, I'm not sure if its very me.

Maybe I need to play with it a bit, lower it, XFR bumper, bigger Turbo's maybe?

All my V60 service stuff is here so that's tommorows job, then it's off to Volvo the Saturday after for all the software updating and a seatbelt recall, ordered a 13-7 pin adapter for the towbar electrics and that should be happy for the next year then!

I love the shape of that generation of V60! Which engine is it, I didn't pick it up when reading the thread even if it does state it.

You now have two cars I would love, the Activa being the other one. I can't get excited about the Jag as there's something about the looks... I don't know sort of smug looking and also when I'm on my bike and one passes, I feel like I could be sucked into the grille bike an' all haha!

Please keep this going, I like!

Well, oddly I've been offered another Activa, that doesn't need a respray, but mechanically it's not as sound as mine.

Aaaaaaaaargh 😂

I think I'll keep mine, but I'm no painter, and will happily fix anything mechanical.

Hmmph 🤔

I also nearly swapped the XF for a V8 S80, but then common sense prevailed 😂

Full service on the V60 done last Saturday, new oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter and replaced the TMAP sensor and the TCV which are seemingly almost service items over 100k as well.

It pulls a lot better upto about 3800 - 4000 rpm now whereas before it died off at about 3200 rpm, seems to be, not a common problem, but a wear related issue.

It also sounds very 5 cylinder Volvo at higher revs, maybe a bit of Induction noise wouldn't go amiss...

Bought a set of fitted rear blinds and a set of Dynaudio speakers and amp for it.

Off into Volvo this Saturday for its seatbelts replacing as part of a recall and a software update to the ECM.

I may have also bought a R Design twin exhaust and yet another set of wheels for it, but don't tell the wife 😂

It's so shiny 🤩

• 2 weeks later...

V60 went for a recall and a software update. The software update turned into a Polestar upgrade 🤔🤣

I can't even find one offered for the D3 so I'm not sure what they've done, but I got a nice little badge and it certainly goes well, should be 203hp now and 440nm so not far off a D5 would be.

It certainly pulls better and sounds better somehow?

2 new Seatbelt anchors fitted as well and they even cleaned it for me!

Battery has died on the Activa, mainly as its been sat unused for over a month I'd guess, need to put some miles on it before MOT time in July, then decide what to do with the paint 🤔

XF hasn't been used that much, took it for a blast to make sure if it needed a regen it could do one, gave it a clean, birds thanked me for that by shiting all over it the day after 🙄

-r8n5gw.thumb.jpg.873ab60dad9c7b310330e5d460ca88bf.jpg

Think I need to order some sanding discs and upol primer and attack the Xantia now its getting warmer so I can see whats needed.

I believe the D3 when mapped by Volvo is D4 spec as software is the only difference. I Love the little blue Polestar badges, but it's not good value for my T5 compared to independant rolling road map which I'm thinking of doing...

I live near the sea so sea gulls aiming for my clean black car is a day to day hazard for me haha!

4 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

I believe the D3 when mapped by Volvo is D4 spec as software is the only difference. I Love the little blue Polestar badges, but it's not good value for my T5 compared to independant rolling road map which I'm thinking of doing...

I live near the sea so sea gulls aiming for my clean black car is a day to day hazard for me haha!

I dont think a D4 existed in this model year, it was 163hp as standard?

It also cost me much less than it should have!

Just went to get some Pizza for tea and took the Volvo as I couldn't be arsed to move it to get the Jag out.

It's a different animal now, torque steer through 2nd and 3rd and it kept up with a new Fiesta ST on the bypass from 50-*** which surprised me.

Might need to be hit with the lowering stock at some point, just don't want to ruin the ride.

I also want some 18's or 19's for it as it has massive arches to fill

I bought some Volvo 17's but they didn't look great so I've sold them back on.

Was tempted to try the 20's from the XF but i think they will be too wide.

