Early Mondeo Saloon Saved From The Scrapman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, can't believe I haven't posted on here since the MoT fail in November.
This project is now going from bad to worse. Having finally managed to remove the cam belt and all the pulleys I only need to remove the water pump and I can start reassembly with new bits. Four bolts, all visible and easily accessible, so no problem. But wait, the hose outlet for the water pump is hidden behind the power-steering pump, so that needs to come off. No pictures or diagrams in the HBOL but it says remove the four bolts, the front ones are accessed through holes in the PS pump pulley. Impossible to see the bolts behind the pulley as it is only about an inch away from the inner wing rail and doesn't appear to be removable. I can feel the heads of three bolts through the holes in the pulley but I can't see to get a socket on them. Even if I could I think there is no chance of getting them out without losing the socket and at least one of the bolts. I also cannot see any sign of the supposed fourth bolt, so there is no point in trying to get the other three out if I can't find number four. Even if I could get the pump off I don't see how I could ever get it back on again as trying to get three bolts back through the holes in the pulley, then the holes in the pump, then threaded into the tapped holes in the engine block while working completely blind appears to be pretty much impossible. I am now used to having to take off loads of other stuff to access the part I need to remove and so far I have at least managed to do this, but this has me baffled.
Does anyone know how to remove  and replace this pump?
@sierraman ?  @egg ?
TIA for any help.

The pulley has holes in it to access the retaining bolts, I think I’ve got a PAS pump somewhere I’ll have a look

I don’t think the bolts need to come out completely, just backwards enough not to hold it to the engine. I have a pulley but it’s in one of my sheds, I’ll have a look at the weekend.

dunno how I missed this post..

Gorgeous Ghia, mates got an L plate Ghia or Si he's recently dragged back from his parents house, been in his family since it was 18months old..fair bit of grot on rear arches, but otherwise tidy..he also rebuilt the head when it was 4 or 5 years old as cambelt failed on him..same wheels as this one too..

OHHH the K reg close to me, turns out to be an L reg..LOL actually managed to look at the reg today!!!

16 hours ago, egg said:

245732004_IMG_20210218_1804172.thumb.jpg.d916038373904c4b59365b49419c7dcf.jpg

Thanks for the diagrams. I have done all the other steps shown but on the actual car the "Detach the bottom hose at the water pump" sketch looks completely different. It is impossible to even see the hose stub on the water pump, let alone remove the hose. I think this must have been drawn with the power steering pump already removed, so I still have the same problem.

52 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Thanks for the diagrams. I have done all the other steps shown but on the actual car the "Detach the bottom hose at the water pump" sketch looks completely different. It is impossible to even see the hose stub on the water pump, let alone remove the hose. I think this must have been drawn with the power steering pump already removed, so I still have the same problem.

Frustrating.

Here are the PAS pump removal instructions...such as they are.

IMG_20210219_115531.thumb.jpg.cfcd03ea8efb3d08429c7c2d954af5b0.jpg

IMG_20210219_115649.thumb.jpg.c47747d67bbaeafd8c1ecb88bd6b444c.jpg

Im assuming you’ve removed the lower aux belt cover from inside the wheel arch, this should allow you access. You’d have needed to do this anyway to get the gun on the bottom pulley bolt. 

Also, check underneath the pump with your hand, it may have a single 15mm bolt bolting it to the head pointing toward the back of the car. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Frustrating.

Here are the PAS pump removal instructions...such as they are.

IMG_20210219_115649.thumb.jpg.c47747d67bbaeafd8c1ecb88bd6b444c.jpg

Thanks for this. It does look as though the front three bolts have to be removed through the pulley but at least I can now see the location of the fourth bolt threading into the top of the pump from the back. I will look again when I get a chance.

I'm reminded of my friend's father's K Reg; K***VKE. Metallic Red. It got many looks from the School Run Massiv as we were driven straight* home. 

Good memories! My first experience in a car with a big engine was the same chap's Mondeo. 

It was a V6 in an Atlantic Blue like colour. Context; I had a newish Lupo and the deal was someone should move it if the Parking Attendant appears. 

Obviously one did* so I had** to drive it around the block as agreed. 

