Shirley the Ginger Disastra Cab - Improving the electric supply and ability to see in the dark

Cookiesouwest

The 200 mile report.

Ginger has not been used much, covid, lockdown etc

Been giving her a 10 mile lap of local villages every few days.

Brakes ok now, nice clean brake fluid. She still runs a bit rough when under load, particularly up hills.

Selling a set of alloys for one of the old MGs tomorrow, so will have some spare cash to splash on parts.

Gonna try new plugs and coil pack first, cause the rough running feels electrical in nature. Maybe a fuelling issue, but sort the electrical bits first I think.

Oh and buy her a new thermostat, cause she runs luke warm.

I will do all that myself. She is booked in garage on 11th, for oil change and fuel filter, cause I don't want the mess and local tip is shut, so cant get rid of the waste.

She had her first wash and polish today. Happy to report her roof does not leak :)

She scrubs up ok

20200529_202015.thumb.jpg.6f9dc6a520bc5172c172f73b48933bd3.jpg

Advice needed. Took Shirley out for a 20 mile drive. Did drive quite 'briskly'. When I got out of car and was walking past rear offside wheel, I felt a lot of heat. Wheel was too hot to touch.

Sticking caliper? Wheel bearing? Car drove and braked fine.

The  other wheels were warm, but not melt your fingertips warm.

Likely sticking caliper from lack of use. I had to replace one on the Mini because of exactly this. 

You will need a wind back tool to wind the piston in, not dear from eBay I don't think. If you try and push the piston in you will ruin it.

There are 2 types of caliper. Helpfully I cannot remember the name of each nor the visual differences which are supposed to be quite clear from memory. I think one type has a finned surface but I could be wrong. 

Most parts have arrived. Just waiting for rear calipers and a spark plug socket, because I'm a dick and lost mine.

First up - bonnet lifters. Not actually needed, but I like them. Takes me back to my yoof and max power days :)

20200606_084658.thumb.jpg.e08e22a220e13bd39c2274dbc68f180a.jpg

20200606_084702.thumb.jpg.644e583fed1efd7fa6923603962127dd.jpg

Next up - outside temp sensor

The current sensor shows a temp of between 50 and 73c. I know it's been hot lately but not that bloody hot.

20200606_084051.thumb.jpg.32957e047f3c66f921242c938fd4bec8.jpg

The old one, located on rear of front bumper

20200606_084712.thumb.jpg.0abcb5f8b77aa41d705628f8e5f827cc.jpg

Easy to replace - thankfully - unplug the loom and pull out the old sensor. As HBOL says fitting is a reverse of removal.

And now, I know what the real temperature is.

20200606_085156.thumb.jpg.c05a75738ba08ba8b984e3fb04593ce2.jpg

Once Amazon turn up with my spark plug socket, Shirley can have her new plugs and coil pack.

All parts now received.

Time to give Shirley, some attention.

20200609_121610.thumb.jpg.68223b2b9da71854316f8baff87056d1.jpg

Remove engine cover. Nice and easy, as I ain't no mechanic lol

20200609_122334.thumb.jpg.72d225e0f09c55cf07b4c72573aaeed0.jpg

Unplug coil pack from loom and remove. Took a bit of effort, it was on very snugly

20200609_122436.thumb.jpg.1afce4e738f57f1bfa1ba31e8d151f79.jpg

Then remove the plugs. I wont bore you with pics of all 4. They all looked like this. Not as bad as I was expecting tbh

20200609_123232.thumb.jpg.d791684b283b671402edd793851930c2.jpg

New plugs put in and replacement (used) coil pack attached.

20200609_124236.thumb.jpg.f277c99af3fa39cac6983218288cc9db.jpg

Then on to the throttle body. It was a bit manky. 