Would give me an excuse to buy wheels for the XF then though I'd they did fit 🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get some headrest screens for the Jag so I'll be plumbing them into the front screen DVD/TV outlet so we have screens galore, should make for quieter journeys to the caravan!

Also going to put my old Xbox One under the boot floor and use it as a media player and we can play Forza on the move then as well.

Not done anything with the Xantia as I'm really busy with work now, so might be a while.

Volvo keeps on Volvoing, they're great everyday cars, can't beat them in my opinion for a safe, reliable do it all car, wouldn't be without one!

Also manages 44.2 MPG average on my wife's commute of 6 miles each way, and it's basically a small mountain she goes up and the down every day, so that is superb.

Treated it to some new wiper blades at least!

• 4 weeks later...

So as per various breakages here;

On 7/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, Cento16v said:

Well that was an eventful weekend, and not I'm a good way.

Came back Friday to pick up the wife and boy when they finished school, got almost home when I was sat in traffic (in the XF) and when I went from sat idling to about 10 percent throttle there was a pop, then a red restricted performance message, and it wasn't kidding, I had about 30hp at best, I read the codes and had loads of low boost codes, had a poke about expecting to find a hole or popped off pipe, but no, it's popped the intercooler inlet duct, which is part of the intercooler.

Thankfully it will be covered under warranty, but could have done without it!

So I got home and swapped for the V60, no problems, got there Friday, had a few trips round no issues.

Got 3 miles from home, hand brake went on, and then a noise followed by a message, 'Park brake not fully released', great 🙄😂

Code reader on, wouldn't release to service position, nsr caliper stuck on.

Obviously the epb doesn't apply constant pressure, once it's clamped, the motor won't move any further inwards, so I drove about 300m and it took enough of the pad off to stop smoking 😂

Rear discs and pads looked brand new 😔

Caliper motor has snapped off the caliper, quite a common thing on these.

IMG-20210718-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.6e6049a82ef72793818713c915c01438.jpeg

I've ordered both rear calipers and pads, so that's tommorow mornings job, and I'll ring Jag and get them to pick up the XF when I'm done.

Reliable, modern cars eh!

Wish the Activa's MOT hadn't expired as I'd have sent the wife to work in it 😂

The XF should be home today after been at Jag all week, whilst they waited for an Intercooler to come in for it, all paid for under warranty.

Quite a common issue with them, surprising for one to last as long as this one did tbh, 70k miles on it now!

Fitted new rear calipers, that come with the EPB motors, and new rear pads to the V60 on Monday, bobbed some new fluid in, and off it goes, back to being a reliable Volvo *touches all visible wood.

Back to the caravan this afternoon, hopefully a more successful weekend this time 😂

Think I'll take the XF, mainly due to the fact the rear DVD system will be keeping our little passenger entertained!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the button after sitting for far too long.

I'm stuck as to what to do with it.

The money I've got to sort it appears to be needed for a house move, and with the size of mortgage we're getting I think it will be a while before I can chuck 3k at a respray.

I don't want it sat deteriorating as cars are for driving, not for hoping and waiting I'll get time, when it appears we're going to have a lot on at home.

But I really don't want to let it go 😔

But, it might be in the cars best interests, or I could just MOT it and drive it all scabby, which I won'tenjoy, I love having a clean car

• 4 months later...

So, new sensor ordered and fitted for 29 quid, proper bosch jobbing, and we're back in business.

Booked for its MOT next month, it won't fail on owt, it's like new!

XF booked for a service next week, this is alien to me, I always look after my own, but it has to be done at a VAT registered garage to keep its warranty intact 🙄

Then next job, sadly, is to sell the Activa.

Were moving soon, and don't have space. I don't want to break it, so I hope I can find a new home for it 😔

• 1 month later...

So it's going to be the end of the line for the Activa with me. Its all I've ever wanted, but I don't have the time, or soon the space to get this one back to peak health. So I'll be popping up an ad, not sure if there will be much want for it on here mind? Will stick it up on FCF and on the Activa FB page. Cba with ebay or the like tbh, I just hope someone will take it on.

