Cento's fleet past and present au revoir Volvo, bonjour Shaguar, 924's, french shite, Xantia Activa 😎....

Cento16v

Going to need some heavy duty cleaning products and some kind of mask I think to ensure I don't breathe all that crap in!

I've found a place called Westroen who seem to offer a service to supply and fit 10 Spheres for about 300 quid which seems a cracking deal.

An Activa! Wow I'd like one of those. I take it that's Dante red, does it have much lacquer peel? I think the interior first would also be my choice looking at that haha.

When I had an XM and asked in my local Citroen dealer for some LHM (I was in there for a part for the C4 VTS ) they couldn't help me and advised ebay!

10 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

An Activa! Wow I'd like one of those. I take it that's Dante red, does it have much lacquer peel? I think the interior first would also be my choice looking at that haha.

When I had an XM and asked in my local Citroen dealer for some LHM (I was in there for a part for the C4 VTS ) they couldn't help me and advised ebay!

It's not Dante Red I don't think, I'll get the colour code tommorow, it's a bit darker I think?

Well currently it's 50 shades of red I suppose, but that will be dealt with in due course!

• Cento16v changed the title to Cento's fleet past and present au revoir Volvo, bonjour Shaguar, 924's, french shite, Xantia Activa 😎....

Before you get too deeply involved in getting the interior clean...make sure the windscreen scuttle trim on the nearside is intact.  It often cracks, the result being that rainwater drops straight down into the heater intake and into the passenger footwell.  The result quickly being a damp and mouldy interior.

25 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Before you get too deeply involved in getting the interior clean...make sure the windscreen scuttle trim on the nearside is intact.  It often cracks, the result being that rainwater drops straight down into the heater intake and into the passenger footwell.  The result quickly being a damp and mouldy interior.

Cheers I'll have a look 👍

On 4/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Cento16v said:

Turns out 240 miles is a long way to drive a moldy old Citroen with no suspension travel 😂

20210408_171910.thumb.jpg.e677b951f3e3f641762f1fcee0ad2c11.jpg

But, its home now, long road ahead, but it will be fun I'm sure!

First thing is to sort suspension out, then the interior 🤢

20210408_171901.thumb.jpg.9fbaef86509428c42c2724ca5410cc7e.jpg

Actually, maybe the interior first 😂

20210408_171840.thumb.jpg.db3916163fb4bd7afe58e59b235e4eb8.jpg

Jeez that's grim! 👌

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been acquiring a few bits here and there.

My dad found his old Xantia HBOL in the loft, helpfully it doesn't cover the Activa, so I'm not sure what use it was to him 😂

I have a proper Activa Bumper (in green 🙄) that turned up last week

Screenshot_20210428-113052_eBay.thumb.jpg.2d9e06ab85264bf6fa36f54ec23fad87.jpg

a Hydractive repair kit that I was recommended to buy off ebay as below

Screenshot_20210413-110803_Drive.thumb.jpg.d615e0285cf0af93f572035e2bfe06c1.jpg

a new Exide Battery from Tayna for £35 which I thought was very cheap, and a new wet vac from B&Q so I don't ruin my nice carpet cleaner with all that mould 😂

Strut tops were replaced recently as one speared the bonnet, will have a look from underneath but they look OK from above

20210425_183854.thumb.jpg.ecaaa3986f657ad53fbeff961f80a538.jpg

20210425_183903.thumb.jpg.cbafc59d5bde5f0370ff043a6db1a00b.jpg

So a list in order of importance:

New Battery.

Interior removal and clean to minimise chance of getting super plague.

Up on a ramp for a proper check over before pouring money into it.

Hydroflush and LHM replacement (need to buy some of each)

If all is OK, full sphere replacement at Westroen, or do it myself if I can find some Spheres.

Full service and Cambelt, see why it's running cool, poss thermostat stuck or removed as coolant temp sits below 60oC when moving but comes upto 90 when stopped.