20200609_125538.thumb.jpg.f2fed4949fdb73972c462ebd3da50b71.jpg

Didn't have any brake cleaner, so used WD40

20200609_131553.thumb.jpg.32d7a42a6369b49438c0c8e62954ccc2.jpg

20200609_131556.thumb.jpg.ab473b2b5a36e26494f4fb09074fbfbe.jpg

Then took Shirley for a spin. The flat spot at 3k has gone :) but now has a very big flat spot at 4.5k. Either I've not cleaned the throttle body well enough or I have another issue (possibly fuelling). Car is off to garage on Thursday for fuel filter and oil change. So I will see how she runs after that.

Then engine cover off again, to tackle the thermostat.

The old one still had movement, so I can only assume the reason for cold running was the sensor.

20200609_151017.thumb.jpg.c4e7607cff24fdf8d47ccae317d9965e.jpg

Put the new GM one in, as it comes with a new sensor.

20200609_151442.thumb.jpg.41722b75c18ba8d343abd5588ea2af7a.jpg

Topped up coolant. Took her for a thrash, then topped up coolant again - Vauxhall's self bleed which is good.

Also looked at exhaust and most of it seems quite new, which was a pleasant surprise. It is blowing slightly near the front. Garage can investigate on Thursday.

26 minutes ago, andyberg said:

If you need some (socially distanced) help just shout, I'm no mechanic either but sometimes another pair of hands is good.

Thanks. Might be doing rear brakes very shortly, calipers, discs, pads. May need help with bleeding the brakes. Will shout if I do

80% sure of it. If schools don't go back properly basically we are buggered, there is no other work. But hey, I have an Alfa Romeo so life is not all bad ?? do give me a shout though Cookie, more than happy to help out if I can. 

Dropped Shirley off at Angry Parrot (yes that is the name of the garage), this morning (along with the Vectra for MOT).

Shes booked in for oil change and fuel filter, plus inspect aux belt (it looks a bit ropey) and investigate blowing exhaust.

Garage just phoned, aux belt is a bit ropey but could last. Told them to change it. Exhaust blow is due to a knackered clamp at front.

38 quid for the aux belt, clamp free if he has the right one lying around, 75 quid for oil and filter change. Could have done myself, but I don't have to worry about the mess or disposing of old oil, which is difficult as local tip is closed.

Also saw a black 03 plate coupe tucked away on my walk back this morning. It looks a little worse for wear, checked mot, over 200k on clock and a boat load of advisories on last ticket Sept 19. 

Serious consideration is now being given to leaving a note on windscreen, as I'm mental.

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Dropped Shirley off at Angry Parrot (yes that is the name of the garage), this morning (along with the Vectra for MOT).

Shes booked in for oil change and fuel filter, plus inspect aux belt (it looks a bit ropey) and investigate blowing exhaust.

Garage just phoned, aux belt is a bit ropey but could last. Told them to change it. Exhaust blow is due to a knackered clamp at front.

38 quid for the aux belt, clamp free if he has the right one lying around, 75 quid for oil and filter change. Could have done myself, but I don't have to worry about the mess or disposing of old oil, which is difficult as local tip is closed.

Also saw a black 03 plate coupe tucked away on my walk back this morning. It looks a little worse for wear, checked mot, over 200k on clock and a boat load of advisories on last ticket Sept 19. 

Serious consideration is now being given to leaving a note on windscreen, as I'm mental.

I'd recommend an oil extractor, no mess and the spout means easy to pour into your old container for safe storage until the tips open again.

The extractor, oil and filter will cost you less than £75 the next time round.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

I'd recommend an oil extractor, no mess and the spout means easy to pour into your old container for safe storage until the tips open again.

The extractor, oil and filter will cost you less than £75 the next time round.

I have got one somewhere. Garden, yard and shed are full, waiting for tip to open, so on this occasion I think I made a good call, iro lack of storage.

So picked her up from garage.

115 quid in total. Old oil filter was rusty and practically welded on, so fair to say she was overdue a service. New aux belt fitted and fuel filter. Exhaust no longer blowing :)

Rear brake pipes are rust holding hands, so she is going back Monday to have them replaced. 50 quid plus parts, so cant complain.

