Shirley the Ginger Disastra Cab - Improving the electric supply and ability to see in the dark

Cookiesouwest

So I've decided to give Shirley her own thread. How she joined the fleet, is in my main thread, along with first impressions.

The Wollard Pic, after she arrived. The fat bastard is me.

20200429_183904.thumb.jpg.dc9cdadc61c2ef8dd0e1eb877a321b4c.jpg

Shirley is a 2003 1.8 z18xe manual Astra G cabriolet (or coupe when she decides not to obey the roof down request).

Titan Gold Pearl Metallic according to the Luton lads. Ginger according to Mrs CSW.

And Mrs CSW hates it. It will be offered to members of this parish when the time comes.

I'm still working out what she needs and going to document her time on the fleet here.

Bought her for 695, blind. Ceri of this parish picked her up from Tipton and delivered her to Somerset.

Shirley has now had three trips out.

I can report the following :

1. Windscreen Wipers. They move water around the screen, but don't clear it. She has a triangle of doom that would give dollywobbler heart palpitations. I suspect the wipers are not the correct size.

2. On start up she revs at 1.5k for a few minutes before settling down to about 900. Having never had a Vauxhall with this engine, I don't know if this is normal.

3. Slight hunt when idling. Normal ? Or maybe decaying vac pipes.

4. She has an exhaust blow somewhere.

5. Her brakes are not great. First two drives, very soft pedal. Third drive, I hit the pedal once, then again. On the second push of pedal, they were firm and she stopped. Maybe she needs a brake fluid change, or a new Master Cylinder.

6. Accelerating above 3k, she suffers some hesitation. The hesitation gets worse the higher the revs. At 5.5k she can behave like she has had a complete loss of power for a moment. Really not sure why. I'm suspecting its coil or throttle body related. Maybe plugs or leads. I am hoping it's not related to timing issue. 

7. Thermostat. She has never made it to 90c operating temperature. Slowly gets to 80c, drops slightly on long fast flat run or down hill.

8. Will need a tyre or two in next couple of months.

I'm not a mechanic. In Haynes terms I'm a 3 spanner guy at best.

I suspect, I will just throw parts at her, till problems are resolved. Starting with cheapest parts first, as budget is restricted (the Vectra needs some bits - including MOT related issues, due in June - I have decided to ignore the 6 month extension).

Cosmetically - not to bad for age and mileage. I do want to respray her centre console, as the silver paint has been scratched off in many places with use.

Likes - Seats are supportive and comfy. I like the gear change. Much shorter shift than the Vectra. She goes round corners surprisingly well. Not quite in the same class as mk1 focus, but not far off. She is a nice drive.

Jury is still out - the roof. Operated it 3 times so far and she is 2 for 3. Either I was a plonker when she refused to lower her roof, or I have an intermittent fault. Time will tell.

Fantastic cars these, I had my Coupe z18 xe for 13 years. Titan gold is one of the best colours. I miss mine now.

The slight hesitation could be a new MAF sensor required and a clean of the throttle body as well. These might sort both your issues. They're quite robust engines the Z18.

Thermostat is a really easy job and a common issue with these, lives on the left of the engine as you face it, high up and towards you. 10 minutes job. Get a genuine one or you'll be replacing it again in a month, I got through 3 before I learned that!

Dead easy to work on and parts are dead cheap.

I paid £150 for a black coupe about 8 years ago. The big ends were knocking like fuck and it didn't make it out of the street before it nipped up. I bought a 1.8 engine from a vectra for £80 from gumtree and fitted that. I had to swap over a fair few ancillaries iirc.

£230 for a car with long mot is a winner in my book. I sold it for £600 about a year later. Pobabaly the only car I've ever made money on.

The engine issues.  Dont suspect anything until you've changed the spark plugs, oil and filters. 

The temperature? I wouldn't worry but probably normal for this time of year. 

The brakes? Sounds like a fluid leak. Check the level before you go anywhere. 

BMW roofs will not fold if the required boot space isn’t clear. Is there a compartment for the hood that can be turned into boot space when the roof is up?

I’ve also had issues with sticky buttons. But generally these roofs don’t go wrong provided it didn’t sound too noisy when you folded it successfully previously.

Worth understanding how to close it manually, in case you get caught in the rain with the roof down!

Very nice! 

