Morris 1300

RobT

45 minutes ago, SiC said:

Is that residue glue stuck on those subframe mounts? ? (Black bits)

Yep.  It's not pretty in many respects but some further prodding today shows it to be mostly solid.  Quite remarkable really.  I managed to create a hole in the corner of the boot floor mind, I just couldn't help having a prod.  But otherwise the floors are fine.

That does look amazingly good for an ado16, and an absolute bargain.  I know I said I didn't want another two door, but I'm beginning to think I bought the wrong one!

I think every example left leaks at least a bit through the bulkhead (unless it's already been properly repaired). 

41 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

Inline filters rarely 'fill', as such, so I wouldn't set too much store by that.

My first tests would be ignition system ones. Remember the old maxim: 90% of problems with SU are caused by Joseph Lucas. I always suspect the ignition system until proven otherwise.

Having said which, the tank does look rusty as you like. I'd be inclined to run a hose from a clean can of fuel through the pump and see what that does as an opening gambit.

Thanks, I'll ignore the inline filter then.  Running pez from a can is also on the list to do.  It seemed odd how the first application of Easy Start didn't do a lot, but then a day later liberal applications worked and it kept running.  Almost like it kicked things into life or something.

44 minutes ago, SiC said:

Fuel pump - checked and cleaned the points? You can pretty easily rebuild the SU pumps for not terrible amounts. Worth checking the rubber fuel lines haven't succumbed to Ethanol if not compliant hoses. I changed all my classic hoses to genuine Gates hose. Don't want it splitting and having a fire on your hands. 

I cleaned the points but they didn't really need it.  I'll also check the hoses, thanks.

9 minutes ago, BeEP said:

I think every example left leaks at least a bit through the bulkhead (unless it's already been properly repaired). 

Even though the bulkhead on the purple one was butchered around a lot and took me a fair bit to sort because of it, it was actually one of the easier welding jobs on the car. Actually was in better shape than the bulkhead on my Dolomite that I need to repair next!

32 minutes ago, hairnet said:

how much 11 m9?

Mmm, do wonder if I need to sell that.  It's now sat outside looking lovely and French, but exposed to the elements.  But I'm starting to build up a nice little collection here, so may just sack off having anything newer than 1992 instead.  Cav can be teh modern.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Looking good. I was obsessed with these as a teenager and even rang a Derek Baylis of the owners club in 1994 to ask about them in general. He was very polite and patient (I was 14)  I do remember he stressed to me to “CHECK THE TRUMPET PANELS”

To this day I still don’t know what they are. But chanelling Mr Baylis you should check yours Rob.

Inner wing trumpets.  One of the many elements of the ADO16 which seems to have been included purely for the purpose of going rusty.

1 hour ago, RobT said:

Some more random acts involved lobbing some Easy Start down it just to see if it is indeed fuel and not ignition related (I'd tried this previously to no effect) and BOOM.  Running lovely again.  It really does tickover and run nicely this thing, so despite doing no mileage in recent years he kept it running well.  However, the inline filter isn't filling up the way it should, so I'm wondering if there's an intermittent fault with the fuel pump.  I cleaned up the earth on the pump and will have another go running it tomorrow.  I hope it isn't knackered, as a new SU pump is £105.

The SU pump on my first A40 gave no end of trouble - it would randomly cut out at the most inopportune times when I was driving.  Twatting it with a hammer generally got it going again for a while.  If you don't want to fit a mechanical pump, you can get generic inline electric pumps off eBay for about 15 quid - I've got one on the Volvo at the moment and it seems to do the job.  As an added bonus it makes a period-correct ticking sound.

I'm quite jealous of this, as I am of BeEP's.  I had a couple of 1300s back when they were still banger money and loved driving them.  Once lockdown is over I still intend to have a cull of some of the crap on my fleet and buy another classic, and these are fairly high up the list.