Took her for a 10 mile blast on way home. Hesitation much reduced and she improved as miles increased. So fuel filter seems to have cured the problem. Fingers crossed. Could be an intermittent fuel pump or maf. I'm hoping not.

Given her glaring lack of maintenance, despite dealer saying 'shes got FSH honest', and the very cracked aux belt, I'm starting to think the wildly exciting game of cambelt roulette may be somewhat riskier than previous cars.

Still have rear calipers, discs and pads to fit and think she would benefit from the same on the front.

Bill's are certainly mounting, so it's a good job I like her. 

Need to consider, how long I want to play cambelt roulette as she owes me over a grand, so would be a shame to have her go bang now. But hadn't budgeted for a belt and pump (hadn't budgeted for brakes, brake pipes or aux belt either). Dosh is getting tight, so may have to use the flexible friend after being very nice to Mrs CSW.

Or go through the shed, find all the ZS180 bits I accumulated and flog them off for Disastra funds.

Shirley is back in the garage for rear brake lines.

Part of the reason I like the garage I use, is what he has parked outside.

20200615_083730.thumb.jpg.162e4a9b976ec147aefdeb7577b04226.jpg

Another G cab has come up for sale locally. Cheap but needs work. It's been modified :(

But the value of the modified parts exceed the price of the car. Sorely tempted to put it back to standard, flog the bits and end up with a nearly free car.

Evening folks.

Advice please.

When Shirley is started from cold, she fires into life with no problem. But when engaging gear and pulling away, she bogs down and trys to stall.

A heavy blip of the gas pedal, seems to cure the problem, so that the second attempt to pull away is always successful.

Any ideas?

47 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Evening folks.

Advice please.

When Shirley is started from cold, she fires into life with no problem. But when engaging gear and pulling away, she bogs down and trys to stall.

A heavy blip of the gas pedal, seems to cure the problem, so that the second attempt to pull away is always successful.

Any ideas?

Did you replace the MAF sensor?

10 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Did you replace the MAF sensor?

No. About the only thing I didnt change lol I will add it to the list and try and do next month, unless I can get a good used one.

My 695 car now owes me 1207. Looks like I'm keeping her for awhile :)

• 2 months later...

Well Shirley hasn't been driven since June. She's been started regularly, to keep battery topped up. 

The binding rear caliper made her undriveable. Sadly due to work / holibobs / weather, I was not able to put her new rear brakes on. 

So I bit the bullet and she was delivered to Angry Parrot this morning, to have both rear calipers / discs / pads changed.

I think one of the fronts is a bit sticky too, but will have a better idea, when she gets taken for a thrash tonight.

Shirley now has shiny new rear calipers / discs and pads. Brake pedal is a bit soft, but will wait for the rear pads to bed in, before returning to garage and requesting a re-bleed.

Gave her a blast last night. Hesitation is still there, so I do need to bite bullet and follow @Split_Pin advice and bung a MAF on. Payday next week. On plus side, now the brakes aren't on all the time, she is a lot quicker :)

Shirley now owes me 1277. I supplied the brake parts and it took 2 1/2 hrs labour (62 quid) to change. Fair to say that a large hammer and lots of swearing occurred. Due to the heat caused by sticking calipers, things had become very stuck together.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick update. Knackered battery and failed headlight bulb.

Quite a lot of swearing involved so didn't take pics except the two below. The new battery is 075, which is meant to be correct, but a lot bloody smaller than the one that came off.

Old

20201107_121118.thumb.jpg.046141207aa9a11bdea1f84c5d635468.jpg

New

20201107_121127.thumb.jpg.b3f21a78eca671654d8035c7b321cd22.jpg

No pics of bulb change because I forgot.

Next job is the rear shocks. About 200 to pick from on Autodoc, so will select via lucky dip :)

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Shirley the Ginger Disastra Cab - Improving the electric supply and ability to see in the dark