Oil Temp is also below what I'd expect, hovering around the bottom of the gauge when on the motorway, but I've only driven it very gently other than a couple of 30-*** squirts to see if I pulled ok (it did 😎 )

New lockset as I don't have a key that locks the drivers door, and I have 3 keys for various locks and to start it 😔

A new dashboard clock.

Fit non damaged bumper.

Fit manual boost controller.

Drive it, completely with scabby paint and be happy.

Then further down the line:

Prep all damage to body and primer car.

Respray.

Wheel Refurb.

Enjoy.

20210408_171741.thumb.jpg.36d6e7df10c31ab661a1a2fb7368b567.jpg

Great to see an Activa again. It’s been ages since I last saw one. Someone I knew converted quite a few to the V6 which was probably the fastest car I’ve ever been round a corner in.

It’s been a few years since I ran BX, XM and Xantias and I never had an Activa but the spheres were very straightforward to change. Back then, spheres were £15 each from GSF. Likewise, fluid changes were a doddle.

The worst were always the main rear ram ones but I used to get the back wheels on ramps, set the suspension to high and have somebody sit in the boot. You could really belt the sphere tool with a big hammer then to shift the most stubborn old spheres.

My mate had an Activa and it used to ‘shimmy’ at idle I.e. it would almost do a little dance from corner to corner. Something to do with the rams that were Activa specific. 

13 minutes ago, JMotor said:

That's vast improvement on that interior. 

Hopefully it's not too much hassle to get it roadworthy again. 

Well its MOTd and driveable now.

Just needs the spheres sorting which is a timing issue now as I'm busy all the time!

Day 2, mechanical tinkering.

Fitted a Hydractive repair kit, put a fuse in the system as the old one had blown and, when, we have Hydractive, we have sport mode, we have working suspension!

Just need some brake light bulbs as I noticed they were blown earlier and to sort the central locking, and I'll put some miles on it and see what else it needs!

I love the concept of the Activa. Friend of mine had a regular Xantia back around 1996-ish and that was a comfortable car to ride around in.

The Activa system- is it just a feedback system, where it attempts to keep the suspension in the same leveled position no matter what dynamic forces act upon it? 

Phil

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

I love the concept of the Activa. Friend of mine had a regular Xantia back around 1996-ish and that was a comfortable car to ride around in.

The Activa system- is it just a feedback system, where it attempts to keep the suspension in the same leveled position no matter what dynamic forces act upon it? 

Phil

If you have a look at the last page of this pdf it shows you the basic principles of its operations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.activa-club.fr/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Citro%C3%ABnXantiaActiva-1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjp1KjBlqvwAhUGQUEAHZ5bDEQQFjAHegQIHRAC&usg=AOvVaw0C_kxqhByEGbUoWIB209Ep

And the rest of the article shows how much better it was than its contemparies 😎

Interesting...no wood on the dash and no climate control...thought those were standard on the Activa.

My oil temperature gauge sits barely above the bottom of the gauge unless I'm really giving it full beans. 

The "shuffle" when stationary seems to be a normal thing on the Activa, it's just the system re-establishing that it is correctly homes in the level position.

That LED being on basically is the alarm telling you that it's not happy about something - can't recall what the various states mean though.

7 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Interesting...no wood on the dash and no climate control...thought those were standard on the Activa.

My oil temperature gauge sits barely above the bottom of the gauge unless I'm really giving it full beans. 

The "shuffle" when stationary seems to be a normal thing on the Activa, it's just the system re-establishing that it is correctly homes in the level position.

That LED being on basically is the alarm telling you that it's not happy about something - can't recall what the various states mean though.

Mine doesn't shuffle once it's at normal height. I was playing with the lever in my video 😀

It's a very early car, I have an electric sunroof instead of AC by the look of it, my dad said his had both which must have been a cost option I guess? But his was a 96 and mine was built in 95.

I think I'll order a remote key and program it to see if I can disable the alarm, that should stop the light I think.

