Retro Cars is no more

ETCHY

33 minutes ago, skoda_fan said:

I think that exemplifies a lot of the problem. Take current issue of PC. On the cover: best soft top for 9 grand. (Like someone said above, who can afford that anyway?). Pics shown: MGB (natch) Alfa Spyder (ditto), Minor convertible (yawn), TVR etc. Also on the cover: VW bay, restored Healey, Interceptor buying guide....like we're going to rush out and buy one of those!. Admittedly somehow a Ka has crept on there too which is a bit more Autoshite. Yes, I'm left with the feeling that I've read it all a hundred times before. All the mags whose loss we're now bemoaning dared to feature stuff that was a bit more left field. But they're gone and PC is still here which I guess says it all.

To be fair to PC they  will cover more recent and less obvious cars, the best example of this is normally the winter challenge were they  have a set budget, maybe a grand then tour the cars round part of the country. But yes they do stick to the usual suspects for the cover stars as they know it sells. I have to confess I never did pick up a copy of Modern classics because it just reminded me of stuff I had already read in magazines like Fastlane, Performance Car and Evo (Which I still have tucked away). 

14 hours ago, SiC said:

I bought this today. About the only magazine I buy and that's only time to time. Excellent writing style and printed on good quality paper. 

15956300388086953551085793317704.thumb.jpg.6a317b503409b78dd3dd1cda955df6c8.jpg

Others on the shelf didn't take my interest at all. 

That's amusing. I drove that Mk1 for the first issue of Classic Jaguar. Incidentally, that magazine continues to do well. Probably because I'm no longer editing it.

I received a letter this morning, telling me that Modern Classics magazine is to cease publication. The last copy being September's delivered in July.  My subscription being transferred to Car magazine. I already receive car as it comes with my bank account. Another one gone...

• 3 months later...

GOOD NEWS!

There's a new publication coming out.

https://www.facebook.com/Car-Mechanics-Bargain-Cars-111730727378863/

Not by the same team sadly but there will be contributions from the RC staff I believe but the chod factor will be reduced.

Still, it's not a magazine all about the generic bloody classics so worth a look into I reckon.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, fatharris said:

GOOD NEWS!

There's a new publication coming out.

https://www.facebook.com/Car-Mechanics-Bargain-Cars-111730727378863/

Not by the same team sadly but there will be contributions from the RC staff I believe but the chod factor will be reduced.

Still, it's not a magazine all about the generic bloody classics so worth a look into I reckon.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Ooh that might be worth a look.

Ta for that

On 7/24/2020 at 11:34 PM, SiC said:

I bought this today. About the only magazine I buy and that's only time to time. Excellent writing style and printed on good quality paper. 

15956300388086953551085793317704.thumb.jpg.6a317b503409b78dd3dd1cda955df6c8.jpg

Others on the shelf didn't take my interest at all. 

Thanks for keeping me in beer for another month! A subscription makes an excellent xmas present. ahem.