If it's the 1.6 16v replace the spark plugs. Had that engine in a meriva and I eventually had a look after a few months of decaying performance and the ceramic was hanging off 2 plugs... Also did its coil pack in, bought a used one for £20 and order was restored (I think it was the coil pack initially...).

If it's the 1.8 then plugs again but check the vac pipe that comes off the rocker cover top left. Ours split, the ex barely got it home under its own power from half a mile away. 20 minutes with some electrical tape and it lasted another 15odd k! Ferocious suction from that pipe, any leaks completely fucks the ecu up! 

On both, a good clean of the throttle body and maf helps too! 

But never forget, their all shit... 

21 minutes ago, timolloyd said:

BMW roofs will not fold if the required boot space isn’t clear. Is there a compartment for the hood that can be turned into boot space when the roof is up?

I’ve also had issues with sticky buttons. But generally these roofs don’t go wrong provided it didn’t sound too noisy when you folded it successfully previously.

Worth understanding how to close it manually, in case you get caught in the rain with the roof down!

Yes, I will be aquainting myself with that procedure :)

40 minutes ago, New POD said:

The engine issues.  Dont suspect anything until you've changed the spark plugs, oil and filters. 

The temperature? I wouldn't worry but probably normal for this time of year. 

The brakes? Sounds like a fluid leak. Check the level before you go anywhere. 

I'm going to order a service kit and stat. If that doesn't work, then I will widen my search for the issue.

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Hoods sticking half way and then just beeping at you, is a common occurrence, Google-fu will likely explain the remedy!

If it got halfway I would have been impressed. It did nothing. No reaction from the hood or window button. No beeps. I'm sure I had the handbrake on too. Anyway after lots of swearing and threatening to take her to the bridge, later that day, it then worked. No idea why.

12 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The slight hesitation could be a new MAF sensor required and a clean of the throttle body as well. These might sort both your issues. They're quite robust engines the Z18.

Thermostat is a really easy job and a common issue with these, lives on the left of the engine as you face it, high up and towards you. 10 minutes job. Get a genuine one or you'll be replacing it again in a month, I got through 3 before I learned that!

Having had a couple of z18xe I second all of the above, cleaning the throttle body might also sort the idle issues.

Ok, I finally got round to taking Shirley for a drive.

For those who don't know, she has two buttons at bottom of centre console. One for the roof, one to lower all four electric windows at same time.

Decided to test the windows first.

They lowered, which was good news. Then they didn't raise, not so good. On the third attempt, up they came.

Repeated the test two more times. Second attempt, had to press button twice to get a reaction. Third attempt, it again took three pushes to get windows up.

Decided I didn't want to be left with the roof down, so didnt test that. Discretion is the better part of valour.

I'm thinking I must have a dodgy connection somewhere. As I'm as good at auto electrics as I am at Marathon running (see Wollard pic), Shirley will have to stay a coupe for now till, I either summon the balls to root around myself, or pay huge sums of cash to an auto sparky.

Took her for a roof down, spin round the block.

Amazeballs, Roof worked first try and came back up at first attempt. Car is clearly possessed.

In terms of a ragtop, I've only had an mgf. This is better. More stiff! Less noise, less wind intrusion.

Oh and I've bought a multimeter to test the switches. No idea how to use it mind, but I've bought one :)

Mrs CSW maybe changing her mind.

Went to Mums and Dads today, 20 miles (ish), check up on them. Mum on 12 week lock down due to medical issues.

Mrs CSW drove back. Bit of a scary prospect, as she usually panics a bit when driving an unfamiliar car.

Weirdly she took to it like a duck to water. She did complain it was epically slow, but then she is a big fan of the ZS180 (shes had three). The Disastra is no ZS.

Mrs CSW wondered why I didnt buy the 2.0 turbo.

Anyway, when home she said she was warming to the car. It's not quick enough, but has supportive seats (good for her bad back), likes the gear change, Its much better than the MGF we had, with the roof down.

So. The Ginger Disastra  may be staying on fleet for awhile :)

My sister had 1 of these for a while,used to eat camshaft position sensors

Genuine or aftermarket would only last 3-4 weeks at the most,some much less

Always had a spare in the glovebox but met it's end when a neighbour's car slipped it's handbrake, parking neatly in the rear quarter panel