Hopefully one day I'll find one that someone has cherished and I can actually just use. 

XF is boring me a bit now as well, so that might be going, I just can't think of anything to replace it with, it's a lovely car, but its a bit too good at everything. Although it feels like a special place to sit, it's quick, handles superbly, and has the best interior of any car I've ever had, it just doesn't feel like my car, in the way my S60 did. 

It did this last month which annoyed me;

Screenshot_20220323-163508_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b65f8874ff844cb9d7df25385f8cb895.jpg

Only 33 quid for a febi bilstein sensor, so I couldn't be bothered booking it in under the warranty for it.

Screenshot_20220323-163841_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.505e2414434be2c1b60b5a819c74a5cc.jpg

Gave it an end of winter (he says optimistically) clean, will give it a machine polish when it's a but more consistent weather wise.

20220306_120714.thumb.jpg.8cac1707b13c23ccb717316e3fb88a4b.jpg

Maybe I just don't know what I want car wise, maybe a P2 V70R or a P3 Polestar of some kind? 

• 1 month later...

Finally had a couple of weeks where I've put miles on the Jag this school holiday.

It's a great car for covering long distance, and getting out after 4 hours feeling like you've just popped to the shops 10 minutes down the road.

The seats are amazingly supportive and comfortable, and being air conditioned and heated, you never have a cold or hot back/arse, it's lovely.

It also is very economical for the size and power of it, Legoland, a load of running about round Windsor, and back up north on about 5/8ths of a tank. 524 miles done and 220 miles of range left.

Needs a clean though!

20220423_095331.thumb.jpg.347c42f9bb6f216dc07a12408767f8c0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Activa is going 😔

Very sad for it to be leaving, but happy it is being saved. 

Could have broken it for a lot more, but that's not what I wanted for it.

Looking forward to seeing it restored 😀

Had to fit 2 more headlight bulbs to the V60, with them being on all the time it doesn't half go through them, at least they are the easiest bulbs in the world to change!

As we don't tow the caravan much any more, and have the V60 to tow it if needed, I'm getting itchy feet with my XF.

It's very lovely, and is by far the 'best' car I've ever had. But I miss the noise of my S60, so I think I want another petrol, even though it will be 3 times the tax and half the empeegees.

Not sure whether to go XKR, V60/S60 T6, Cayman/911, or just keep the XF, as I'm sure I'll miss it when it goes and I realise how good it is at doing everything.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

XF ended up in the garage again as it decided exhaust fumes would be better served in the cabin, rather than exiting at the rear of the car.

Thanks to this;

Screenshot_20220825-135358_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.6bbcfe2d0b73aa35bcb517bb3da80d49.jpg

Exhaust Manifold Crossover Pipe, a common failure point on the V6 diesel in all flavours, and a twat to fix, as you have to take the left hand Cat off, which bolts to the turbo, and all the studs snap, which is fun.

It was also apparent I had a broken spring on the OSF, and the NSR arm had play in it, so two more jobs where nothing would be seized.

Screenshot_20220825-135341_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.fa2896808fb86c4ce9d43e50c1b45a06.jpg

🙄

That's the OSF arm, which the bolts ended up all being seized into.

So 2 front springs, a new front and rear arm, and it's alive again.

The pipe must have been blowing a while I think, as its much quieter now, and less likely to gas me, which is nice.

Screenshot_20220825-135418_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.6a29684f62f8a2d8b6499298454f0a00.jpg

4 wheel alignment has sharpened it up no end as well.

Tonight I'll give it a tickle with the old Karcher and then fit the roof bars in readiness for picking up a roof box prior to our holibobs next week, never seem one with a roof box fitted to it!

Nothing to report with the V60, it just carries on being a great all round car, Volvo really do know how to build cars.

In other news, my old Activa is being looked after, and has been fully resprayed by the new custodian, it looks ace 😎

Screenshot_20220822-212227_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c558e1ecab596340609d52c0c840be7b.jpg