1978 NEC Jazz Mags

Shite Ron

24 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

337043643_Vauxhallpriceguide.thumb.JPG.7a8f80b82ad50622eda536caec597cc9.JPG

I never kept price lists, which is most annoying now. So find this most interesting , things like the overlap between models, if I’d got £3k to spend would I prefer my prehistoric 1256cc to propel a Chevette GL, Viva GLS or Cavalier L.

The Carlton is not looking too promising, the seller replied to my request for underbonnet pics with a curt” it’s all solid, I can’t take pictures” I’ve just been out bid and to be honest I’m not inclined to go more than about £1400/1450 without knowing if it needs any welding. I.ll probably kick myself when I see it on Car and Classic for 4 grand in 6 months, but not knowing when I’m ever going to be earning again, does make me extra cautious. I’m relying on the goodwill of MrsN and 2 of my daughters to eat at the moment, so a spending some of our “ emergency” stash on a rotten Vauxhall could see me living in it !

36 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The Carlton is not looking too promising, the seller replied to my request for underbonnet pics with a curt” it’s all solid, I can’t take pictures” I’ve just been out bid and to be honest I’m not inclined to go more than about £1400/1450 without knowing if it needs any welding.

Is it not within the distance of your permitted daily walk?or en route to the supermarket for emergency grub? I was looking forward to a write up on this and I have bought too many cars this year although it was on my watch list before you expressed an interest.

I do like looking at old price lists. 

Surprised to see that the cheapest automatic Vauxhall was a Cavalier, with a 1600 L two door coming in at less than a Viva 1800 GLS.

There was a yawning gap in the estate car range from the Viva 1300 GLS at £3332 to the Carlton at £5068.  Why no 1800 Viva estate?

3 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Just noticed you could buy a Carlton and a Cavalier coupe for the price of a Royale Coupe, no wonder there were never that many around.

You couldn't, you would be over £600 short.

Interesting to look at the relative expense of options at the time. Air con on the royale? Over 25% of the cost of the base chevette. 

The Royale coupe would have provided you with almost half the cost of a new build 4 bed detached house, which my parents purchased in 1978. At the time they had a  bronze1973 2000GT cortina 2 door.

393F6FF5-6B47-4638-A555-CE82FFCC26F6.thumb.png.dd6062b0f7081f802f120bea81e4c6d0.png
like that but rusty.