Morris 1300

RobT

I’ve always gone for a 30 quid Hall effect upgrade that fits into the dizzy for an A series - combine this with a Lucas gold sports coil, decent plugs and 8mm silicone HT leads and the result was that every time I had to wind the idle right down from where it was running the original setup, cold starting was transformed and a slight increase in willingness and fuel economy was noticed every time.

123 Ignition is the nuclear option but would I’m sure be twice as good again.

To be fair to the cheapo kits, I've been using an Acuspark kit in my 1983 Mini for a few years, along with a red (distributor doctor) rotor arm and lucas cap and it's been spot on.  Starts perfectly every time, no running issues at all.

As said above, they are pot luck really, some fail after the first heat cycle, some keep going for years.

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection time.

After 12 months in slumber on my parents' drive, this old heap will be my winter/ULEZ beater for local trips.

PXL_20231029_165056630.thumb.jpg.cd486b01fae864b672cd461b54380c22.jpg

I collected it yesterday and fortunately the showers had stopped for the 20 minute drive home.  Good job as the wipers were inop.  But this morning they fixed themselves so that's a job off the list already.

Plans are to do some mild tinkering, like replacing the knackered door seals and do a proper radiator flush. A big job I undertook in early 2022 was a head rebuild.  Big to me anyway as I'd never removed a head before.  New stem seals were the initial reason for doing it as the smoke on start up was an embarrassment frankly.  That turned into a hardened valve seat conversion (with new valves obviously) and loads of other ancillary shit I've forgotten.  The upshot was it drove much better and hopefully it'll continue to do so.  Now I'll just crack on and use it as often as possible.