ALFA 166 ROFFLE WIN- life as a winner!

andyberg

It looks a bit sad that you're stood on its face. Sublime cars though, they represent to me the last of the line of the kind of 'proper' Alfas (164, 155, 156, 33, 75) I grew up with

Yes I agree, she does look a bit squashed! I also agree that these were about the last proper Alfas before makers started to combine various parts and chassis. It's a shame that there isn't really any individualism any more. But I guess it saves companies money. I'm not a fan of modern cars, or motorcycles for that matter.

Looks great, i don't do many roffles but I bought two numbers for this and suffice to say i am extremely jealous.

With the roof, could you not sand with progressive wet and dry and then spray lacquer from cans?  Bit laborious and may not look perfect but got to be better than what's there and cheaper than a wrap.

Very quick update, not much to report as I cant go far, that may change this evening? Anyway new rear badge fitted and I also got a solar charger to keep the battery topped up as it isn't getting used much. I have been using one on my cars for a few years and have never had a problem with a flat battery no matter how long the car has been stood for. took me a while to realise the battery is in the boot?

Checked all fluids, most seemed ok, oil is clean, coolant not too bad, brake fluid still reasonably clear. However the powersteering fluid was a bit grim, so I changed as much as I could, you can see its not the best looking! Whilst doing this I noticed something else, PANTOGRAPH wiper! Now I know there will be some envious people here ??

IMG_20200510_100429.thumb.jpg.975d943916361b5a1d28b6d30a23fc88.jpg

IMG_20200510_100434.jpg

IMG_20200510_100521.jpg

IMG_20200510_102742.jpg

On 5/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, andyberg said:

The roof needs looking at, I think a respray will be too expensive so am thinking about a vinyl wrap?? If anyone on here has any other ideas I'm keen to listen. And I'll try to get the 12v socket working so I can keep my phone or sat nav charged. The window is no great shakes, I doubt anyone will be getting in the back anytime soon. I hope the car has many years left in it, my plan is to keep it. I am slightly concerned about my job after the virus but know one knows the future. All being well it will stay with me, even though I seem to have sold 7 roffle tickets already??

IMG_20200502_142841.jpg

Vinyl the roof with a giant Italian flag? Just doing it in black would; a) be not very noticeable b) rather hot at this time of year.

Wow that power steering fluid is brooding! 

Where did you get the swivel badge from? Clearly not amazon as some loon wants a ton for one.

Does the solar charger actually work? I wouldn't have thought it'd be powerful enough.

1 minute ago, Kringle said:

Wow that power steering fluid is brooding! 

Where did you get the swivel badge from? Clearly not amazon as some loon wants a ton for one.

Does the solar charger actually work? I wouldn't have thought it'd be powerful enough.

Yeah it was just like black water! I got the badge off ebay, someone was selling a complete 156 lock so I did a bit of research and found that the badges themselves are the same. The lock mechanism is slightly different, so I just swapped the badge onto the car, and it was only £20. The solar charger wont charge a battery, it just maintains the current charge.  Most modern cars drain the battery if you leave them sat, with things like alarms, immobilisers ect. This just combats that. I left the Tacuma sat for about 3 weeks, battery was still reading 12.6volts and started no issues at all. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks to this lock down I haven't been able to take the Alfa far, but tonight I thought it was time. So as its Friday, by law that means it's fish and chip night, I thought I would do a Cummings and take a random drive to a tourist hot spot. We ended up in Burnham on sea., a small town near Weston super mare. Chips on the seafront, that ended up being chips in the car as it pissed down! 

The car is just amazing to drive, without sounding corny, you feel connected to it. There is no effort to go round corners, seats hold you well and are so comfy. Let the engine rev past 4000 and it sounds wonderful. It's not wafty at all and you feel most bumps. Jarring a bit over potholes, but it's not uncomfortable. And it is an Alfa so you can forgive it that. Clutch is a little heavy around town but bearable. I haven't driven a saloon in years, I had forgotten that the rear window clears itself while you drive along, no need for a wiper. It really is a decent place to be. 

She's booked in for an MOT next month so keeping all fingers crossed. I can't see anything really bad, maybe the tyres are getting a bit old and I noticed the drivers side steering rack boot is split. If it fails on these and nothing else I will be a very happy bunny.  I would like to keep her, MOT and job will very much be the decider.  One car may have to go, its which part of me decides if it comes down to it, heart or head... 

IMG_20200612_194626.jpg

IMG_20200612_194644.jpg

1 hour ago, tul66 said:

They're not a bad place to be really. A couple of years ago I drove mine down to a friends house near Angouleme for the racing.

Wasn't as comfy as my old Thema but good enough.

IMG_1031.JPG

That's good mpg. Mine is doing about 32ish, but then I haven't been far... Yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Alfa into Bristol today, popped to the Chinese supermarket. Traffic in Bristol seems back to normal now. The car performed faultlessly, ice cold air con, no overheating in the traffic and heat. Dead comfy seats. The only minus point I am finding is the clutch is a bit heavy for constant town work, but I guess that's what my Tacuma is for. Its managing around 30mpg which isn't too bad as it's mostly short trips or town work, with the air con on. I do feel kind of special driving it.  Its a wonderful place to be. Below is the outside temperature near IKEA in Bristol today. 

IMG_20200625_141748.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As you know I have had to part with this car. I am really gutted, its one of a bucket list of cars I want to own and I hoped it would stay with me a good while. Unfortunately this poxy virus has an awful lot to answer for, so with job uncertainty around the corner cost cutting was needed just in case. 

She was always my go to car when I needed to go out, its hard to explain what it's like to drive but I just felt so good, kind of special. 

@Cookiesouwest disappointed a few people in the roffle by purchasing her outright and I said goodbye last night.

He has some plans for her and has offered me first dibs when he comes to sell her again, for which I am really grateful. I hope in a few months we will all know where things are going in the world, hopefully a bit better than right now. 

I am going to miss her.