I'm good like that... 😇

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to get the power steering pump off. Completely different to the above diagram. Instead of the fourth bolt going in to the top of the pump from the back it actually goes into the bottom. But it is hidden behind the heat shield over the exhaust manifold, which has to be taken off to access it. Removal reveals this:

20210307_155117.thumb.jpg.98913ef2ec5f89b688ec20e0a174c44b.jpg

The water pump hose connection is buried inside a huge cast metal bracket with the only access from the top left quadrant. It has a stupid squeeze to release clip on it which only opened about 10mm and was really, really tight. I eventually managed to wriggle a pair of mole grips in and clamp it fully open but it was so deeply sunk into the rubber hose that I still couldn't persuade it to release, especially since it was impossible to get any leverage on the bottom or the right-hand side of the clip. Normally I would have just cut the hose off and replaced it, but the bottom hose on this thing is like nothing I have ever seen before, a sort of bizarre pentopus thing like so:

20210319_171001.thumb.jpg.84c230ab43e52a9ab14ef633a1606a47.jpg

These are not easily available and where they are they cost about £50! And anyway the hose would not pass through the hole in the bracket with the clip still on it. In desperation I managed to get a Dremel with a cutting disc as far in as possible and carefully cut through the clip without damaging the hose too much, thus removing about a quarter of the clip's circumference. But the bl**dy thing still wouldn't budge. Gave up in disgust and retired indoors for "due consideration" of the solution.
Returned to it the next day with a new idea. Removed the other four bottom hose stubs from their attachments, then unbolted the water pump and managed to pull it left and hammer the hose and the remains of the clip back through the hole in the bracket. This allowed me to then twist the water pump and get access to the right-hand side of the clip. With the aid of four screwdrivers I eventually managed to prise the clip off and the hose finally came free of the water pump stub, allowing the pump to at last be removed.

20210316_180417.thumb.jpg.8a6eb1e5af2688e6c5905ad55645595e.jpg

Looks pretty manky in there, the water pump has obviously been leaking and was probably (hopefully) the cause of the graunching noise that stopped the MoT tester doing the emissions test.

From a useful link posted on this thread I bought a new water pump from Amazon for the bargain price of £10. Unfortunately it did not come with a new gasket and when attempting to buy one I discovered that they appear to be unobtanium. I only found one seller listing on Ebay and that was for the 1.6 & 1.8 engines only. Who would have guessed that the 2.0 litre is different? It was also about £14, more than I paid for the pump. So I made one out of gasket paper:

20210324_123056.thumb.jpg.ed038fd157c22b63e87345bae127aac4.jpg

Not pretty but will hopefully do the job.

Lots of shiny new bits fitted:

20210324_162251.thumb.jpg.913612fad67b99bfa6622865204234d9.jpg

New water pump, cam belt, idler pulleys and tensioner.

Everything now put back together. Turn the ignition key and wait for loud and terminal bang from wrecked engine because I got the belt timing wrong. But no! Started immediately with no nasty noises. But what is this? Starting the engine without touching the accelerator the revs gradually climb to about 4,500rpm and stay there. The mechanical throttle linkage is working fine and if I disconnect the MAF sensor plug it ticks over at about 1,000rpm but very lumpy and is reluctant to rev, although can just about be driven gently. I have checked for any obvious leaks in the air intake system and cleaned the MAF but the problem persists. It was running fine before the cam belt work and I only removed and then replaced the air intake stuff for access This car really does not want to be saved and doesn't realise how close it is getting to the scrapyard. My patience is wearing thin (again). Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any suggestions gratefully received.

If it needs to go to the scrapyard bring it to the fod and we can let it grenade itself on axle stands whilst you raise a toast... 

Equally that stinks of some sort of sensor or wire trickery. Had it once mid overtake but it was the pedal getting hooked under the mat, that was briefly scary

This Gates lower rad hose is a little cheaper at £40 rather than £50. Just check version if needed though as there some variants I believe. This number is for manual non-air con in theory 1013384

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gates-3811-GAT-Radiator-Hose/dp/B00AJW15CG

Bad idle is a very common Zetec issue unfortunately. 

Well done for doing all the bits you have done so far, it's all good work!

There's also an unbranded one here for £27, but may be a false economy if you can't get one of the inevitably slightly rusty connections to seal.

3 hours ago, greengartside said:

I think it could possibly be the Power steering switch. Same thing happened on my dad’s one. Change that and you’ll be reet I’d say?