21 minutes ago, RobT said:

Mmm, do wonder if I need to sell that.  It's now sat outside looking lovely and French, but exposed to the elements.  But I'm starting to build up a nice little collection here, so may just sack off having anything newer than 1992 instead!  Cav can be teh modern.

A decent Mk3 Cav does "modern" just as well as any actual modern I reckon.  Apart from the rear arches dissolving.

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

A decent Mk3 Cav does "modern" just as well as any actual modern I reckon.  Apart from the rear arches dissolving.

Mines far from decent, but it'll do.

As for the pump, that's a good shout going for a generic inline job if I can't get the SU one fixed.  Mind you it also looks fairly new, so I'm inclined to think it's not the issue.

Great work Sir_Robbington! There were two cheap ADO16s on C&C the other week and I thought both looked pretty cool, but had my theoretical eye on the early four-door with the hopped-up motor. Now they've both been bought by Shiters, so I can enjoy both vicariously and don;t have to pick one!

I should definitely have a vactan/stonechip sesh on my Humber, the underside is a fuggin' horroshow of peeling underseal and surface rust, but despite literally not having anything better to do at the moment I am 99% sure I will never get round to it. Oh well!

That looks like a great example Rob, I imagine 2 doors are pretty rare these days.

My first car was a 2 door Austin 1300 back in 1979 and later on in the 80's I had a Morris 1300 and an Austin1300GT. I'd love another but like most BMC/BL cars they're well out of my price range now. 

10 hours ago, RobT said:

Woah, what have I missed?!

Nothing yet!  I've agreed to buy a 1977 Princess.  It's many miles away so I'm waiting until non-essential travel is allowed before it comes home.  I've started a thread but there's not much to see yet!

You've really cracked on with this, for what it's worth I agree on the principle of putting something on unprotected metal regardless of what tin it came out of or what colour it is, I've had to sack off several cars in the last couple of years that would still be around if they'd benefited from that.

I've heard these referred to as "the thinking man's Mini" - they certainly seem to be more affordable.

Excellent.  A wedge Princess is highly desirable!  I suppose if it's far away the cost of delivery is prohibitive. I got this delivered for 100 quid, but it was only coming from 30 miles away.

Classic Minis have their charm, but I think this'll be a more usable prospect.  The Metro fulfils the small and underpowered role in the fleet, although once wound up the 998 bobs along well enough.

11 hours ago, RobT said:

Yep.  It's not pretty in many respects but some further prodding today shows it to be mostly solid.  Quite remarkable really.  I managed to create a hole in the corner of the boot floor mind, I just couldn't help having a prod.  But otherwise the floors are fine.

Those bits are easy to have welded if you ever need it to. The front floors from your pictures look original!

If there isn't rusty spots on an ADO16, it's probably not an ADO16. Even the preserved Gaydon museum car has plenty of bits showing at least surface rust and others as a buyer would be questioning!

20180603_142848.jpg

20180603_142858.jpg

20180603_142822.jpg

20180603_143245.jpg

That is a lovely example, perfect patina too and not an over-restored show queen. Looks like you are really enjoying it.

I remember my neighbours had a red F reg one in their garage in the mid 80s which had belonged to an old Auntie. I used to play in it with their son who was the same age as me and his older sister. I recall the smell and being scared because his sister kept shutting the garage door and plunging us into darkness. They teased me about it then but looking back I can see why a 6 year old me kept  trying to get away and saying "I have to go for my tea now" ? I still cried when it was towed away to the breakers.

That’s a great pic @Spottedlaurel

Theres something about the aesthetics of robs one. the rivited reflective plates, lack of wheel trims, no accessoried classic owner picnic hamper on the back seat or stick on chrome headlight peaks. It’s so honest and period. It’s straight from the high street circa 1977. Superb.

57F396A2-527E-4172-A81A-0B4CD02226F1.thumb.png.e64463b619e7c3f9ad59a9091da18768.png

ACF20183-0E68-44AF-AB47-E543F526129C.jpeg