Just ordered a parcel shelf and some other interior bits and it will be done inside then 😀

So I ordered, cleaned and fitted a parcel shelf as it was looking very bare back there;

20210511_183631.thumb.jpg.3ad94835b57b6b4011294f914fe7297d.jpg

I also ordered some mats as you can see!

Sadly, they don't fit, they're about 3 inches too wide and 8 inches too long!

20210511_180314.thumb.jpg.939a8113e51b53362a28b42ca6e716f7.jpg

20210511_180222.thumb.jpg.2a531774f2ac086d53592b9d1962a53f.jpg

But the gear knob and gaiter fits after a bit of fettling, it's horrible quality though, but better than what was there! When I can find a proper one it will be replaced.

20210511_183256.thumb.jpg.c5abf26d199d8eab29e02f337a4a74cd.jpg

20210511_183340.thumb.jpg.00005738e2d1873453ef1cdcd3a08929.jpg

Also my brand new bonnet turned up for it, very surprised to find one

20210511_183754.thumb.jpg.d8bf8317b4af26febffcae72a44d3adb.jpg

Also a bit of a Fleet change, picking up a V60 of this parish on Saturday and then I need to get rid of the 308 as we have no space at the Inn!

Will be nice to have a Volvo again, I miss my S60 very much, if they still did a 5 Cylinder S60 I'd swap my XF for one in a heartbeat, I like the XF, it's a very capable car, but it doesn't have the character my T5 had.

It's probably the most characterful modern car I could find though, its a very special place to sit, and it really handles well for a big car.

It's a lovely looking thing, to my eyes at least 😎

qkrnfx.thumb.jpg.587bb33d50f354ef99f3b686d44883b7.jpg

Took it to the Caravan at the weekend, did 350 miles on half a tank (about 35l) and I wasn't hanging about for 180 of those miles as I was on my own!

So easy to go past 3 or 4 cars if they're sat dawdling on the single carriageway bits of the A64, flex of the big toe and away you go.

Just need to be very careful, as you don't realise just how much speed you've put on!

Back to the van in two weekends times and we can go in the pub next time!

Can't wait, I do love van life 😃

20210506_162531.thumb.jpg.9d168393d6f4a4b633584eaa8ede2c19.jpg

20210511_180254.jpg

Another change of vehicles!

The faithful old Silver bus was delivered to its new home this morning!

20210514_093102.thumb.jpg.3cc515b6c4f5b037ff69d1467b1d108e.jpg

I then had the pleasure of an empty train, it was brilliant, first time on public transport for about a year!

It's unheard of for Leeds train station to be so empty, or rather it was 🤔

20210514_100132.thumb.jpg.6a7972be82120edd53c86fadca73d700.jpg

Then the lovely new addition picked up and home, ready for duty next week 😎

mxhbhx.thumb.jpg.774705979db3d980bb2776c180678038.jpg

Lovely to have a nice colourful car on the drive again, and a pleasure to meet @Shandylegs again, I guess me selling those wheels to you ended up as more of a quick borrow of them 😂

Now, as its Friday, it can mean only one thing.

IMG-20210514-WA0013.thumb.jpeg.1ac9d1bc30cf83667ab2c56e4da9ffb3.jpeg

And yes, I did double up on my first beer 😂

V60 and XF given a wash and a quick wax in the lovely English weather today, its a shame the V60 is really quite a lot better paint quality wise than my XF, which would have been not far off 2 and a half times more expensive when they were both new, and it has special option Pearlescent Black paint.

Volvo really do paint cars well.

Ordered full service bits, air, oil, pollen, fuel filter, 8l of OE oil and new rear boot light as its a bit melted.

My wife keeps having a big hiss fit about it having an electronic handbrake, to the point of being quite angry with it, my laughter may* have helped calm her back down.

Hopefully once she's had it a couple of weeks she will be my friend again 🤷‍♂️

It's a lovely car though, if you blanked the mileage out you'd easily believe it had done 13k, not 113k, it's immaculate 😎