Sierraman sent me a spare recently, it could be sent on if needed. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
    • By SiC
      Placeholder topic for now. Currently in @Steve79 mums garage but hopefully transported sometime this month. Mostly down to when @worldofceri passes by next. No rush as I have plenty of other projects on the go, just with Spring coming up quick, I'm looking forward to buzzing around in this. So don't expect anything too exciting to happen for a few weeks yet.
      I was hoping the Dolomite would be drivable by now but that's not looking likely. So I'll have to either do the work on this on the drive, cart the Dolomite down to storage over spring/summer or send this off to a professional for it to be sorted. It'll need an MOT anyway, but I'd like to get some of the key things sorted before then.
      Main issues for the MOT:
      Dash clocks don't work. Battery has leaked in the original board and damaged the traces. Have another set of dash clocks here and I hope to make a good one out of the two. Something I'll definitely have to do as most mechanics won't want to touch soldering up PCBs. Brake pedal doesn't fully go to the top of its travel, unless you assist it by pulling it up. I believe the Rev mentioned corrosion at the top of the pedal or something that just needs cleaning odd. Cambelt. This one scares me everytime the engine is started. Label under the bonnet says last changed in 1998 and that's almost certainly true. Steve has done a few hundred miles on it two years ago, but I don't have the guts or will to do a cambelt roulette myself on it. Plus I don't believe they're that difficult to change. Possibly needs some welding on the NSF. I'll clean the area up and if it's small I may do it myself. Alternatively let my local garage pickup on it at MOT time and let them sort it if it's a problem. So hopefully a quick project to get back on the road. That's the intention anyway as I don't have time for too much more, given the Dolomite is taking my time up and the others need fettling too (1100 front calipers and also selling it, MGB service). Likely scenario is getting the above list done so I can drive it to the MOT station and let them sort anything else out needed for that if anything other comes up.

• By mk2_craig
      Folks.  I don't care that the subject matter of this thread is, relatively-speaking, basically a new car.  I'm calling it shite and anybody who disagrees after letting the pictures do the talking can vanish off up their own arse as far as I'm concerned.
      With that out the way, here's the first bit of the tale.  I'll be brief.  Up until last August my wife was running this Astra Twintop of 2007 vintage.  Luxurious with the top spec "Design" trim level complete with comedy useless early built-in satnav tech, quick with the 2 litre Turbo motor.  Just about 34k on the clock at that point, and it had been treated to four new tyres the previous month.  Drove lovely.

She then decides that a Mini convertible would be the way to go.  Here's the newest one she could find within budget :

R57, registered mid 2010, Cooper S with the 1.6 turbo engine.  Looks alright eh?  

Ok, it has some wheel and tyre-related issues.

Admittedly, some perished rubber seals would want dealing with.

Granted, those wipers are shagged.

And those shitty, SHITTY "Cooper script" decals are way past their best, as are the faded and peeling bonnet stripes.

Chunk missing outa that A-pillar trim, and what about that aerial?

Oh.

Someones only gone and nicked the COOPER S badges, but at least the bodywork's tidy, right?

Hmmm.  Well, at least it still has a full set of locking nuts, doesn't it?

OH COME ON!!!!

So the background is that one of our local Polish car traders took it in as a part-ex against something better.  Usually he would smarten it up to punt on at a nice profit, but with his bodyshop man out of action he wanted this one off the books pronto and put it up for a couple of grand below the going rate.  I think most on here would have probably recommended walking away as rapidly as possible, but I can only conclude that I was high that day, because apparently we agreed a deal in which he took the Astra PLUS CASH against this tatty BINI.   Therefore it's been on fleet strength for the last seven and a half months.
      WCPGW??
    • By captain_70s
      Hullo,

I'm a masochist from Leeds who is running two rusty, worn out Triumph Dolomites as my only transport in rural Aberdeenshire. You might recognise me from various other forums and Facebook groups. Realistically I need to buy a modern car of some sort, but instead I find myself looking at £300 Citroen BXs and Triumph Acclaims on Gumtree and thinking "yeah, that'd fit right in with the rest of the broken cars I can't afford".

