Ultimate Bangernomics - MK4 Golf SDI Running on Veg Oil

cozmcrae

Hey autoshitters

I was told you guys maybe interested in my current daily/project car since it can easily be described as autoshite. Its a 1999 VW Golf SDI that I'm running on veg oil to keep the costs down. I made a youtube video about it and plan on regular updates on progress and how shes running. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKprC398Slk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2mHsl5oYop1XBIbpMG1MH_ptCfDEYBoVqSuZ1DSC3l-Ek2ocRipYcSfug

Hope you lot enjoy! 

20200417_131311.jpg

Yeah I don't know if I'm going to try engine oil now. I've had a mixed response from mild encouragement to all out fury about it. The guys who have tried running it have almost all used centrifuges to filter the oil but its far to much effort for me since I don't have a steady supply of the stuff. 

Rare to see one of these in estate flavour!

I run a 2004 Mk4 SDI and have done for several years. I used to symoultaneusly run a Lupo SDI as the wife's car such is my love for them, that was sold to Broadsword of this very parish and is still known around these parts. I actually really rate them, nice to see another one in the ranks. 

The main downside to kerosene seems to be slow starting, so I've observed through others using it in off road applications of course. I've also personally experienced the fun of an autumn cold start on far too much veg, clagtastic once it eventually fired!

I ran my zx on a load of old heating oil for a month once! Was free on gumtree, collected it in about 56 various large bottles, mainly 4 pint milk ones! 

It ran, but stank and got utterly shit mpg. I ended up topping off half a tank of the used filtered veg we used to get from the yorkshire dales here I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update video on the golf. Its running great and I've just done some TLC thats shown in the video. I also picked up 20 litres of the cheapest 5w30 oil available on eBay so I'll see what that looks like in 6 months when I do my next oil change. All the questions I forgot to answer in my first video are answered at the start of this one. 

Hope you guys enjoy.

• 3 months later...