Lockdown Quiz!!! c/o Roads.org.uk *answers revealed*

willswitchengage

Some of you may be aware of the incredible website that is www.roads.org.uk (used to be called 'cbrd'). Well, it has posted a quiz to keep budding road enthusiasts such as myself occupied and frustrated.

https://www.roads.org.uk/index.php/blog/lockdown-quiz

The quiz is located at the above link but if anybody wants to join in with a joint AS effort (no prizes, just a bit of fun) please feel free to post your answers below and I'll try and update this post every now and then. Or something. The answers will apparently be posted on the 28th April so there's not long. NO CHEATING although I don't know how it's possible to cheat. I've added the very few answers I could work out.

Also, visit the website. Kudos to the owner for putting this together.

THE QUIZ!

Guess the single numbered road from each of the following clues.

1. I didn't exist at all between 1935 and 1989, and my route today is completely different to my original home. According to the rules, I'm in the wrong zone, but I do at least meet the motorway that shares my number. A42
  2. My number was swapped with that of another road a long time ago. The other road's number wasn't very important, and mine was wanted to make a more impressive-sounding main road to the South West. B3400/A30 Basingstoke A303 - it used to be an obscure road in SW London
  3. In the 1980s someone made a motorway version of me hundreds of miles away in Lancashire. I'm not sure why, because I'm not in Lancashire and I never have been; I'm actually the inner ring road in a city. A601
  4. Bob Dylan took a journey on me to reach a ferry - there's a famous picture of him standing on the slipway, and I was the only road that could have taken him there. I became a lot less important when the ferry was replaced with a suspension bridge. B4055
  5. You'll find me orbiting a capital city, but I'm not yet the perfect ring road - my four-digit number sounds unimportant and I don't join up in the middle. A4232 Cardiff
  6. I'm the motorway spur that has a motorway spur, and I stop for a roundabout in the middle. A627(M)
  7. I'm a piece of motorway history, and one of my road signs was in the Highway Code for years and years - but I no longer exist. A6144(M) or M10 
  8. What did Salford, Bolton and Blackburn do to be cursed with a number like this? A666
  9. My catchy number once belonged to a bypass in North London, but now I'm a much newer road in the north of England. I'll take you to the airport, if you like, or out shopping with the rich and famous. A555
  10. Join me at my starting point to ride on the back of a swine. Stick with me all the way and I'll take you to the spire of an ancient Cathedral city, through the forest and then to the seaside. A31 

Picture round. Obviously just guess the location.

pic01.JPG

Leyland

pic02.jpg

Bulmer Tye, Essex. The sign is actually an 'Accident Black Spot' sign which has a... black spot in the middle.

pic03.jpg

A465 Heads of the Valley Road

pic04.jpg

A441 Northbound, Redditch https://www.google.com/maps/@52.294937,-1.9350495,3a,75y,202.97h,87.7t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqvQO0fPiFhcx5gYFpnE_xw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DqvQO0fPiFhcx5gYFpnE_xw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D38.249477%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

pic05.jpg

A82 Rannoch Moor.

pic06.jpg

Mersey Queensway

pic07.jpg

West Wycombe

pic08.jpg

St John's Wood High Street

pic09.jpg

Camden Town Bypass (not built)

pic10.jpg

Charter Way, London

General trivia round.

1. Which village's name is sometimes used by highway engineers to refer to the four level stack interchange? Almondsbury
  2. Name a font or style of lettering that was developed for use on UK road signs but never used. AES Ministry Transport Light
  3. Something was stolen from under Transport Minister Tom Fraser's nose. What? Motorwarn fog lamps
  4. In which town can you find a flyover that destroyed Old Town and another that locals nicknamed the "Berlin Wall"? Croydon
  5. Which road was home to the UK's first speed camera? A406 N Circular London A316 Twickenham Bridge
  6. Name a road that is subject to a "ghost toll". Various motorways where vehicles are counted automatically and the Highways Agency billed accordingly for maintenance by a private contractor
  7. Where's the underground car park that helped to build the M4? Hyde Park underground car park
  8. What connects Whiteley, Meon, Titchfield and Fareham? Proposed but never built motorway services
  9. Which motorway was used for a Thunderbirds stunt? M40
  10. Which Expressway narrows to a single carriageway to cross the sea? A55 Anglesey

Picture round #2. Where location is shown in each of these historic maps?

map01.jpg

M62-M1 Junction, Leeds.

map02.jpg

Hucclecote, Gloucester

map03.jpg

M6 Junction 15, Stoke

map04.jpg

Brentford (the dashed road is now the A4 Westway urban dual carriageway)

map05.jpg

Bamber Bridge, Preston

map06.jpg

Scotch Corner, N Yorkshire

map07.jpg

Hull

map08.jpg

West of Manchester. The main road is the A580 and the dashed lined will ultimately become the M60.

map09.jpg

St Asaph

map10.jpg

Maidstone

Cryptic clue round. None of these places or entities exist anymore... or did they ever?

1. Twenty miles of metalwork
    The road is split in two
    A badger's name, a queuing quirk
    To help the trucks get through Operation Brock
  2. I could help you over the street
    An animal black and white
    But no-one knew when to use their feet
    When they faced my pulsing light Zebra crossing Panda Crossing
  3. An idea to help where the tunnels are tight
    And the traffic is more stop than go
    But the cost was too high and the birds would take flight
    So the minister's answer was no Newport relief road
  4. I'd stop you when you went to cross
    On each trip back and forth
    My absence was a welcome loss
    For journeys south and north Dartford Crossing tollbooths? Forth Road Bridge tolls
  5. I was just the thing
    But my fame took some knocks
    Am I really a ring
    If they call me a box? London inner Ringway
  6. Everywhere in every part of town
    A yellow sign, blue and red marking
    Now almost all are taken down, but
    Yellow stripes still stop you from parking No stopping at any time sign
  7. Join me crossing a northern town
    Hills and valleys far from the sea
    From my lower deck it's a long way down
    But my upstairs was never to be M606 Bradford
  8. Take a walk on East Street
    You won't get very far
    My ends no longer meet
    Since I gained my nasty scar Addington, Kent, footbridge
  9. Deep underground below water and land
    A terrible place for signals and jam
    The way out to the north's long since banned
    From the road we address with curtseys as ma'am Liverpool Queensway tunnel 
  10. High up in the air
    Named for forces of war
    I used to run both ways
    Now I'm down on the floor Army & Navy flyover, Chelmsford

8 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

49: Queensway Mersey Tunnel?  (There's also one called Kingsway, for those who haven't used them.)

Have you seen the play, Brick up the Mersey Tunnels. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_Up_the_Mersey_Tunnels

The Kingsway Three. 

1 minute ago, willswitchengage said:

As you seem to post an answer every ~hour I have reached the conclusion that you are REALLY bored this afternoon surfing Google Maps...

Ha!

I’m doing gardening and coming back to it on my frequent tea breaks.

Google Maps only needed for quick verification purposes, honest — I’m not bored enough to be driving every road in the country on StreetView. Not quite. Not yet.

20 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

I’m sure that white building by the zebra crossing is (or was) a pub I used to drink in. It’s bugging me. Fulham/Chelsea somewhere?

I may remember it better if I drink a lot of beer and vodka.

That one is easy to cheat - I just Googled the name of the opticians behind it...

By 'used to drink in' I assume you mean four weeks ago, before the FUN POLICE arrived.

48 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

That one is easy to cheat - I just Googled the name of the opticians behind it...

By 'used to drink in' I assume you mean four weeks ago, before the FUN POLICE arrived.

I mean fifteen years ago, before middle age arrived ?