On to the cars, the main attraction being my 1976 1850HL "50 Shades of Yellow" that I bought for £850 and is currently my daily driver, here is a picture of it before I sanded off some surface rust and sprayed it badly in the wrong shade of yellow with rattle cans:

Within a month of purchase I managed to plant it in to a steel fence backwards after a botched gear change on a wet roundabout and ruined the N/S rear wing, although judging by the other dent that's packed with filler it looks like somebody had already done the same. I also managed to destroy a halfshaft and one of my Sprint alloys (good for an extra 15hp) in the incident, so now it's sitting on it's original steelies but painted black (good for an extra 5hp).

It's only broken down on me twice. once with some sort of fuel delivery related problem which may or may not have been an empty fuel tank and once when the thermostat jammed shut and it overheated and blew out some O-rings for the cooling system. It has recently developed a taste for coolant and oil which is rather annoying, although it's done 89,300 miles which is about 80,000 more miles than BL engineering is designed to last, I'm keeping my eye on eBay for replacement engines... 
      I tried to keep ahead of the rust a bit by rubbing down the arches and re-painting them, but apparently rattle can paint isn't great when you are spraying it at -5C, it also highlighted how although my car might have been Inca Yellow in 1976 it's now more of a "cat piss" sort of shade. So I ended up with the wrong shade of yellow which has rust coming back through after 5 weeks. Did I mention I'm incompetent?

The other car is the first "classic" car I bought, so I can't bear to sell it. It's a '77 Dolomite 1300 and it cost £1400 (about £400 too much) and has been nothing but a pain in the arse:

It looks much prettier (from 100 yards) but that's most due to the darker paintwork hiding the rust. It lives a mollycoddled life in my garage, where it somehow still manages to rust, and is utterly rubbish. 0-60 is measured on a calendar, top speed is 80ish but at that point it uses more oil than petrol, it rarely ventures over 50mph and if you encounter an incline of any sort you can kiss that sort of speed goodbye, along with about £20 of 20W50 as it vanishes out of the exhaust in the form of blue smoke.

One of the PO's had clearly never heard of the term "oil change" so it developed into brown sludge that coated everything internally with the next owner(s) blissfully pouring fresh oil on top of it. This lasted until about 600 miles into my ownership when there was muffled "pop" from the engine bay and the car became a 3-cylinder. The cause was catastrophic wear to the top end causing a rocker arm to snap:

As this was my first classic car I'd assumed it was supposed to sound like the engine was full of marbles, it wasn't.

I put the engine back together with second hand bits declared it utterly fucked and promptly did another 5000 miles with it. After about 3500 of those miles the oil burning started, valve seals have gone so it's been relegated to my parent's garage as a backup car and something to take to local car shows as the 1850 is now embarrassingly ugly. I'm keeping my eye on eBay for replacement engines (deja vu, anybody?) Oh, I also recently reversed it into a parked Ford Fiesta and royally fucked up the rear bumper, rear panel and bootlid. Did I mention I'm incompetent?

There have been two other cars in my life. My first car, a 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.0 an it's replacement a 2012 Corsa 1.4T. I didn't really want either of them, but it's a long story involving my parents and poor life choices. Ask if you want to hear it!

So that's a brief summary of my current shite. If you want more pictures or details of anything do say as I've got photos of almost everything I'd done with the cars.
    • By Shirley Knott
      Greetings all.

After lurking here for a short while, frankly liking what I see and enjoying the various shite, the site has well and truly struck a chord with me. I'm a serial buyer of ropey sub £1k vehicles, don't have to but genuinely enjoy it.

I feel like I might (Just might) have found my 'spiritual' home here

I've been posting across the web on owner specific forums (Usually using either my JoeyEunos or RandomPrecion handles) for a while now, but from here-on-in I will pull my threads together and merge them here into one ghastly topic.

My current steeds...

Lupo 1.7 SDI

SAM_5560 by

and the work/story so far...http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102863-joeyeunoss-sdi-beater/

Golf Mk4 SDI

SAM_5531 by

and the thread.... http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/597074-project-slow/

Early (1989) Mk1 Eunos (This one was recently sold)

SAM_4656 by

the thread...http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213274

Other shite I've owned and moved on in the last year include this ropey Passat...

SAM_6011 by

and this legendary £300 Fiesta Finesse...

Festa by

Cars I'd like to own/actively looking for in the forthcoming weeks/months/years...

Rover 75 (Dizzler)
      Peugeot 405 (XUD)
      Mk1 Octavia (Estate/dizzler, pre pd or SDI)
      Honda CRV (Gen1)
      Volvo 240/850